“Very comfortable room with a good view of the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Swissotel Sydney to your Saves list
Swissotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level 8 | 68 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Seasonal Saver- 20% off
Ranked #21 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Makati, Philippines
“Very comfortable room with a good view of the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My stay in Sydney is at the tail end of my trip to AUS. I have always loved Swissotels and this did not fail. Location is at the middle of CBD, which is central to shopping areas and restaurants. Check-in was a breeze. My room was at a end of the hall and had a sort of irregular shape, which I thought gave the room and interesting feel. It was very clean, sheets were smooth and comfy. Service was excellent. Had dinner at the hotel's resto and I have to say that it's been my best hotel meal in my entire trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

1,975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was on level 23, which is marked on the lift button as "Executive Club" but the hotel website says that only levels 24 and 25 are Executive Club rooms. The only difference seems to be a slightly larger TV.

The hotel lobby is on level 8 and you have to use a different lift to get to the accommodation floors. I did not try the restaurant or bar.

The room had a great view of Centrepoint Tower and the eastern suburbs. It was above Pitt Street Mall. The room was well appointed and there were about a dozen channels on the TV - free-to-air plus a handful of cable ones. The bed was very comfortable and there was even a pillow menu in case you needed a special pillow.

The location is very central, but keep in mind that dining options are a decent walk away in Chinatown and the random venue in the CBD. Most others shut by 6 pm.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Devyn H, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about the hotel room views, our popular pillow menu and comfortable beds. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our website is correct in mentioning levels 24 and 25 are our Executive levels. Previously Level 23 was an Executive level but has since changed and we are in the process of updating the signage in our lifts to reflect this. The front office team will always make our guests aware if they are staying on an Executive level of the hotel.

I agree, our central location is great for guests looking to explore Sydney and its surroundings. On your next visit time please do enjoy dinner in our restaurant Just pure bistro, an affordable dining option in the heart of Sydney – I promise this will not be shut at 6pm!

Look forwarding to being your host in Sydney again soon.

Warmest regards,
Daniel Fueglister
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights during our family visit to Australia. Although i must confess we did not do our homework properly; however we hit the Jackpot with the Hotel as it had a fantastic location. Most places that you would want to visit was within walking distance - like - Darling Harbour, Harbour Bridge, Opera House & Hyde Park. Shopping was also great as Westfield was next door and more importantly the "One Direction" store was within a 4 minute walk; that went down like a big treat for the girls!

The reception staff were very helpful; however they could not get house keeping to try and organise a firmer mattress as I have an aggravated lower back issue and after the long tiring days walking around one would "die" for a decent bed! Despite being there for 6 nights this firm mattress was too much of a request for this apparent 5* establishment.

The restaurant within the hotel was very expensive to say the least and i was glad that we had booked a bed and breakfast package as i would have hated spending $30 (£21.50 at the time) each for the 4 of us for this privilege for the 6 days that we were there. I think most will agree that it is best considered as daylight robbery first thing in the morning! The drinks at the bar opposite the reception also were questionably priced? The bonus was that we got a hold of the Pizza Hut delivery number and the hotel were happy to allow pizza deliveries to the room; this sufficed for a couple of the nights as when you are very tired after a long days sightseeing you don't really want to get dressed to go out to eat?

All in all for the money invested this was a good place to stay to explore Sydney.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Busselton, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 nights here - we were upgraded to a slightly larger room which gave us space for 2 adults, 2 kids and a cot. We like how they welcome family groups here. The location was fantastic - we could walk outside turn the corner and into the Pitt St mall. Walk to Darling Harbour etc. Service was good. We wished breakfast was included or at least affordable. The only negative was the very few family restaurants within short walking distance - this seemed very frustrating given the central location. The kids enjoyed the pool - although would have loved a games room or similar.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have stayed only for a night. We booked an interconnecting kids room for our kids 2 & 4 year olds. The kids room was excellent, had lots of toys, kids DVDs, bean bags, little play tent and lots of cuddly toys. It was so fun just to be in the room.
The location is also great - close to everything in the city.
Only one small issue we had was the internal door between our 2 rooms. Once one door was shut, we could not open from the other room. so we had to ensure we kept a set of keys in each room. Very happy with the hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback on our special kids room, we are thrilled your family enjoyed it as much as we do.

In regards to the inter-connecting door, as they are not always in use it is ensured the door cannot be opened from both sides for security reasons. However I do appreciate your comment and will look into whether a solution can be provided.

I look forward to having you at the hotel again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Daniel Fueglister
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The factors driving our choice of hotel was location, price and the little bit extra offered for our children. The location was for us sensational. Set in the heart of the CBD within walking distance of the Rocks, the Opera house, Darling Harbour and Hyde Park. Great shopping around the corner (QVB & Westfield), the revamped Gowings building across the road, easy access to public transport and taxis. It made accessibility that much easier especially with 6 year olds.

The price we paid through Expedia was appropriate for the standard of hotel which I would rate as more 4 star. The revamped lobby and bar area look modern, new and funky. The room however showed its age in an appropriate way. It met our needs and was what we expected generally. The fridge is small with items geared towards a single male businessman, the TV on the small side of medium, but the bathroom was a good size with separate bath and shower and the beds very comfortable.

We were unable to get the kids interconnecting room but for an extra amount the Hotel provided a DVD player with DVDs and decorated the room with children's toys. The problem was that the toys were appropriate for 3 year olds not 6 year olds, which disappointed our children. The person responsible for selecting age appropriate toys either had no clue or was limited by a range of toys chosen by someone without a clue. We did not however raise this at the time so gave the Hotel no opportunity to rectify it, even if it could.

We did not eat in - the breakfast offering was very expensive for a family of 4 with 2 young children who could not possibly eat enough to justify the cost. Choices of venues close by gave us breakfast at 1/3 the cost. On the only night we thought we might eat in the restaurant, which looks a bit like a cafeteria, it was closed - it was Sunday evening.

A minor inconvenience with the hotel is that you enter on market St, take a lift upto the 8th floor to the lobby, and then you have to cross over it to access the lifts to the rooms.

We found the staff on check in/out helpful and informative with quick service. Our requests for extra towels, pillows and late check out were dealt with quickly and without fuss.

The kids really enjoyed the outdoor pool and spa. It is a good depth for them. The outdoor area was spacious enough to enjoy and set up well.

We would stay here again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Travelled here for work for 3 nights this week (23-26th January)

Location: Perfect location in the heart of Sydney. Perfect for those who like shopping and being central. Located on top of the Myer building basically...

Hotel Condition: The hotel is becoming dated. Furniture was okay, but not 5 star as indicated where advertising. Lobby bar downstairs is the nicest part of the hotel. Pool located on level 9 was nice, with Jacuzzi an added bonus. Gym is simple but works...

On the second day I was there I needed to iron a shirt for the morning. I went to use the hotel iron (which was a very cheap one without a steam function anyway – not 5 star) and it wouldn’t work. I then tried to use the telephone for the first time to contact the reception to have a new one delivered, but the phone wouldn’t work either… So I walked down to reception and they replaced the iron for me. However there was no offer to look at or fix the phone. I went back upstairs to use the new one, and it kept leaking water all over the ironing board and shirt. After checking the iron, I noticed a crack in the water shell. This may sound a bit picky, but after all what I had been through that morning whilst trying to get to work – this really annoyed me.

Price: Didn't really bother me as travelled for work, but understand it was about $230 per night for my room. This is overpriced for what it is. Would rather spend $20 more and stay somewhere amazing like the Westin Sydney.

Service: Very disappointed two times with service. One was when I was in the lobby bar, working on my laptop. I ordered a drink from the waitress after waiting about 15 minutes for someone to approach me even whilst I was trying to signal to them. After all, it was supposed to be table service. At the time there we 6 people sitting at tables or couches, but 3 staff working. What looked to be a few family members or friends for one of the staff arrived and all 3 staff were hovering around their table, not paying attention to anyone else in the bar. When finally I was served, I watched as the staff member walked back to the group of family or friends and forgot to place my order. I then looked at the time on my laptop screen. 21 Minutes later I had to flag down another staff member to ask where the drink was. He followed this up and the lady that did take my order finally realised and went and organised it. She then returned to the large group of people she knew and I was watching other patrons in the bar look around like I had to for service.

The second time was upon checkout at the hotel. I book the hotel through a work system and usually they don’t require me to actually pay for the room with the card upon check-out, as it is all done throughout the booking process. I understand the extra items on the bill I pay for, but have never had to run the cost of the room through my credit card. I questioned this and the man at the front desk said he will finalise the bill now in this manner, however he would also follow up with the booking system/agent to ensure that I wasn’t double charged, and would either email or call me to confirm within the next few hours. I did not receive a phone call or the email from them, even know the hotel receptionist confirmed my contact details – so they could have easily reached me. I followed up with the booking system and wasn’t double charged, however when you tell someone you will do something, you should do it. After all, you are working in hospitality.

Overall, a very average stay… Not 5 star...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Swissotel Sydney? Share your experiences!