“Always impresses me” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Sydney

You added InterContinental Sydney to your Saves list
InterContinental Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Always impresses me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I was thrilled to be able to check in 2 hours early as I had a wedding to get ready for, and as an Ambassador I was upgraded to the eastern harbour view room - on the 23rd floor, which afforded me a gorgeous view including part of the Opera House. As I was getting ready a lady from guest relations arrived with a bowl of fruit, mineral water and a bottle of red, on the house. Always a lovely touch.

The room was spotless and well equipped. My only gripe is the lack of ipod dock. The TV radio channels lacked any upbeat "getting ready to party" music, so a dock would have been handy.

Upon my return to the hotel at midnight, the turndown service staff had placed more comp water beside my bed and a bucket of ice near the mini bar- perhaps they noticed what I had consumed prior to leaving for the wedding and thought I might need it ;-)

The room was oh so quiet, which was much appreciated the next morning when I awoke with a sore head. A quick call to reception ensured my 4pm late check out was noted on my reservation. When I did check out it was fast and efficient. The only sting being the $150 odd mini bar bill - oops.

The IC Sydney will remain my number one choice when visiting.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Absolute pleasure to read your review and it is so pleasing to know we are your number one choice of hotel in Sydney. Thank you.

We do always to try accommodate our guests needs and I am very pleased we were able to provide you with an early check in as well as extending to you all those other little touches that do make a big difference.

Thank you again and we do look forward to welcoming your return to InterContinental Sydney.

Fred Matti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in October mainly for the excellent location close to Circular Quay. Although I didn't have any complaints about the room or service, my overall experience fell a great deal short of expectations for a 5 star hotel with the Intercontinantal badge as previously experienced in other Intercon. hotels. The room was fine, the bathroom a tad dated, the service OK, but for the money not worth it. On a plus side however the buffet breakfast was lovely having a large range of organic options which was much appreciated. However the long wait for a table, then for coffee to be delivered and then waiting again at each food station was annoying. I don't think I'll be coming back as there are plenty of other better value 5 star hotels in as good a location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing your review and I do hope overall your stay with us was enjoyed.

Your comments with regards to service in our resturant has been shared with our Director of Food & Beverage, thank you for letting us know.

I understand there are other hotels in Sydney for you to choose from however, I do hope you will reconsider and return once again in the future.

Montgomery, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My partner and I were lucky enough to stay at the Intercontinental Sydney for 5 nights in September. We arrived at 7am after a 21 hour flight and were booked straight into our Eastern Harbour view room, and what a view that room had! The hotel is in a fantastic location, we do not think we could have been closer to everything, The Botanical Gardens, Opera House, Circular Quay, Harbour Bridge.The room was spotless and very quiet.Breakfast in The Opera restaurant was amazing with such a great selection, Room service was also fantastic! All of the staff were so friendly and more than helpful, The concierge, restaurant and cleaning staff are a real asset to the hotel. We hope we are lucky enough to be able to return again soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review and I am most pleased to know your 5 nights with us was thoroughly enjoyed.

We do try to accommodate early arriving guests and I am pleased occupancy allowed us to do this for you.

I too hope you will return to us very soon to enable you to once again enjoy InterContinental Sydney.

Thank you.

West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

A warm welcome and pleasant staff, but do not expect an early check in, even if you have flown for 24 hours to get to Sydney: the hotel will charge another night. Rooms are excellent and we were fortunate to be upgraded to Opera House view - amazing - where I could see my office across the water. Very clean, as you would expect, and a great location for business and vacation - bring a short walk to Circular Quay.

Room Tip: If you need early check in, book in advance.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry we were unable to provide you with an early check in on this occasion. We certainly do try to accommodate all guests who arrive early morning, however with guests departing at 11am and rooms requiring to be serviced for 3pm check in, this can prove to be difficult when the hotel is at full occupancy.

I am pleased though that overall your stay was enjoyed and you will be returning to us again soon.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

From check in I was greeted quickly and my room was ready very early which was a bonus, The room was clean and spacious, the amenities were first class. They had no problem sending ice up to the room without an additional cost to do so. The views were second to none from our eastern harbourside room and the views from the pool on the top floor are probably the best from any hotekl in sydney.
The staff are friendlyl well dressed and professional, nothing was too much trouble at any time,they even opened up the business centre and internet free of charge and assisted me trying to find out what was happening with my qantas flight.
They could get a cab in under a minute, no fluke as we cuaght 5 cabs in the 4 days there and each time it was pulling up seconds later. They even delivered a complimentary bottle of wine as we were celebrating a special occassion.
The location was excellent, walking distance to the rocks and the ferry, Harbour bridge, waterfront restaturant, opera house, IGA supermarket,etc.
I highly rate this hotel and would suggest that before you look at slightly cheaper hotels, weigh up the experience because this hotel is roughly only $80 a night dearer than a 3.5/4 star hotel but well worth the extra and you will love staying here, I will be back again definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for an eastern side harbour view room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
It gave me great pleasure to read your review, thank you so much.

I am pleased we were able to provide you with an early check in and you found the hotel as well as our colleagues to be of a high standard.

I am also happy to know that our gesture for your celebration was enjoyed.

Thank you again and we do hope you will continue to celebrate at InterContinental Sydney in the future.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I had to be close to Sydney CBD and previously I stayed on Pitt St. in one of different hotels but this time decided that I needed to be even closer to the destination I was visiting. The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating despite that I showed up at the hotel at 8am in the morning. The rooms are very well maintained and clean, super soft pillows meant that the time difference melted away at night. The pool is located on the top floor and the views are great, so you can relax, enjoy exercise and experience great views of Sydney. Gym was actually very busy but there was space to exercise even in the morning rush. Buffet dinner and breakfast are worth stopping by if you are in a hurry or not sure where to eat.
The location of the hotel is perfect for those needing to get to anywhere in the CBD, most places are minutes away, Circular Quay train station is very close by as are obviously all the ferry services from the Circular Quay.

Room Tip: Higher floors have amazing views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed here for work & it was rather soulless

To me the deal breaker was the shower over the bath - water pressure is non-existent.

That in itself is enough for me to prefer to stay at lower rated properties with equal service

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Sydney? Share your experiences!