“Good but could have been better.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Sydney

You added InterContinental Sydney to your Saves list
InterContinental Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #19 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Signal Hill, California
“Good but could have been better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The room was nice and spacious. The concierge was top notch, but the remaining service was fair. As an Intercontinental Ambassador member, I expected the "guaranteed" room upgrade. The next two upgrade levels were unavailable so I was offered the third upgrade level at a discounted rate. I didn't want a discounted rate which would have still been an additional $75 per night. I guess 'guaranteed' is defined differently in Australia. After day 3 of 5, they finally offered to comp the in-room wi-fi. Yes, they charge for internet service. Other than the marginal Ambassador service, the hotel is nice. However, I would argue that it is slightly over priced

Room Tip: Be sure to pick a harbourside view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear TonyG562

Thank you for your review and please accept our apologies for not providing you with an upgrade. I do hope other than this that your stay was enjoyed and that we are given another opportunity to welcome your return.

Thank you again.

Kind regards
Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental Sydney for seven nights in mid-November. It is an impressive hotel and perfectly located as it's within a 5-10 minute walk to the Opera House, Circular Quay, Hyde Park and The Rocks district.

The service was great from the moment the bell-boy opened our taxi door and took our luggage upon arrival, right through to the complimentary bottles of water we received when we departed. The beautiful Cortile lobby bar and lounge is dark, cosy and perfect for a quiet drink at the end of the night. The service there was excellent, especially from Eduardo G, and I recommend trying the Quesadillas from the menu - they were to die for. Room service is expensive so if you're too tired to be waited on in a restaurant then I would suggest getting a quick, cheap takeaway from the Hungry Jacks, McDonald's or fish and chip shop at Circular Quay.

My one big criticism was the absence of free wi-fi. I believe it would have cost me AUD$25 for 24-hours of access which is extortionate, especially when we stayed at four other hotels on our holiday in Australia and Singapore that all provided complimentary wi-fi to its guests. Again, if you need wi-fi access, pay a visit to McDonald's and use their wi-fi free of charge.

According to the taxi driver that drove us to the hotel, government officials stay here when they are in town so if it's good enough for them....

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

when checking in we were told we had to wait 15 to 20 min so our room could be checked , i asked why she said because , we were just told to wait , when we ask why did you not take our bags her reply was what do you want me to do about it , bad service , she grab the bags in a huff and stomp off.very sad , i am a well travel person and have never been treated so poorly .
Te rooms were fine , the hotel is in a good position , the service after the front desk encounter was good , but i dont thik i would stay there again .

Room Tip: ask for the rooms with a view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Zoe84Lee81

Appreciate the time you have taken to write you review and very pleased that you had a good stay with us.

It was pleasing to read that Eduardo and our Bell team were able to impress you with their great service,they are all great ambassadors for our hotel. The free wifi, this is something we are currently working and have taken your feedback on board.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming your return for another great stay.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip as a conference was being held at the hotel.

It's a lovely hotel with but I certainly would not rate it any better than Four Seasons, Sofitel or Shangri-La. The rooms are a little outdated and believe that the hotel is in need of serious refurbishment however, the views are fantastic.

More care needs to be taken by the front desk staff to cater for individual requirements when in group booking situations.

The breakfasts were fantastic and the chef's were so polite. The food was certainly one of the best at any high quality hotel chain.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello Jazabella84

Appreicate your review thankyou, pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us during your conference trip.

Pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and the food overall, this was great to read.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome your return soon.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Like most InterContinentals, this one is beautiful. The check-in process was a little rocky because they simply did not have enough staff on to handle to number of people needing service. Based on other trip advisor reviews, I requested a room with an Opera House view. I am so glad that I did! Every minute I was in my room I was delighted by simply looking out towards the windows. The roomservice breakfast was delicious and always delivered on time. My tea did NOT taste like coffee and that is the sign of a hotel that pays attention to the details. My only complaint is that my bed was not the cushy experience I have come to expect from other high end hotels. The mattress felt very old, like, I could feel the springs and I had to sleep on the opposite side of the bed to avoid the dip caused by too many people sleeping on one side vs the other. That said, I did not complain because I didn't want to risk losing my postcard perfect view by moving to another room.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear kwchilly

Appreicate the time you have taken to write your review, thank you.

Pleased you enjoyed the view from your room as well as breakfast.

With regards to your bed, we are actually in the process of replacing mattresses, so on you next visit you will notice this difference.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming your return.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I regularly use this hotel for business in Sydney. The rooms are well set up for getting some work some and the service and food are good. The staff are friendly and try to help as much as they can (such as supplying the BB charger you left home). I like the harbour view rooms the best - tip 1724 has a great view of the bridge and Luna park

• Stayed November 2012
Hello Oldtimerlex_12

Thank you for your review, it is great to know that being a regular stayer that you find our rooms comfortable, enjoyable food and our colleagues are always at hand to assist you.

Thank you again and we look forward to continuing to welcome you.

Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the InterContinental for one night following a cruise (2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 13). The location was fantastic, with easy walking distance to Circular Quay train station and the ferries. The room was a good size and can easily accommodate a family of four. We had a harbour view room and the view was to die for! The beds were 2 x queens and really comfortable. The pool up on the 31st floor also has incredible views of the harbour, bridge, opera house, botanical gardens, etc. Can easily walk into the CBD from the hotel too. The staff were so friendly and accommodating, especially as we arrived early and had kids, they put us straight into a room despite us arriving before check-in time. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Harbour View rooms have unbelievable views of the harbour.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello Lee W

Thank you very much for your review, it was great to read your family had an enjoyable stay with us.

Pleased the views impressed you as well as our pool area and our colleagues along with being able to provide you with an early check in.

Thank you again and hopefully we can welcome your family once again in the very near future.

Acting General Manager

Been to InterContinental Sydney? Share your experiences!