“First look at remodel; great sleep and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Sydney

You added Swissotel Sydney to your Saves list
Swissotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level 8 | 68 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
NEW INTRODUCTORY PACKAGE
Ranked #22 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
SF bay area
“First look at remodel; great sleep and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

To avoid the stress of a connection before an international flight, I decided to spend one night and a half day in Sydney before flying home to the U.S. I wanted a central location near the AirTrain and near the Opera House that wasn't too expensive but that would be a comfortable experience. I really chose well with Swissotel.

(I was hoping not to have to pay $200, but it seems to get someplace decent in Sydney this is a requirement. I did get a good rate via Expedia.)

It threatened to not be a good experience at first, since I arrived late-ish (10pm) and when I got to my room I had two twin beds instead of the promised king bed. When I tried to call the front desk, their new phone service was a hindrance, not a help (apparently it was not really working properly at that time). So back to the front desk I went where the staff kept talking about their managers. This annoyed me; how hard can it be to see that the computer was incorrect about which beds were in which rooms?

It turned out the fuss was about the fact that they were upgrading me to a fancy bigger room on a special floor where they are testing out the new remodel for the entire hotel. Although I think the old design is also quite elegant and was in very good shape, I do concede that the new design is more au courant. I've attached photos to show how nice it looks.

I slept really really well -- the bed was one of the best I've ever experienced. No aches or pains in the morning. And they gave me free internet even though I don't think it was in my Expedia package, so that was really excellent.

Finally, because it was unseasonably cold (45 degrees F) I decided to stay in for their breakfast, and boy was I glad I did. They gave me the discount rate of $25, which for Australia really is a bargain, at least compared to what I was paying in the Gold Coast, and this was one of the best breakfast layouts I've ever head, rivaling resorts in Kauai. I sure am glad I stayed in rather than trying to find something open on Sunday morning in the cold.

And then just 15 minute walk to the Opera house, and the Contemporary Art Museum was open at 10am. This gave me time for art and then back to the hotel where the porters were incredibly nice and helpful about how to take the train back to the airport -- so fast, so convenient, and so cheap. $14 instead of $45 which is reportedly what a cab costs. I really recommend the AirTrain and staying at a hotel that is near it like the Swissotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I spent 5 very comfortable nights in the very busy school holiday period and the efficient and helpful staff kept everything running smoothly. The hotel is located opposite the State Theatre and close to shopping malls, restaurants etc - ideal for the mid-year sales. Minor disappoint was the lacklustre breakfast, but hotel is well worth return visits.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed for 1 night in a room with 2 double beds. Room was tidy but small. Booked for 4 people and was only given 2 towels. Also breakfast was supposed to be included, and we were refused, and we weren't late. If you are booking for 4 people I would advise that you get 2 rooms as the room was quite small and stuffy. The valet parkers aswell as the front doormen and luggage handlers were fantastic! Very friendly and welcoming. As for reception, they weren't the nicest of people, pretty sour actually. And as for the restaurant staff that were on for breakfast that morning were absolutely rude. I would stay again, but would choose a different room. Also I would look into other hotels before staying here again.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

SSYSwissotel, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Natasha N,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us here in Sydney, I do appreciate it.

I have passed your comments onto the Front Office Manager and Executive Housekeeper for immediate review and investigation and I do hope we are able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Fabulous, friendly hotel in a great location. Would highly recommend the executive club lounge and facilities...

Rooms were nice and a lovely view from the 24th floor.

A place I will definitely go back to.... :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

good location, hotel is old, lighting could be better, did not have a good overall hotel experience. reception tried to charge for breakfast, although we did not ave breakfast! rater cheap effort really. however, they rectified the error.

Dear Pretesh K,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience overall. Our aim is to provide a quality experience to all of our guests and it is very unfortunate that this was not the case on this occasion.

Our Front Office Manager is aware of the situation and will be in contact very soon.

Albany, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

recently i was delayed in Sydney due to my husbands ill health. i hadto relocate and found accommodation available at Swissotel.
It was affordable 5 Star.. I felt so safe and well looked after. in a very uncertain time. i highly recommend staying at this great hotel. the location is the best for sightseeing and shopping !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Kogarah

Everything was perfect.
Could do with more lighting so I wouldn't have to rely on lamps while getting dressed at night!

Check in is at 3pm. However on booking.com it's 2pm. Luckily staff let me check in as my room a as ready.

Dear Teuila Y,

I am so happy to read that you had such a perfect stay with us and I do hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

We have recently changed our arrival time from 2pm to 3pm across all booking methods. I have spoken to the appropriate departments to do an audit of this and I can assure you that the changes have been implemented.

Christian Hirt

Been to Swissotel Sydney? Share your experiences!