“Great location in the CBD!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place

You added Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place to your Saves list
Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Hosking Place, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #61 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great location in the CBD!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A friend and I stayed 6 nights at Medina Serviced Apartment Martin Place. It is not real easy to find coming from the airport, but let the taxi driver know that Hosking Place is basically across the street from Tiffany...and every other high end designer store in Sydney! Located down an alley, surrounded by other high rises, there is no view at all, except into offices buildings. Our corner room on the 6th floor was plain, quiet, and clean. Nothing more. Hotel staff were reserved and professional.

The reason you stay here is that it is very centrally located. Never a problem finding a taxi, steps from the train station, in the middle of a shoppers paradise, surrounded by cafes, restaurants, and all the bustle of the CBD, and less than 20 minutes to the airport.

It was nice having a refrigerator and microwave for our drinks and snacks. Otherwise, our kitchen went unused. Washer and dryer worked fine. Our internet connection, which was an additional charge, really only worked in the bedroom. Besides that, no real complaints.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor, corner room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear JetNag,
thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to my Team.
Regards, Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. I have stayed in a number of places around Sydney, and I have to say this is the first I would return to if the price was right. There are so many affordable options in Sydney but you can never be sure about quality. This was right on the money if your interest lies in an apartment that is clean, central, quiet and with suitably modern furnishings. It was a good size room with a decent sized kitchen and bathroom. I actually loved the laneway (christened Diagon alley thanks to the magic shop) - it kept the rooms quiet in the face of being in the middle of the city. You can walk straight through they alley which is very convenient. I slept incredibly well here and otherwise found it clean and a great location, which is all I can really ask for in Sydney. I paid a great price for it on wotif and would happily return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear wanderingjen,
thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with the Team.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location with the exception of the seediness of the lane where the entrance is situated. Staff were pleasant and the apartments themselves well presented. The only real negative was there was no top sheet on the bed and there were a couple of hairs on the bottom sheet leading me to wonder if the linen had actually been changed. Only one thing but an important one and it did make a big difference to how I felt about the premises and the clincher on whether I would return or not... A shame because I visit Sydney alot for work and having given up on one of the other apartment chains due to their declining standards I was hoping this might serve as a future regular place of stay.

• Stayed August 2013
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Cat0111,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
please accept my apology for the hairs being on the bottom sheet.
We do take the utmost care about these things with Room attendants. I will reinforce this with them acting on your comments.
Hopefully we will see you again. When making the booking please put in the request to have a top sheet on the bed.
As all the beds have a doona, the doona cover itself is like a top sheet hence only the proper sheet on the bottom. We do understand though that some people prefer to have the 2 sheets as well as the doona cover and we gladly fullfill these requests for top sheets.
Kind regards, Warren
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday in Feb 2013 for only 1 night.
Overall, i'd only stay again if it were for a long stay in which you can take advantages of the facilities to cook and wash.

+ Location! Right in the middle of the CBD. Walking distance to both CQ and shopping malls. Right outside Martin Place train station.
+ Early and easy checkin
+ Spacious
+ Very quiet at night (Perhaps because we were there on the weekend so no trucks).
+ Accommodated our request for 2 single beds
+ Comfortable and clean beds. Slept really well.
+ Kitchen/washing facilities etc, so really good for long stays!!

- THE SMELL. Our room had a bad smell, we had to open our balcony door to get some relief - but we were opening on to a dirty lane with rubbish. The hallways stunk even more. Each time we re-entered the hallways from the lift, the smell would smack us in the face.
- Down a lane/side-street. View of rubbish and office windows.
- Unfriendly counter staff. Each time we would leave or return to the hotel, the staff member didn't ONCE look up from his desk/computer. Very rude.
- Bath/Shower combo thing. Quite high to step in/out for someone short like me. It was dirty on arrival with hairs in the tub.
- Free internet in 'Public Areas'.... the only public area was the bathroom-sized hotel foyer.
- Balcony seemed like a waste of space. It is huge, but I can't imagine anyone would use it, besides for smoking, because of what it looks out on. Good for "air" though, I guess, since the rest of the hotel seems devoid of fresh air.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear BiancaLE,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
I'm glad you found our location to your advantage.
The other points you raised will be investigated & dealt with.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here recently for 5 nights, they were very accommodating to our bedding requirements as we had people joining us in the middle of our stay. Had no issues with any of the facilities, they all worked fine. It is located down a side street but it is very quiet at night after being out all day. It was a great stay.

• Stayed July 2013
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Amyben13,
thank you for taking the time out to write your response.
So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass this on to my Team
Thank you.
Warren
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I went with my friend in August to Sydney for a 4 days trip so as you can imagine it was pretty cold since it was winter. I have to say it must be quiet season to go to Sydney due to the weather since we got a really cheap deal from travel.com.au for a studio apartment in Medina.

I have to say it took the taxi driver a long time to find Medina since it was situated in an alleyway - Hosking Place so rather hard to find. The taxi driver dropped us off on the main road and we had to try to navigate with Google maps to find our way to our Medina during the middle of the night. So was not really impressed initially.

The hotel itself was very basic it only had 1 person at the service desk and not very efficient since we clearly booked for 2 single beds but they got it wrong so we ended up with a double bed. Oh well we were girls so we just let it go and stayed there, but later they did notify us that there was a room with 2 single beds available if we want to change rooms. However, we had already unpacked everything and I was going to take a shower so we decided not to bother changing rooms.

The room itself as it was a studio apartment had a fully furbished kitchen, bathroom, laundry, closet with extra blanket and pillow, safe, TV, balcony, a desk, and air conditioning. It was convenient for us to stay there since it was close to all the major shopping places like Pitt street, china town, George street etc, so we saved a lot of money from transport since we relied on our feet the whole time we were in Sydney. The room is quite big so doesn't feel claustrophobic at all.

Overall I thought Medina was very much value for money during our stay in Sydney during winter since it was close to all the shopping places, major attractions like opera house, Sydney tower eye, aquarium, manly ferry, manly beach, Cicular Quay and restaurants. It also offered airport transfer for a low fee something like $12-$15 so it was so much cheaper than to catch a taxi for us, but make sure you tell the front desk you want this service and wait outside the corner of Hosking Place on time. Also if you ever need anything do not hesitate to ask since the staff at the front desk may seem unfriendly at first but if you ask for thing they always try to fulfill your request.

I would very much recommend people to check out this place if you are wanting to go to stay somewhere that's value for money during winter season in Sydney.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear KarenZ,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.

Unfortunately we don't have control over taxi drivers.Even with GPS a lot of them still can't find Hosking Place. Sometimes I think they should just stick to street directories.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are always striving to please all guests at all times.

north devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Located in Hosking Street, this place is a bit tucked away, but is so convenient for all of central Sydney. Handy for buses, rail, etc. Room was of good size, clean with good bathroom. Kitchenette very good, with Smeg appliances. Front desk staff very pleasant and helpful. Nothing not to like here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place? Share your experiences!