“Good experience but no 'oho' factor....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Swissotel Sydney to your Saves list
Swissotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level 8 | 68 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Signature Skyline Package
Ranked #22 of 183 Hotels in Sydney
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Good experience but no 'oho' factor....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We booked a Club room and being seasoned travellers in Asia, were expecting something extra at the Club floor.

Room was very spacious but lifeless; i.e. just bare minimum furniture required for the rooms without extra touches to make one feel really welcome in a hotel. Even the curtain was those plain white rolled-up blinds, very office environment. There were not enough electric sockets to charge the 2 phones, 1 tablet at the same time. Guest has to bend down the writing desk and pull the wire up to do the charging, or charge it on the floor meant for vacum cleaner outside the bathroom (alternative is to use the socket meant for coffee/tea making facility).

Club floor guests can choose to have breakfast either at the 8th floor with other or at the 9th floor Club, which also opens till late with free flows of drinks and canapes at 5-7.30pm. It will be less crowded at the Club floor but guests are required to make their own coffee from the machine, there was no staff offering the service. We ended up having breakfast at 8th floor on the last few days of our 5 days stay, simply the latte & cuppoccino tasted better and there were more choices at 8th Floor.

The hotel encourages guests to share their experience in Tripadvisor, which shows they care about guests' experience and worthy of their effort. Club floor guests were supplied with daily chocolates / biscuits during turn-down service.

Staff are generally very friendly and free wifi is a big plus for Club guests. I can't fault the location, it is really central with everything nearby. However, given another chance, I would try other hotels with similar price range (we were offered similar corporate-priced room at Intercontinental; albeit without the Club/executive floor advantage).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SSYSwissotel, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 2, 2013

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

I am glad to read that you found our central location ideal for exploring the city.

I certainly value all your feedback and have forwarded your comments to the relevant department managers for immediate review and action.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Swissôtel Sydney in the near future!

Email: EmailUs.Sydney@swissotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

I admit to being a bit skeptical when I made the booking but what a surprise. Entered the lobby and was directed towards the lifts to take me to the eighth floor to reception. I started to wonder what I was in for. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. Went to the room and whilst I had one of the smaller rooms it was more than adequate for my need and even a nice deep roomy bath to soak in and a separate shower. The bed was one of the most comfortable and the pillows were just right too without having to pummel and squash them into a suitable shape. Even the air conditioning was quiet and not blowing air directly onto you which is the case in a lot of hotels. The shower was good, strong and adjustable with a good shower size bar of soap, not just the normal hand basin size. Leaving the room during the day the housemaid asked if everything was OK, which it was, never had that before. Hey this place has all you need and is located right in the centre of the city. Other hotels could learn a lot from this place. Hope they don't though as I want the same staff and service next time I come to Sydney and stay here without a doubt.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about Swissôtel Sydney on Trip Advisor and also recommending our hotel.

We are certainly proud of the staff and the facilities at the hotel and are always grateful to read comments such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back when next you are in Sydney and choose to stay with us.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had forgotten what a lovely hotel this was - absolutely central to shops, nice outdoor pool, good size rooms and most of all some of the nicest and happiest staff I have come across in a long time - just sincerely pleasant, professional and helpful - can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

I certainly take personal pride in all the staff at Swissôtel Sydney and have passed your comments on.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here on the 30th of December and this place was just fantastic. It's a great location, being above Myer and opposite the QVB, there is public transport very hand and the hotel is more or less faultless. The bed was ridiculously comfortable, the airconditioning glacial and just what I needed (easily alterable). Staff very friendly, what more could you want. Thanks!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

Your kind comment about the quality of our customer service has been shared with all team members.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is my favorite hotel in Sydney. I used to spend more than 15-20 nights here a year. It is situated just across the street from the Sydney Hilton and offers much better value for money. It's location in the middle of Market Street puts you right in the middle of all the shopping action available in Sydney. It also offers great access to the hundreds of restaurants within a 5 minute stroll away. The rooms are luxurious with great toileteries even in the standard rooms. The beds are firm and the sheets and towels are plush and thick. The gym, while small, has a complete set of free weights and 4 pieces of cardio equipment. It also has a nice set of kettle bells for those who are looking for a functional workout. The sauna is a pleasant treat for those who like a bit of heat after their workout. There is also a steam room in the spa as well. The coffees in the lounge are delicious. Dinner is nothing to scream about in terms of selection from the menu, but it is fine in a pinch. They do try to make breakfast special with a lovely honey comb at breakfast and some choices that you would not expect in a hotel buffet breakfast.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

I am glad to read that you found our central location ideal for the shops and resaurants of Sydney and pleased that you enjoy the facilities offered by the hotel.

I note your comment regarding the menu selection in the restaurant and am pleased to let you know that our new Executive Chef has just launched a new restaurant menu, offering a variety of new dishes plus some old favorites and some healthy options - all offering a range of fresh, organic and locally sourced produce.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have made a habit of staying at the Swissotel since discovering it on a business trip several years ago and have now stayed there three times over successive years. This time we chose a one-bedroom suite for extra room. Check in was smooth if a little perfunctory given a demand to see ID, even though I am a loyalty club member. Our room on the 15th floor, despite a booking for two adults and one child, was equipped with towels just for two. Finally on the downside we were bedevilled by the constant rumble from to lift well which was adjacent to our room. That made sleeping a bit tough. It seems all the one bedroom suites have an L shape arrangement around the lift well. All that said it is impossible to fault the location of the hotel close to shopping, the QBV building, and Darling Harbour, and the general level of service which is excellent.
We will stay again.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the lift wells!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about Swissôtel Sydney on Trip Advisor and also recommending our hotel after your stays with us over the past years.

I am glad you find our central location convenient to the shops, QVB and Darling Harbour however am concerned on your comment regarding our one bedroom suites. May I suggest that you ask our reservations staff for recommendations when next you book as we have various suite options which may suit you better.

Brunswick Heads, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I would like to personally thank the staff at Swissotel in Market Street, Sydney for their exceptional service and lovely treatment for my Sisters Birthday Stay. I booked this hotel direct for a surprise 40th Birthday Present. After speaking with my Sister, she has informed me that the hotel is just perfect! They allowed them to kindly check in early, gave a complimentary bottle of wine on arrival and also gave 2 buffet breakfasts for the price of one! Wow, that really is going above and beyond my expectations. Also the porter in the lift who sang happy birthday, what a lovely thing to do! My sister was very chuffed with all the fuss. My sister and her best friend loved the buffet breakfast which was lovely quality and more than you could ever eat. The queen size beds were comfortable and the rooms very spacious and very clean. Cant fault the position - handy to everything and a nice safe area for women. Thank you again for making the stay so special for them. I know where I will be staying when I come to Sydney and I will be spreading the word how nice it is to stay there. Cheers!
Kind Regards
Amber

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Greetings from Swissôtel Sydney!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about Swissôtel Sydney on Trip Advisor and also recommending our hotel and 'spreading the word'.

I am so pleased your sister enjoyed her time with us and that we contributed to her birthday celebration.

We look forward to welcoming you to Swissôtel Sydney we you are able to stay with us!

Email: EmailUs.Sydney@swissotel.com

Been to Swissotel Sydney? Share your experiences!