“Relatively speaking a great hotel....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney

You added Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   511 Kent & Bathurst Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Medina Grand Sydney)   |
Ranked #28 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oklahoma
“Relatively speaking a great hotel....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at the Medina Grand for four nights last week with my family of 6. We had a 3 bedroom apartment, with nice views of downtown Sydney. The accomadations, by Austrailian standards, were very good. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The gym was adequate, and indoor pool was small but nice. Location was good, being a short walk to Darling Harbor and it's attractions, and a doable mile (1.6 kilometer) walk to the Circular Quay/Opera House. Housekeeping was good, and room was clean and spacious. Wifi was only available for a charge in the room, and in the hotel lobbey you could only use once/room for 30 minutes/day at no charge (not good as far as my teens were concerned).

I would recommend staying here as it was one of the better hotels we stayed at in Australia, but by American standards it was a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Sham609,

Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so detailed feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our team to be helpful, friendly and that we did go out of our way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and location and that you have found Medina Grand Sydney to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained. We have taken your comments on internet into consideration and will certainly pass them on to the relevant department for review.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as enjoyable as the one that you have described above.

Medina Grand Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Concord, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed two nights on business. Nothing spectacular, in fact it seems there isn't much in Sydney that is.

The place could do with a major refurbishment. Very early ninety's styled bathrooms. Rooms are comfortable enough but for the cost I'd expect a lot more.

There are some great restaurants in the area, and you are kind of between Chinatown and the city centre and right near town hall station.

It's not a bad hotel, it's just that it has no real wow factor, but as stated above, not many Sydney hotels do. You could do a lot worse, but you could probably do better too. Average really sums it up I feel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear asia_short_tripper,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. I am happy to see that you have found our hotel comfortable, well maintained and clean. I have noted your comments regarding the state of the bathrooms and an overall state of the hotel. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment that includes refreshments of bathrooms, upgrade to in-rooms furniture and appliances. I hope the 'wow' factor has now returned to our rooms. Our rooms' and apartments' range is well described on our website. Selection of apartments include premier type apartments that offer stunning city skyline views.
I hope we will see you at our hotel again soon. We will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be enjoyable.
At the same time I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have so far stayed one night out of 2 in a studio apartment at medina grand on the 19th floor. The reception staff were very friendly and assisted me with eating places and advised on the meal delivery service for nearby restaurants/take away places when I had settled into my room after arriving late, 8.30pm, and realised there was no room service here for dinner.....the room was lovely, clean and comfortable however I had a view of a building wall...... what tha!! What's the point in having a balcony when there is only a wall and other ugly buildings to look at......

I won't be staying here again as there are better choices elsewhere for the same price which will cater to my preferences of a view of city and proper room service.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Ilovedigs,

Thank you so much for your very nice feedback. We are all very happy that your visit to Sydney was such a great experience, also because of our hotel.
If I could only explain a little bit about our room types and no views issue; our premier room types offer city skyline views (Studio Premier, 1 and 2 Bedroom Premier Apartments). As your booking was made for a standard room type, views are usually limited. Rooms often overlook neighbouring buildings as we are located in the center of Sydney's CBD area. Our rooms and apartments range is well described on our website.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at Medina for 4 days. The Rooms a very clean and tidy. The staff are great and very helpful. The location is prime. It had its own Car Park space which was nice. We could go for a drive anytime we want and dont wory about a car spot when we arrive back. The swimming pool and suana was fun.Maybe if there was a Spa it could off been better. But overal it was nice. The price was not that expensive, compare to the date and location of the Hotel. I will definatly stay at this hotel again and recomend to every one.... ... ... ... .. . ... ... ... ... ... .... ... .. ... ... .. ... .. ... ... . ... . ... . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...... ... ...... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... ... ... .. . ... ... ... ... ... .... ... .. ... ... .. ... .. ... ... . ... . ... . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...... ... ...... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Room Tip: Request a City View Balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear alleyesonme69,

I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged our team members in this way. I will make sure that our entire team will get to celebrate this success. I will personally share your comments with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us very proud.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We chose here as it was one of the few apartment style hotels within our price range. It was in a good location within a 10 - 15 min walking distance of darling harbour and pitt street mall and across the road from town hall train station.

We stayed on level 10 and the road noise was quiet loud, I wouldn't stay there on a lower level again, also I imagine the higher level have a view of Darling Harbour, however our room had a view of the surrounding buildings.

The room was very clean and roomy and had everything we needed.

For the money we could have stayed in much nicer hotels in a standard hotel room, but with the requirement of an apartment I was happy with our stay

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Jamesies,

I have also noted your comments regarding a room location on lower levels. As you rightly mentioned in your review, we do offer rooms with city skyline views. Generally our premier room types offer city skyline views. These are located on higher levels of the hotel. Our 1 and 2 bedroom apartments offer more living space, greater range of cooking facilities and/or laundry facilities. Our rooms' and apartments' range is well described on our website.

SYDNEY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

In all of my travels and over 50 hotels I have stayed at, this would have to be by far the worst Hotel experience! We stayed 3 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 people-The A/C was not working in our apartment during our entire stay- in 35 degree heat it was a disaster!!! We dealt with the most arrogant and unprofessional lady on checkout who questioned why someone was lying on the couch, and then wanted to charge us extra cleaning fee!!! When I told her the room was in clean condition and to send someone up to check, she then sent the housekeeper and had a look herself to find in fact I was correct!!!! She said she will NOT charge the cleaning fee!!!!
I had 2 friends come over on checkout as we had lunch plans, and she then began to accuse me of having extra people staying in the room! I don't know where in the rule book -it states you cannot have visitors in your room! She began with her accusations and her unprofessional behavior, there was another lady working at reception who was also looking at her with disgust! It was Christmas Eve and to think someone could be so rude and arrogant was beyond me!!
After paying for the mini bar and late checkout we finalized the invoice and left! After one week to my surprise I find another charge on my credit card for $ 196.00! When I called to question this they said it was for extra cleaning for $ 165.00 and further minibar charges, the tall lady with black hair with NZ accent charged my CC after I left the hotel!! She was denying our entire conversation! I then spoke to the hotel manager Albert Pilarski who refused to give me her details, if I did I would have put her full name on this review!!!! I told him to look back on the cameras to hear how rude and unprofessional she was and that in fact SHE AGREED NOT TO CHARGE A CLEANING FEE!!! Apparently CCTV footage in the hotel lobby does not provide a verbal function and was unable to hear the conversation- how convenient for her.
I am still waiting to hear back from Albert Pilarski regarding my refund!
I will never be back to this Hotel again and will advise everyone I know to do the same!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
At Medina Grand Sydney we welcome comments which help us to improve our performance and service, and we are always prepared to own up when we get things wrong. There are occasions however when our perspective differs from that of a reviewer as is the case here. There are many parts of this review that are untrue and inaccurate, including the mentioning of the CCTV footage that clearly indicates that the amount of guests occupying this apartment far exceeded the number of guests that could safely occupy such apartment overnight. Our team members described in this review were simply trying to obtain payment for items that were in fact used or consumed. Guests’ prior denial of using car parking facility or having anything from mini bar had to be proven and was later charged to guest’s credit card provided at the time of check in. It is a part of our check in procedure that we explain to all our guests that Medina Grand Sydney is a non-smoking hotel, including balconies. We acknowledge this fact by asking all our guests to sign a policy at the back of our registration cards. The “cleaning fee” mentioned in this review was applied because guests were in fact smoking in the apartment throughout their stay. Although there was an attempt to clear smoking debris noted, it requires extra work to free such apartment from smoke odours. Smoking in rooms and apartments does negatively impact other guests’ stay. Medina Grand Sydney promises rooms and apartments that are clean and cigarette smoke free. And finally, we have only learned about the problem with the air conditioning after guest’s phone call enquiry about the extra charges (an invoice was forwarded to the guest with details on all extra charges) and after reading the below comments. We would certainly try to resolve any maintenance fault immediately, should our team be made aware of the problem.

Mount Barker, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

A great location to spend a few days. Close to all of Sydneys's attractions, short walk to Darling Harbour restaurants and Town Hall railway station public transport . Tariffs were high over new Year Period but that is expected and well worth it to be able to walk to Harbor to view the spectacular New Years Eve celebrations. Apartments are large with well fitted out kitchen,large lounge and eating area. Beds are very comfortable. Congratulations to the staff at the Medina Sydney who provided outstanding service in a very friendly and natural manner. A great stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: Travel tip within Sydney. If staying more 4 days or more buy a weekly ticket that will allow you to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear gwsdb,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so detailed feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our team to be helpful, friendly and that we did respond to your requests in timely fashion to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and location and that you have found Medina Grand Sydney to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained.

Medina Grand Sydney

Been to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!