“Above the Sydney tower & a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Sydney

You added Swissotel Sydney to your Saves list
Swissotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level 8 | 68 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
NEW INTRODUCTORY PACKAGE
Ranked #23 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Gurgaon, India
“Above the Sydney tower & a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

On ground level at Market Street, a non descript entrance to this hotel doesnt exactly create the best first impression. However, when you're whisked up to the lobby on the 8th floor (Yes, the hotel starts from there upwards) and checked in to a clean modern room, the apprehensions disappear. I had a comfortable stay without any complaints. The service was satisfactory and efficient, but not necessarily awe inspiring :-)

The BEST thing about the hotel is the location. From here, one can pretty much cover all the sights of Sydney on foot. A nice ten minute stroll down pitt street, which is just around the bend will get you to the circular quay from where you can choose to explore the Opera house or the Harbour Bridge or the rocks or take a cruise or.....you get it right? Another ten minute walk will take you to Darling harbour and a five minute trot will find you in the lush environs of Sydney's very own Hyde park. If you're in the mood to shop, there's plenty of options on Pitt & George streets, which are both round the bend.

All in all, a great location to explore Blue Sky Sydney! Oh and before I forget, my window put me squarely face to face with the top of the Sydney Tower - another one of Sydney's many attractions.

• Liked — Location. Conveniently close to major attractions.
  • Disliked — The entrance at ground level on Market street.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I stayed at Swissotel twice in a week - once at the start of my stay in Australia and once at the end. On both occasions I had a wonderful time and no complaints at all.

I got a discounted rate for the Executive Club Room on the internet - and it was worth paying a bit more for a great room, good view and excellent lounge. I didn't get to sample the cocktails and canapes but the breakfasts were delicious! The staff were friendly, accommodating and helpful. On my second stay I got a room that didn't have a coffee machine (there are excellent coffee machines there and after being in the UK for the last 4 months the one thing I needed was a good coffee!) - I asked at reception if they were able to provide one - instead they gave me a much nicer room with a balcony and said coffee machine - nothing was too much trouble and all of my requests were greeted with a smile.

The next time I go back to Sydney, I'll definitely choose Swissotel!

• Liked — The views from my room
  • Disliked — Unable to get wireless internet without having to go down to reception - it would have been nice to have it sorted in room!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

This is a good hotel near the shopping areas and right next door to the tower with the 360 observation platform. We had booked an executive room - the room was massive and the bed was huge! Very clean. No real complaints. The breakfasts were ok but to be honest i had expected it to be much better quality from a hotel like this. Although the hotel is nice, clean, spacious, etc. i would probably choose somehwere nearer to Sydney harbour bridge/Opera house area next time as that's where we mostly spent our evenings. It's not far from darling harbour - about an 8 minute walk. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Opera house.

• Liked — Huge rooms and bed
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

The Swisshotel was our first stop on our Australian holiday. We arrived direct from Glasgow at 8am in the morning with our two small children in tow - aged 2 and 1. I had booked on the internet and got a fabulous deal for our one night stay (including breakfast) and was fully expecting to have to wait until 2pm to check in. But no, we were in our room at 8.30am. Wonderful...except I had asked on my internet booking for a room with 2 double beds rather than a king bed (so our 2 year old would have a bed). I rang down to reception. No problem to change, except the new room would not be ready till 12pm. So, they said, stay in that room and treat it as your own and when the new one is ready we will move your things for you. So we all had a shower and curled up in bed to have a sleep. While we were at lunch our things went to our new room, which was high up and had a wonderful view.
The location above Myer is brilliant and you couldn't ask for anything more central. We also loved the pool and other leisure facilities. I thought the customer service was exceptional and made what could have been a miserable morning hanging about into a wonderful start to our holiday.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

The Swissotel in Sydney was our last hotel of our stay in Australia. At the time the pricing was excellent for its star ranking though I was a bit wary that its location would be noisy during the day but also far from activities. Neither was the case. The staff was really friendly, the room was very comfortable with a great view. While we don't allow our hotel stays to make or break a holiday as some who post here do, this was a very comfortable, safe and relaxing stay. One down side was that a large American church group was conferencing there and we did not want be 7500 miles from home to be surrounded by other Americans. This down side could not be help so we did not let get us down. We'd definitely recommend this hotel to our friends who travel to Australia and we'd stay there again if we get the chance to return.

• Liked — Amenities and location
  • Disliked — There were nothing to not like
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

Booked the Endless Weekend package which i thought was great value - included perks such as a $50 myer voucher, valet parking, 4pm checkout and breakfast until 2pm (i.e. if you missed the breakfast buffet which finished at 10.30am, you can order room service - nice touch). I had high expections seeing as it is a 5* hotel and rated 5th for popularity on TripAdvisor. For reference we were looking for a romantic long weekend in a central location with good spa facilities.

POSITIVES

For a 5* hotel with 5* rates the Swissotel has the usual positives. Our room was on the corner of the 22nd floor with two large windows facing the Centrepoint Tower. Clean nicely furnished rooms, clean bathrooms with plenty of toiletries - first hotel ive seen that has body gel and body scrub, wall mounted flat screen TV and a coffee machine. Swimming pool was heated and jacuzzi was strong.

NEGATIVES

TV - is mounted on the wall but does not extend and swivels slightly.. As we were in a corner room with 2 windows, the TV was mounted on the next wall and facing the hallway and bedside table rather then the actual bed. This could just be in the corner room though due to lack of space.

Room- again maybe because it was a corner room, but our room was tiny. The armchair actually sat flush between the window and bed. Mimimal towels provided in bathroom.

Parking -
The hotel faces onto Market Street and does not have its own driveway/entrance. There are 6 no parking/taxi stand spots out front and my partner had to wait in the car for fear of getting booked whilst i ran in to get the concierge/porter/bellboy?? to come out and take our keys. He was quite young and i think i heard him speaking Japanese?, was very efficient and friendly I wish I took down his name. The front entrance consists of a concierge desk and 3 lifts, you need to take the lifts up to the main lobby on level 8 (i.e. the first floor available directly above Myers 7 floors). There are no signs to say checkin on 8th floor. Over the next 3 days we learnt to call for the car at least 20mins before we left the room as we were waiting on a couple of occasions and there is only 2 seats on the ground floor. Also if you return after 11pm there is no-one manning the front desk on the ground floor and you need to swipe with your room key to get in. I could see how this would be annoying if you were checking in late at night.

Spa -
We chose Swissotel as they have an Amrita spa and we were looking at getting several treatments over the weekend. As it was the long weekend they were naturally busy and we were booked in at 9am. As at other spas and as advised in the hotel directory we arrived 10mins early to fill out paperwork, get changed and use sauna facilities. The spa was deserted and hotel staff were vacumming the general spa/lift area. Not very tranquil. No-one turned up until just after 9am and they were slow to acknowledge us and give us robes/changeroom keys. Even if they were running late they could at least send us to the changerooms/sauna before turning on the computer etc.

Breakfast -
We were told upon checkin that as we have breakfast until 2pm, if we miss the JPB buffet then to order breakfast in the Crossroads bar. We went down to the bar but there was no-one attending. Went to the restaurant and the girl hurridly advised us if you missed breakfast you order room service. I asked if that meant we get charged and she said yes and walked away. By then there was a girl at the bar and we went and asked her, relaying what reception had told us yesterday and what the restaurant had just told us. She went over to the restaurant and basically said she didnt know what to do about it , can they handle it in the restaurant. By then the girl in the restaurant (Alexandria?) explained to us that they have a function in the restaurant today, to order room service, mention that we have the package and we wont be charged...if she had just said that the first time!

Room service breakfast was ok, my bircher muesli looked like leftovers from the buffet - just slop and no fruit or yoghurt on the side. They forgot a few things with my partners full breakfast, e.g. the juice, the pastries but were very quick to bring them up when we rang them.

Swipe cards - stopped working twice. Also you need to swipe between floors which i think is unneccessary, i.e. from the pool/spa level within the hotel. Usually you just need to swipe from the lobby access floor?

We were charged for 2 days valet upon checkout when it clearly shows what package we are on however they removed it when we told them.

OVerall although I have listed quite a few negatives I would stay here again minus the spa activities....its in a prime location for a shopping weekend with the girls so I understand the limited ground floor space and parking issue which in turn compounds the time it takes for them to retrieve your car offsite. But for a romantic quality stay within the same vicinity to shopping I would recommend the Westin or might try the Sheraton next time.

The rest of our issues arised from wavering service levels, miscommunication and lack of communication from staff - I recently returned from an overseas trip to Asia and felt like i was back there with the same communication issues on the phone with Room Service, with the Spa and with Restaurant reception.

• Liked — Proximity to Pitt St Mall
  • Disliked — Service levels
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SwissotelSydney, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 23, 2008
We appreciate the guests’ praise for our fittings, location and friendly concierge staff however it was disappointing to read of our shortcomings in communication and inconsistencies in our service levels.

I am sorry to learn there was some confusion regarding the breakfast package inclusion. All package inclusions are clearly stated on guests’ bookings and it is unfortunate our team did not respond promptly to this request. We have taken steps to ensure better communication amongst the team in future.

This experience does not reflect our usual high standards of service, and we have used this feedback to further reinforce with our Front Line team our commitment to our guests.

Regarding the Amrita Spa, we have shared the comments with Spa Management for immediate improvement, and will ensure this environment remains an oasis of calm for our guests, with vacuum cleaning taking place outside of opening hours. We apologise for the delay in commencing their treatments.

Additionally, we acknowledge there have been difficulties with our swipe card system in the past, however we have recently upgraded our key encoder, which will prevent such issues occurring in future.

Although these guests have raised some valid concerns, we are delighted to learn they do plan to stay with us again in the future. Pierre U. Stacher - General Manager.
Brisbane, Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed two nights at the Swissotel Sydney and it was great. I booked on a weekend special - otherwise this hotel would be out of my price range.

The weekend away was a girls weekend away so the hotel was perfect for shopping - with Myer downstairs and the Pitt St Mall. It was also a 15 minute walk to Circular Key & the Opera House, however, the weather was terrible so it was a $7 cab fare. Cockle Bay and the fabulous dining and restaurants was only 10 minute stroll. The beautiful Hyde Park only 5mins.

We got from the airport to the hotel via train which was very convenient. We were able to leave our bags at the hotel in the morning before the 2pm check-in.

The concierge staff were very obliging, useful and effective.

The best things about this hotel were the concierge staff, the rooms (fresh and well maintained), and the location.

Am staying here again. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Concierge service, location, room cleanliness, quietness of room
  • Disliked — We received a wake-up call we did not order at 4.30 am we were very upset
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Swissotel Sydney? Share your experiences!