“Fantastic Location and service - expensive food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Sydney

You added Swissotel Sydney to your Saves list
Swissotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level 8 | 68 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
NEW INTRODUCTORY PACKAGE
Ranked #23 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Leicester
“Fantastic Location and service - expensive food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights during our family visit to Australia. Although i must confess we did not do our homework properly; however we hit the Jackpot with the Hotel as it had a fantastic location. Most places that you would want to visit was within walking distance - like - Darling Harbour, Harbour Bridge, Opera House & Hyde Park. Shopping was also great as Westfield was next door and more importantly the "One Direction" store was within a 4 minute walk; that went down like a big treat for the girls!

The reception staff were very helpful; however they could not get house keeping to try and organise a firmer mattress as I have an aggravated lower back issue and after the long tiring days walking around one would "die" for a decent bed! Despite being there for 6 nights this firm mattress was too much of a request for this apparent 5* establishment.

The restaurant within the hotel was very expensive to say the least and i was glad that we had booked a bed and breakfast package as i would have hated spending $30 (£21.50 at the time) each for the 4 of us for this privilege for the 6 days that we were there. I think most will agree that it is best considered as daylight robbery first thing in the morning! The drinks at the bar opposite the reception also were questionably priced? The bonus was that we got a hold of the Pizza Hut delivery number and the hotel were happy to allow pizza deliveries to the room; this sufficed for a couple of the nights as when you are very tired after a long days sightseeing you don't really want to get dressed to go out to eat?

All in all for the money invested this was a good place to stay to explore Sydney.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Busselton, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 nights here - we were upgraded to a slightly larger room which gave us space for 2 adults, 2 kids and a cot. We like how they welcome family groups here. The location was fantastic - we could walk outside turn the corner and into the Pitt St mall. Walk to Darling Harbour etc. Service was good. We wished breakfast was included or at least affordable. The only negative was the very few family restaurants within short walking distance - this seemed very frustrating given the central location. The kids enjoyed the pool - although would have loved a games room or similar.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have stayed only for a night. We booked an interconnecting kids room for our kids 2 & 4 year olds. The kids room was excellent, had lots of toys, kids DVDs, bean bags, little play tent and lots of cuddly toys. It was so fun just to be in the room.
The location is also great - close to everything in the city.
Only one small issue we had was the internal door between our 2 rooms. Once one door was shut, we could not open from the other room. so we had to ensure we kept a set of keys in each room. Very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Devyn H, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback on our special kids room, we are thrilled your family enjoyed it as much as we do.

In regards to the inter-connecting door, as they are not always in use it is ensured the door cannot be opened from both sides for security reasons. However I do appreciate your comment and will look into whether a solution can be provided.

I look forward to having you at the hotel again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Daniel Fueglister
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The factors driving our choice of hotel was location, price and the little bit extra offered for our children. The location was for us sensational. Set in the heart of the CBD within walking distance of the Rocks, the Opera house, Darling Harbour and Hyde Park. Great shopping around the corner (QVB & Westfield), the revamped Gowings building across the road, easy access to public transport and taxis. It made accessibility that much easier especially with 6 year olds.

The price we paid through Expedia was appropriate for the standard of hotel which I would rate as more 4 star. The revamped lobby and bar area look modern, new and funky. The room however showed its age in an appropriate way. It met our needs and was what we expected generally. The fridge is small with items geared towards a single male businessman, the TV on the small side of medium, but the bathroom was a good size with separate bath and shower and the beds very comfortable.

We were unable to get the kids interconnecting room but for an extra amount the Hotel provided a DVD player with DVDs and decorated the room with children's toys. The problem was that the toys were appropriate for 3 year olds not 6 year olds, which disappointed our children. The person responsible for selecting age appropriate toys either had no clue or was limited by a range of toys chosen by someone without a clue. We did not however raise this at the time so gave the Hotel no opportunity to rectify it, even if it could.

We did not eat in - the breakfast offering was very expensive for a family of 4 with 2 young children who could not possibly eat enough to justify the cost. Choices of venues close by gave us breakfast at 1/3 the cost. On the only night we thought we might eat in the restaurant, which looks a bit like a cafeteria, it was closed - it was Sunday evening.

A minor inconvenience with the hotel is that you enter on market St, take a lift upto the 8th floor to the lobby, and then you have to cross over it to access the lifts to the rooms.

We found the staff on check in/out helpful and informative with quick service. Our requests for extra towels, pillows and late check out were dealt with quickly and without fuss.

The kids really enjoyed the outdoor pool and spa. It is a good depth for them. The outdoor area was spacious enough to enjoy and set up well.

We would stay here again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Travelled here for work for 3 nights this week (23-26th January)

Location: Perfect location in the heart of Sydney. Perfect for those who like shopping and being central. Located on top of the Myer building basically...

Hotel Condition: The hotel is becoming dated. Furniture was okay, but not 5 star as indicated where advertising. Lobby bar downstairs is the nicest part of the hotel. Pool located on level 9 was nice, with Jacuzzi an added bonus. Gym is simple but works...

On the second day I was there I needed to iron a shirt for the morning. I went to use the hotel iron (which was a very cheap one without a steam function anyway – not 5 star) and it wouldn’t work. I then tried to use the telephone for the first time to contact the reception to have a new one delivered, but the phone wouldn’t work either… So I walked down to reception and they replaced the iron for me. However there was no offer to look at or fix the phone. I went back upstairs to use the new one, and it kept leaking water all over the ironing board and shirt. After checking the iron, I noticed a crack in the water shell. This may sound a bit picky, but after all what I had been through that morning whilst trying to get to work – this really annoyed me.

Price: Didn't really bother me as travelled for work, but understand it was about $230 per night for my room. This is overpriced for what it is. Would rather spend $20 more and stay somewhere amazing like the Westin Sydney.

Service: Very disappointed two times with service. One was when I was in the lobby bar, working on my laptop. I ordered a drink from the waitress after waiting about 15 minutes for someone to approach me even whilst I was trying to signal to them. After all, it was supposed to be table service. At the time there we 6 people sitting at tables or couches, but 3 staff working. What looked to be a few family members or friends for one of the staff arrived and all 3 staff were hovering around their table, not paying attention to anyone else in the bar. When finally I was served, I watched as the staff member walked back to the group of family or friends and forgot to place my order. I then looked at the time on my laptop screen. 21 Minutes later I had to flag down another staff member to ask where the drink was. He followed this up and the lady that did take my order finally realised and went and organised it. She then returned to the large group of people she knew and I was watching other patrons in the bar look around like I had to for service.

The second time was upon checkout at the hotel. I book the hotel through a work system and usually they don’t require me to actually pay for the room with the card upon check-out, as it is all done throughout the booking process. I understand the extra items on the bill I pay for, but have never had to run the cost of the room through my credit card. I questioned this and the man at the front desk said he will finalise the bill now in this manner, however he would also follow up with the booking system/agent to ensure that I wasn’t double charged, and would either email or call me to confirm within the next few hours. I did not receive a phone call or the email from them, even know the hotel receptionist confirmed my contact details – so they could have easily reached me. I followed up with the booking system and wasn’t double charged, however when you tell someone you will do something, you should do it. After all, you are working in hospitality.

Overall, a very average stay… Not 5 star...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

You may be just slightly disappointed by this 4 star hotel masquerading as a 5 star. It depends. You might still be feeling a bit miffed by the cost of getting from Sydney Airport into town when you try to check in. It's then that you might find that despite the stated 2.00pm check in time, your room isn't ready yet and it takes another half an hour of waiting in the lobby. (And you thought the Swiss were always on time!)

You might have been a bit disappointed by the street entrance before you go up to level 8 where reception is. You might have ordered the outrageously priced $55 buffet lunch as you were waiting in the lobby and found that the selection of food was severely limited. Indeed, you will later realise that less than 5 minutes walk away is every kind of food under the sun served for about $10.

When you finally did get to your Classic Room, you probably thought: "Not bad. Nice bathroom!" You probably liked the comfortable bed, the pillows and the fact that the room is nice and clean. You wouldn't have minded the hot water to be just a couple of degrees warmer, but there you go.

Then you decide to check out the pool and gym. Both, you note, are small (and, perhaps, crowded), with the pool particularly uninviting.

But, take my word for it, in the end you're going to forgive this hotel. And that's because the location in the centre of Sydney is unbeatable. It is close to everything and all you have to do is walk. You're also going to like the reception staff who greet you with genuine warmth.

So, in the end, like us you'll probably want to stay again. 5 Stars? Well, maybe at a stretch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for a couple of days early january and I booked it especially for the location very close to darling harbour and shopping at your door. Also because of the kids room special where you get a king room interconnecting with the kids room with 2 double beds with appropriate boy / girl themed bedding and toys and table and DVD player and DVDs and bath toys and kids toiletries. It's worth it if you are travelling with kids as they'll love it and you'll have a fun relaxed time as well. We had a bit of an issue with the booked rooms but the reception and booking staff went out of their way to fix it and did promptly. I couldn't be happier and would return. Thank you for a lovely and memorable stay.

Room Tip: If you have young children book the kids special interconnecting room. It's worth it as they go...