“Worth it for the view from our room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Macleay Hotel

You added Macleay Hotel to your Saves list
Macleay Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   28 Macleay Street | Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia   |
Ranked #52 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Merstham, United Kingdom
“Worth it for the view from our room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Used this hotel on a friends recommendation as we wanted an apartotel so we could do laundry and not have to eat out all the time. Located in Potts Point someway outside Sydney it was located in a nice street with restaurants and Woolworths, food supermarket, just across the road. Reception was pleasant and helpful. Room was a bit on the small side, bijou sounds better, and ther kitchen are was small and right behind the entrance door. No easy chairs so only had the chairs at the small dining table. Bus ran right outside so journey into Sydney was not too difficult. Get a weekly ticket for all the trains and buses as it was excellant value for money.You can walk into town if you want through the Botanical Gardens which is nice way to get there. All in all a reaasonable place to stay and good value for money but it was the view of the Syney Harbour Bridge from our window that made it good value for money.

Room Tip: As for a room with a view of the Bridge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a week, fortunate to have a room with a view of the harbour and Opera House, on the 7th floor. Enjoyed having the kitchenette. Toaster, kettle, combo oven and microwave and a 2 burner hotplate. 3 blocks from the Kings Cross station and most buses.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We booked here solely based on combination of reviews (on TripAdvisor) and price, and we were NOT disappointed.

Hotel is easy to get to, just a 10 minute walk from Kings Cross train station, and the service we received upon check-in was first class, starting with being able to check in a little after 10AM. The desk attendant gave us a 10 minute guide to getting around the city by bus and on foot, explaining how to get to the Opera House through the gardens, etc. Excellent.

Our room was small, but had everything we needed. We didn't use the small electric kitchen
but it was there if we needed if we were staying longer. The TV was a little dated, but had digital channels and was fine for the small amount of time we actually watched it. Everything was clean and crisp, free newspaper in the morning as well :)

It has to be said again that this location is excellent. A beautiful leisurely half hour walk to the Opera House, through the Botanical Gardens, and countless places to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner within a 5 minute walk. Highly recommend La Buvette on Challis St for breakfast and Fratelli Fresh on Macleay for dinner

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Good Points:
Cheap for Sydney! as everywhere is expensive
Nice area away from the high rise city
Harbour is walkable through the botanical gardens which is lovely
Great views if your on 7/8 floor with a corner room
Free wifi in lobby
Some staff are very helful
Opposite Woolies for supplies
Near Kings Cross station
Not so good points:
Very tired old Travelodge style rooms that need updating (relects price!)
Some hygiene issues - nothing major
Pool is not on rooftop as described and very small

There was some confusion when we booked in as Expedia had said that this hotel offered free wifi we assumed in was in the rooms but it was only in the lobby. There was building works going on so very noisey and pool was out of action, we were told this was advertised on Expedia but we showed the staff that infact it was not showing up on the mobile version - the manager was very good and offered us free dinner. I would recommend this hotel as the small kitchenette allows you to have breakfast and snacks as Sydney is SOOOOO expensive. The walk to the harbour is lovely through the gardens and Kings Cross at night is not that scarey!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

overall I had a nice 4 days' stay . I loved the location and anyway the hotel was not expensive at all compared to Sydney standards.
reading other reviews , I was expecting s to find an hotel well run , with a need of refurbishing (but this justifies the low fares) and so it was!
PROS: the room was cozy, with lot of light and a great view. the small kitchen was ok to prepare quick meals and breakkie..
CONS i just had some hygiene issues: I had to ask to change the shower curtain because there was some brown " substance " on it , and , trust me, that was pretty gross and I preferred not to ask myself what it could be..........
plus I asked few times to vacuum well the carpet because there was a big nail on it but the day I left , it was still there .
the remote control was covered with something sticky and when I asked the receptionist if they had something to clean it , he looked at me a bit annoyed saying he couldn't help ...
i travel a lot and I'm very flexible and understanding but when it's about HYGIENE , I give no excuses : things should be fixed immediately.
that's the reason of the 3 stars (and not more ) in my review.
apart from the guy who didn't understand why I was not happy with a crusty remote control , the staff was always smily .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Macleay Hotel for a 50th birthday holiday for my sister. Although they were working on the outside of the building when we stayed there, this did not disrupt us at all. The staff were all very friendly and the old dog belonging to one of the staff was a nice talking point. The rooms were compact but comfortable (we stayed in a twin room on the first floor). It was very close to a bus stop and Woolworths and Kings Cross Station was only a 5 minute walk away. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Would be a good idea to make sure that you don't get a room next to the lifts.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I first stayed at the Macleay several years ago when I was looking on the internet for an affordable room in Potts Point or nearby. At that time no mention was made of the view so imagine my surprise when I threw open the curtains to be presented with a glorious vista of Elisabeth Bay and out to the Heads.
The second time I stayed my room had an equally impressive view to the west - the Opera House and the Bridge. Beautiful.
These days the rooms with a view attract a premium price, but it is still a good place to stay; close to everything and the rooms are clean and comfortable. They even have a little kitchen for those on a budget and there's a Woolies across the road.

Room Tip: Worth the extra to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Macleay Hotel? Share your experiences!