“5 star doesn't mean what it used to” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Sydney

You added InterContinental Sydney to your Saves list
InterContinental Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #19 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“5 star doesn't mean what it used to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in a low floor city view room. The rooms/finishing are starting to look their age. Although, the room is designed well. Loved the window seat and good working size desk. The bathroom was functional with a great little window to the living area to allow you to see the TV. (Reinforces earlier comment about design!)
TV screens are now bigger in most hotels.
The front door crew were efficient and professional. Check in/out was smooth.
Room service- wow the prices! Plus a $6 delivery charge. (Should have eaten at Rockpool, it would have been cheaper!!)
They still offer an old fashioned turndown service, only if you request it. What does it mean to be a 5 star these days?

• Stayed August 2013
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear BrizzieJim

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am pleased that overall you had a pleasant stay with us.

With regards to room service pricing, I wish to assure you that our pricing is very in line with all 5 star hotel room service prices. I do hope you enjoyed your meal.

We do hope that we can welcome your return to InterContinental Sydney.

Warm regards
Joerg Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental for two nights in a harbour view room on the 17th floor. The view was definitely worth it. The room was spacious with plenty of sitting areas, sofa, window seat and writing desk etc.
The hotel is a great mix of old world charm and modern interiors, the lobby was a fabulous place to chill out with a glass of wine and snack at the end of a long day on your feet. The food in the lobby was really tasty (we had tapas) and good value. We also have a wonderful breakfast in the restaurant which had a great selection of good quality food, and excellent service.
We found the staff to be very professional, and everything went to plan with no hiccups from check in to check out.
You must try the pool, if only for that perfect view!

Room Tip: Really do splash out for harbour view- worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear cove3,

Your review was a pleasure to read and I thank you for taking the time to share it.
I am thoroughly pleased to hear that you enjoyed many of the facilities here at InterContinental Sydney, including our pool and the lovely Cortile lounge in the lobby, which is a great perspective from which to soak up several of the beautiful historic features of the hotel. Your positive comments of the food and beverage selection have also been shared with the team.
Our views are some of the best in Sydney, I agree and I am glad you had a room where you were able to enjoy them.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Mays Landing, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Overall the stay was good, rooms had a good view and staff were friendly. bathrooms were small and dated-definitely need renovating! we were disappointed with the breakfast which we thought was very basic.

Dear GinaNJ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am very pleased to hear that our staff impressed you during your stay. Our location is also a great one and closely situated to all visitors' needs.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast selection in our restaurant. I have shared your feedback with our Cafe Opera team and our chefs and thank you for sharing these also. All guest feedback is very valuable to us
Our bathrooms are on the small side and your additional comments here are noted as well. Thanks you.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Sydney , Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The stars of the Hotel again (we stayed late last year) were the staff, absolutely brilliant! Everywhere we went in the hotel whenever we encountered an employee they were first class , in fact world class. The room, the view etc were as expected and it would be a tough person to find fault with either. Since our last stay a Meat & Wine Co has opened on the hotels ground floor which for us was good news as it meant there was a bar open when we returned from dinner that felt like a bar - sorry but I do not class the Cortile area a "bar". We enjoyed a few drinks here late and my only feedback to the hotel would be that if this area is not run by hotel staff then I would at least insist on a certain level of professionalism - staff when finishing shift sitting at the bar having a drink I am sure would not be the norm for an area with guests. Aside from that note the cocktails were well made and enjoyed! Highly recommend the hotel.

Dear Michael Y,

I am very pleased we could welcome you back for another enjoyable stay with us and that our staff were the standout once again! Our colleagues provide a wonderful level of professional and friendly service to all our guests and this shows in the comments you have made for both this stay and your last.
I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the new restaurant located within the hotel, The Meat & Wine Co. I have also passed your comments on to their management and I thank you for providing this valuable feedback with regards to staff using the facility after their shift.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again in the very near future for another memorable stay.

Marlboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

From the moment we checked in, I felt the service was just wonderful. We spent extra to use Club Intercontinental and I think it was well worth it. Enjoy breakfast and drinks/canapés daily while taking in the beautiful views from the 32nd floor!

Grizzell provided top notch services - some of the best concierge services I've ever experienced. She was extremely helpful and pleasant. Wasil was another outstanding employee. Overall, the people make the trip and Intercontinental makes it apparent that they place service high on the priority list.

Dear JonTon102,

I was very pleased to read your wonderful comments in your review, thank you!
I have shared this with our team and I 100% agree with you that Grizzell, Wasif and the team in Club InterContinental provide a level of service which is hard to match, as do all of our colleagues. They are exceptional ambassadors for our hotel.
You are correct in saying that the service provided to our guests is very high on the agenda here at InterContinental Sydney, as it should be in any hotel.
It is pleasing to hear you thoroughly enjoyed the use of our Club lounge as well as your stay in the hotel and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another memorable stay in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

What a great conference. I arrived a few days early, on the 28th floor with spectacular view. Great room with a double head shower, although some others had a shower over a bath(glad I didn't as love a good shower). Wonderful service, nothing too much trouble ( I used concierge 5 times). Food magnificent. I normally hate buffet breakfasts and always get them to poach eggs for me. They not only had poached eggs but everything else you may want. A choice of individual branded tubs of of yoghurt, yakult, smoked salmon, poached eggs, even rice for the Asian palate. OMG. Soooo much. Individual pots of tea. Great service. I truly can't say enough about the service and quality. 4 minutes walk to circular quay. So central. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Stayed August 2013
Dear Adelaide_girl_SA,

What a pleasure to read your review! Thank you for taking the time to post it.
We are very fortunate to have some very talented chefs as part of our team here at InterContinental Sydney. They certainly have wonderful ideas and I am glad you found our buffet extensive and with everything to your liking.
I am pleased you found your room to be comfortable and the service you received was up to the high standards for which we are known. All of your comments have been shared with our entire team.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was actually a surprise stay booked by my boyfriend. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel special. Our room was ready - 20th floor with beautiful views of the bridge and the harbour. The room was spacious with modern decor and an amazing bay window seat to gaze out at the view. We used the swimming pool which also has amazing views. The concierge was great in arranging a last minute occasion dinner for us, and all the staff were courtious, personable and couldnt do enough to help. The beds were very comfy although the only small thing was the air conditioning was a little noisy throughout the night which did disturb my sleep. We had a late check out and a great buffet breakfast- the food is amazing. A fantastic experience- would love to return.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with harbour views- it will take your breath away!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear autumn1082,

How wonderful to read your review! I am glad you had such a memorable stay with us for your special occasion. We are extremely lucky to have such beautiful views available to us and our guests are constantly in awe of them, as are the staff who get to enjoy them too. The bay window is a prefect spot to enjoy the views, I agree!

I have shared your pleasing comments with all our team and I hope we have the chance to offer you a warm welcome back again.