“Nearly There!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   511 Kent & Bathurst Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Medina Grand Sydney)   |
Ranked #27 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“Nearly There!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom apartment with a work colleague while in Sydney on business. Overall the hotel really was very good and only misses out on an excellent rating due to some small issues we had in the first couple of days.

Firstly the 2 bedroom apartment was perfect for us as there was 2 bathrooms (1 main and 1 ensuite), so we both had our own room and bathroom, which made getting ready for work very easy for us, without being in each others way. The laundry and kitchen were both well appointed and very much required for our long stay. The entire apartment was spotless as well except for one issue that I will describe further down.

The rooms are well appointed and modern. We used the WIFI internet - which I don't think was free from memory, but was included in our business expenses, so was not an issue for us. It was fast and easy to connect to.

Having flat screen TV's in both bedrooms and the lounge was a bonus. It enabled us to each go to our rooms and be able to watch tv if we wanted without disturbing each other. Many 2 bedroom apartments usually only have a tv in one bedroom and the lounge.

The location was perfect for us as we had to catch the train to work and the entrance is right across the road and then a 5 minute walk underground. It is a couple of blocks to get to Darling Harbour in one direction and a couple of blocks to the Woolworths in the other and about 3 blocks to Chinatown and Paddy's Market in another. So we were quite comfortable for food and meals as required. Being two females, we did not feel uncomfortable walking to any of these places at night and we both would have felt comfortable if alone as well.

The only negative was the horrid smell of Eucalyptus oil or similar that was in my room. I could smell it as soon as we entered the apartment, but thought it was an air freshener of some sort. Arriving late on a Sunday night, I did not think much of it, until I got into bed and the smell was unbearable. It was at that point I realised it was something that was possibly spilt on the bed or on the floor. Being late I put up with it the first night I woke the next morning and realised my clothing reeked of it, the pillows, the quilt, my hair etc. So I left a note for housekeeping to ask them to strip the bed and remove the pillows and replace them, due to the smell. I was very clear in what the issue was in my note. I got home late that night and found the note, with a note from housekeeping, telling me there was spare blankets and pillows in the cupboard that I could use. I tried different pillows from the cupboard, which had no odour to them, thinking that housekeeping would have changed the sheets etc. No such luck. The bed and surrounding floor still stank and by morning, the fresh pillows also stank.

It was at this point that I told my colleague of the problem and suggested that I might ask if we could move room. Which was a pain given we had both unpacked all our clothes and hung them and had food and supplies in the kitchen etc. I asked at the desk and I was told there was no other rooms for that night as they were fully booked, but that they would get housekeeping to strip the bed and ensure fresh sheets were applied etc while we were at work that day. Got back that night and it was not done. I went to the desk and they realised that housekeeping had not been informed of the issue. So they immediately asked someone to come and change the bed (an ex housekeeping employee who was still on duty). He promptly arrived and as soon as he entered the apartment was appalled at the smell, let alone when he walked into the bedroom. He changed all the sheets and pillows, but it made only a little difference. Luckily they had booked us to move rooms the following day as well. So in the end I spent 3 nights with the stench!

The front desk staff were super accomodating and nothing but helpful and friendly in regards to this issue and all other aspects of our stay. The girl who took my first complaint and did not pass on the message apologised to me the following day as well, which she didn't have to do.

One positive as well from this "ordeal" was that the staff moved all our stuff during the day for us, including all our food from the bench and fridge. We did not expect that, but were very appreciative that we did not have to come back after a long day and then spend time moving everything ourselves.

Overall I was not upset with anyone about the issue, just a little disappointed that after making the issue known to staff on day 2, it took until day 4 that we were in a room that smelt normal.

But would I stay here again?? Absolutely. The positives far outweigh the negatives of one room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear stinker13,

Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at the Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so detailed feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our team to be helpful. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and location and that you have found Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained. We are glad that your recent stay was such a pleasurable experience.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as enjoyable as the one that you have described above.
I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

750 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at the Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney. Close to transport and walking distance to great restaurants and cafes. We received a free upgrade on arrival from the premier studio room to a one bedroom apartment with an excellent view of the city and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Clare W,

Thank you so much for your very nice feedback. We are all very happy that your visit to Sydney was such a great experience, also because of our hotel.
I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged both our team and the facilities in such a nice way. On behalf of the team members, thank you. I know our entire team will be delighted about your feedback and will strive to achieve similar outcomes soon.
I will personally share your comments with all departments.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at our hotel again.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at the Adina hotel for 5 nights and loved the location, only a few minutes walk to Darling Harbour. Our 2 bedroom apartment was well kitted out with adequate cooking facilities. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for you.

Room Tip: Good views from higher up and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andy5063,

I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged both our team and the facilities in such a nice way. I will personally share your comments with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us very proud.

Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stay at Adina apartment hotel for 1 week and would like to say thank you for one of the helpful staff – Jonathan. He has a positive quality toward his work, very friendly, charming and good attitude. Hope the hotel can employ more people like Jonathan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lee R,

I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged our team member in this way. I will make sure that our entire team will get to celebrate Jonathan's success in style. We are very proud and happy for him. I will personally share your comments with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us very proud.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Adina on Kent Street! The staff was very helpful from the moment we made the booking online. We had several questions that were answered for us quickly before we even arrived. It was close to the city transportation and we could walk most anywhere! The 5 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom (each with 2 twin beds), 2 bath apartment with a rollaway bed that fit nicely in the living area. We were even suprised to find a washer and dryer in the apartment. There was complimentary wifi in the lobby area during the day. We will definitely say here next time we go Sydney!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear DonnaJ4,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so detailed feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our hotel to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained and that you have enjoyed your stay.

North Lakes, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The apartment was great. We had two bathrooms which is a must with four girls. We were central all things great. 5 minutes to Darling Harbour, a short ferry ride to Circular Quay which gave us an awesome photographic view of the Opera House & Bridge. .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear KerriStedman,

I'm also very pleased that you have found our hotel to be so well maintained, comfortable and in a great location.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of June and were so happy with the accommodations -- spacious and well appointed suite of rooms and with the location -- 5 minute walk to Darling Harbor and literally across the street from the entrance to the underground train station. Our only complaint is that there was no Wifi included -- except for 1/2 hour per day in the lobby. Wifi in the room was an additional $25 a day which was too much. However, on a very positive note, Jonathan at the front desk was so helpful! I called from our previous location in remote Ayers Rock inquiring about finding a doctor for a sick child and he checked on the availability at Sydney Medical Center (3 minutes away) and called me back to say they would be open when we arrived the following day. When we arrived at the hotel, Jonathan was on duty, remembered us and our need and made sure to give us directions and ask us about it when we returned. This kind of personalized service made our stay in a new city even nicer. Thank you, Jonathan!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Laura Q,

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!