“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Sydney

You added Swissotel Sydney to your Saves list
Swissotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Level 8 | 68 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Free Wifi
Ranked #23 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband booked a 5 night stay for my 50th birthday treat at $350/night. Turned up at the hotel to find the lobby area unusable because of renovations. The smell of oil based paint was overwhelming. Then told our room had been given to someone else. Next, the new room was right next to the lift which meant that it too was stinking of oil based paint fumes. Next we were told our original room was available. All of this took about an hour to sort out. The restaurant was unavailable so we had to eat out - not so much of a problem except no mention of these renovations were made when my husband made the booking or we would have stayed elsewhere. Checked out after one night however the check out staff didn't check us out properly and to our very great surprise the hotel charged our credit card $1900 twice as well as $350 for the one night stayed. We had to go back to the hotel to sort it out. The staff were no more than grudgingly helpful. I can only assume the paint fumes had affected their brains. This WAS one of favourite hotels in Sydney - NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay for a club room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SSYSwissotel, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor.

You will be pleased to know that all your comments have been shared with all team members.

I am sorry you had to stay during the refurbishment period at the hotel.

If you could kindly send your details to the below email address, one of our team members will be in touch with you shortly.

Email: EmailUs.Sydney@swissotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The location of this hotel is fantastic. Ideal for shopping, restaurants and entertainment.
All the staff were friendly and helpful especially reception and conceirge.
My room was large and well appointed with a city view.
I used room service for breakfast and it arrived on time was well presented and tasty.
This was my first stay at this hotel and will I definetly return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your support and kind feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff very helpful and friendly.

I have taken note of your comments about the good quality of your breakfast and will share this with my food & beverage team members. It is through such feedback that we work to maintain the level of service and quality provided by the hotel to ensure every guest stay is an enjoyable one.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Sydney.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

First time and would thoroughly recommend. Fantastic staff, nothing was a problem. They even made a meal for us that was not on the room service menu and the beds and pillows are amazing . The location is great. I hope to be able to stay again. Thanks Swissotel Sydney.

Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Swissôtel Sydney.

Thank you for such a wonderful review!

I am very pleased to hear you were impressed with our new beds and pillows.

Your kind comments will be shared with the rest of the team.

Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at Swissotel Sydney in early August. It was a business trip and I had high hopes based on the reviews I read here. The lobby and bar area was beautifully designed. At the time I checked in my reservation was broken into three pieces as my corporate rate was available on 3 of the 4 nights. I asked if they could be combined into one reservation and the front desk said they could not do it. As a result, my keys would time out every day and I had to get them re-flashed. They were kind enough to put me on the club floor but the club lounge was closed and no alternative was offered (complimentary b'fast, glass of wine, etc.)

The room itself was very nicely appointed and well maintained. Maid service was punctual and efficient.

When it was time to check out I was billed for 5 nights instead of 4 and after a full hour at the desk, it had still not been straightened out. I had to go upstairs and pack for the airport, so I politely excused myself and said I would return. When I got back a front desk clerk who had checked me in tried to explain that the problem was that I had upgraded to a club level room. I politely told him that the issue was that they were charging me for 5 nights when I had only stayed for 4, and that any further delay would cause me to be late for my flight. It was only after that statement that they were able to clear up the mess and let me be on the way.

I came back to stay one week later. There were no issues with the stay but I was a bit surprised that management did not flag the earlier problem and at least get in touch to discuss or review.

That is a bit disappointing overall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Swissôtel Sydney.

Thank you for your support and valuable feedback.

I regret your initial experience with us was disappointing and the Executive Club Lounge was closed during your stay.

I will most certainly share your comments with my team members with regards to the room key troubles at the dilemma at your time of check-out. This was certainly not an indication of the level of service and quality that is usually delivered by the hotel and expected by your good self; and we take this matter seriously.

It is through such feedback that we are able to implement corrective measures to address our shortcomings. Once again, our sincere apologies and we look forward to welcoming you here again in the near future.

sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night as we had a function in the city. It was a great location. The room was pretty nice, very clean and a reasonable size.

Definitely don't drive there. They had told us to park out the front to drop our bags off first and then we could take our car to park it. When we got there there was no where to park out the front. We rang them to ask where the carpark was and the guy told us we couldn't go to the carpark until we had gone to the hotel first to get a ticket. As there was a protest in the city that day it was impossible to drive back to the hotel so one of us got out and walked to the hotel to get the ticket only to be told that we had to go to the carpark first and get the ticket from them!!! Then we had to drive to the parking which is in Kent St and walk back. Ridiculous!!

That was not the only miscommunication. We booked a room for three people. I rang them to check what the beds were going to be and they told me there would be twin beds. I questioned this (as I always thought twin beds meant two single beds) and they said I would have to pay more if we wanted a roll away. I asked if the twin beds were double beds and was told they were. This was perfect for us and exactly what we wanted so I told her that the twin beds were perfect and that we definitely didn't want a roll away. When we got to the hotel there was a roll away bed. We had told them we didn't want it, we didn't use it and it took up space in our room and they took an extra $70 from my account for it. They did end up refunding the money but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

It was a shame as the hotel itself is really nice. It was also a little annoying that there is a lift that you have to go up to get to reception and then walk to a second lift to get to your room. This isn't a big problem, just a little annoying.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Small rooms, not bad, but not amazing. My main complaint is that of service, the check in staff are not polite or efficient. On check in they gave me a double, rather than a king, despite requesting a king. My room was not cleaned on the second morning. On reporting this to the check in staff, they assured me that they would make sure that the room was cleaned and towels replaced etc.. However, this did not happen. Not what you'd expect from a five star...

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor.
One of our team members will be in touch with you shortly.
Thank you for choosing to stay at Swissôtel Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Twice now we have stayed at this hotel, as it is centrally located.The staff are very attentive and friendly, We were off to the State Theatre to see Kitty Flanagan on Friday 14th September and how good is it that you need only cross the road to the theatre.
Pitt st mall just around the corner and most of the big name shops only a walk away.
Highly Reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: as for the south facing(Centre Point Tower and Hyde Park)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Swissotel Sydney? Share your experiences!