“Nice apartment, would stay there again if lifts work!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney

You added Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   511 Kent & Bathurst Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Medina Grand Sydney)   |
Ranked #25 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Traralgon, Victoria
“Nice apartment, would stay there again if lifts work!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We chose this accommodation based upon the good reviews, and were not disappointed. While it was not perfect, it made for a pleasant stay.

It was spacious, clean, and well-appointed (I've uploaded a video of our apartment so you can see for yourselves). As we got a "last-minute" rate on-line, it was a great deal. It was a lot cheaper for us, three adult females, than two hotel rooms would have been. We were able to eat breakfast and dinner in, most nights (Safeway was just around the corner), which saved us a lot of money. All of the basic utensils you'd need to prepare and eat a meal, are provided.

The kitchen has a stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, electric kettle, toaster, and full-sized fridge as well as pots and pans, dishes, glassware, and cutlery. A 250ml (8oz) container of milk is provided gratis, which was good for us for coffee the first morning, as we arrived at night. All other things provided (except instant coffee, teabags, and sugar) are "mini bar expensive". The next morning I went to Safeway and got some essentials.

The beds were comfortable enough and all came with doonas with removable covers (so I'm assuming they are washed more than typical hotel bedspreads as they looked clean). Sheets and towels were all of high quality.

Our 2BR apt had two bathrooms, one an en-suite attached to the "master" bedroom. It contained a sink, shower, and toilet (the shower control works very easily, and as it's right next to the soap dish, be careful not to knock it while reaching blindly for the soap or washcloth, or you'll get burnt or frozen! It was quite a shock!). The other "main" bathroom had a shower-over-bath, sink, and toilet. Water pressure was great in both.

Both bathrooms had shelves above the sinks for cosmetics and sundries, very handy, and both were modern and clean. And the main bathroom had a retractable clothesline over the tub, as well as a cupboard which contained the washer, dryer, and ironing implements. You really could live there!

All carpets were clean and unstained, the furniture likewise.

We didn't hear any "street noise" worthy of note up on the 29th floor. I know others have mentioned it, so maybe there was some event on at that time. We were there for 3 weeknights, so maybe the weekends are noisier?

Location-wise, it was excellent. Town Hall (train) station was about a minute away on foot, as were many shops and restaurants (the Medina has a breakfast cafe, but we didn't go there. There is also Tom & Tom's Coffee next door). Darling Harbour was a short walk, and Circular Quay (up in the vicinity of the Bridge and Opera House) was about a 15-20 minute pleasant walk.

We were easily able to walk to the Aquarium. For those who aren't into walking too much, the train from Town Hall Station arrived at Circular Quay in two stops.

While the girls climbed the Bridge, I took a Harbour tour on Captain Cook Cruises. It was breathtaking and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I got some great photos (including the girls climbing on the bridge!). As it's a "hop on/hop off" tour ticket, it stops at many sites of interest aroudn the Harbour. And I was able to get off at Pier 26, close to my hotel. Fantastic!

I was surprised to find that there were no public internet facilities for guests.

To be fair, each unit has internet facilities as long as you bring your laptop (we didn't, as we had to leave our bags in the car for a few hours prior to flying to Sydney and were afraid of theft). We incorrectly assumed that there would be one or two PCs in a public room or Business Centre that we could use for checking email, and whatever else. Not so. We were directed to a local convenience store which offered cheap internet, but man, were those computers grubby, and I wasn't comfortable typing my passwords into those machines. So I used my phone's internet capabilities, instead.

There was a gym and pool but we neither used nor saw either as we had only a few days to take in the sights of Sydney.

One complaint we all had (and I mean EVERYONE, not just us) was the sad state of the lifts. There are only two, and one was out of order. One lift for 29 floors worth of guests was ridiculous, and it usually meant a LONG wait for it to collect us at the top floor, and another long wait in a can of sardines as it stopped at virtually every floor on the way down. There does not appear to be a service lift, since we often had to share with housekeeping carts and the like, which was ridiculous.

I was told by a lift worker that the broken lift is problematic, has broken down before, and needs big $$ spent on it (I got the impression that they keep doing band-aid fixes). I asked what would happen if BOTH lifts broke and the guy said with a chuckle, "You'd be doing a lot of stair climbing" (I don't THINK so!). He said that even having two working lifts was inadequate for a building this size.

Climbing twenty-nine flights would simply be unacceptable. I'd need a holiday after my holiday! I would ask them to collect my things, check me out, and put me and my arthritic knees up elsewhere! For others like me, the lift situation may be something to enquire about before booking, I think! I shudder to think what a disabled person would do!

Your apartment can be serviced daily, if needed. We found that although the "do not disturb" sign was hung on the door (the flip side was "Please make up my room"), housekeeping had come in as the bath mat was rolled up when I returned. I think it's primarily to count mini-bar items.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay at the Medina Sydney Central. Other than the lift thing, I would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Melbourne, VIC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

If your looking for an apartment hotel, this one is not too bad. I was given a studio room on the top most floor on the building. There is nothing fancy about this hotel, but it is clean and good for the price. Also, the location of the hotel is right in the heart of the CBD.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Stayed for one night on a business trip. Room was spacious enough with balcony, queen bed & desk. Kitchenette included microwave, toaster, fridge and crockery etc which was useful.

Bed was surprisingly comfortable despite being basic and all linens clean but tired looking. The noise level from the street was very loud despite being on level 27. I barely slept. This is not within the hotel's control obviously and is the price you pay for being in such a central location.

Only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the restaurants at Darling Harbour. No restaurant in hotel but not a problem as you are spolied for choice locally. Breakfast served in cafe downstairs was fine, nothing exciting but cheap by Sydney standards.

Hotel pool was plesant although not lit at 6am when it opened so had to swim in semi-darkness.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with guests from USA, requested room with a veiw and was given a great room. Room was extremely clean and facilities in apartment were great.Also the location of this Hotel was great, in heart of city, close to train station 3Mins,Darling harbour 5mins,Circular quay 20Mins.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Great location! We stayed in a Two Bedroom apartment and the size was great. The fact that there were also two bathrooms meant we could all get ready in the morning much faster. We've stayed in other places before with only one bathroom for two bedrooms.

We hardly used the kitchen, but it was well enough appointed that you could cook something for yourself if you wanted to. There was a restaurant that we didn't use - as the hotel is only a few minutes walk from Darling Harbour and Cockle Bay Wharf. There was also a range of menus which were available for delivery to our room from outside establishments.

Did not use the gym, but the pool was very welcome on our 40+ degree day in Sydney, and had surprisingly few people using it considering the temperature outside. Also, given the fact that the hotel was located in the middle of a busy city, we found it to be quite quiet.

Only concerns were firstly with the single beds in the second bedroom, they were able to be zipped into one larger bed, which I know is quite normal, but when separated, they were extremely soft and rather narrow. The other issue was the extreme price of the in-room broadband internet. The plans appeared complicated in their explanation, and I think I would have had to pay $90 per day for access. This was ridiculous, so I went without.

Overall, would recommend the room, space and facilities could not be faulted. Staff were helpful and very accommodating.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Coffs Harbour
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We spent the Australia Day LW here and loved it, it was in a great location, close to the City and Darling Harbour. The apartment was spacious with a large curved corner window that overlooked the city in the main lounge area, this gave the apartment excellent views from our 21st floor. It actually rained on the eve of Australia day, however from the balcony (connected to the main bedroom) and the curved window we were able to watch the fireworks at Darling Harbour.

The pool was also nice, although a small conference was on at the time and with the delegates in the foyer and in the conference room they were able to stand / sit around watching us, may be better if they frosted the windows!

It wasnt the cheapest, but generally good value for money, especially as it was over a long weekend
We will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

My friend arranged a two night stay here for a good rate and it was great. Although we got the Studio apartment at the very top floor with the balcony overlooking Bathurst St, I wasn't complaning. Nice room, TV even had Fox Sports. The location is convenient to Town Hall station and to shops. I enjoyed the stay and my friend like it a lot that we stayed an extra night. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The cheap rate my friend got me here.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!