“Good location, ask for high floor & room with a view.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Sydney World Square

You added Ibis Sydney World Square to your Saves list
Ibis Sydney World Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   382 - 384 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #109 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
UK
“Good location, ask for high floor & room with a view.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Location good for exploring the city / Darling Harbour. Near China Town. Near Monorail station.

Basic, clean, kettle, fridge, good shower. Had a room with 3 beds even though I was travelling alone. I was there for 2 weeks so it was nice to have the space. Overlooked an alley though so no view & could hardly see the sky - not good for such a long stay. On 2nd floor did experience noise from night club next door @ weekends.

Housekeeping & Duty Manager very friendly / helpful.

Only offer breakfast but you can get cheaper / better brekkie & other meals outside the hotel very easily.

Did have a cockroach in my room one night, but guess that could happen anywhere!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
IbisWorldSquare_GM, Michelle Taylor at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, January 3, 2010
Thank you very much your review and compliments of the hotel and its staff. I am very proud of the entire team and this review is a direct reflection of their consistent desire to deliver the best level of customer service possible.

As you have also mentioned the hotel is ideally located for the business and leisure traveller, and I am glad you had such an enjoyable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

I'm not a traveler who gets too concerned with how fancy my hotel is, it just needs to be clean, safe, and in a central location. So for me, the Ibis was great. The rooms are admittedly a little on the small side, but they were very clean, had a decent sized closet, and all the little items you hope to find in a hotel room (iron, coffee pot, full length mirror, hair dryer). The beds were comfortable and the TVs got plenty of channels for the little down time we spent in the room. Which is a point I think I should stress - if you like spending time IN the hotel, this is probably not the place for you. My friend and I spent very little time at the hotel.

In terms of location, the hotel is really close to a metro stop, which is really convenient, but we were also able to walk pretty easily to a lot too. In a perfect world, it would have been half a mile further north, but, burning calories is a good thing too. The area is very Asian, and there are many restaurants of that persuasion nearby.

I liked this hotel, and would have no problem staying again, though would probably also check rates of hotels a tiny bit more central.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, January 3, 2010
Thank you very much your review and compliments of the hotel and its staff.
Devon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Australia is not cheap thanks to the exchange rate so to make your money stretch sometimes you have to downgrade. So the Ibis is a popular place for people on a budget. Its got a good location (just don't haul luggage on the train from the airport and try to get it up the nearby Museum station which has no elevators - take a taxi instead) and is close to the monorail and the CBD.
The rooms are all on the small side but they are clean, have good city views and are well equipped. This may not be your most memorable or romantic night in a hotel, but you should get a good nights sleep before you take on Sydney!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, November 8, 2009
Hi,

Thank you for your review.
I am glad you have a great visit to Sydney.
Our rooms are perfect for the visitor on the go.

Regards,

michelle
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

i had the chance to book a room at the Westin on Martin place for a cheaper price than the ibis, but decided to give ibis a try since i had never stayed with them before. I arrived super early in the morning from Toronto, went straight to the hotel and even thought check in time was not until 14:00 the lady at the desk said i could check in earlier as soon as a room became available. She offered me a smoking room which i had to turn down since im allergic to smoke. I waited for an hour and a half just to see two couples (male-male and female -male) just walked in and get their rooms on the spot. The girl behind the desk forgot about me and gave more rooms away even though i was sitting in front of her in the lobby. after questioning the fact that i waited for so long for the room when they actually had some available, she just didn't seem to care. handed me the key and that was the end of it. Later that night i booked the airport shuttle service from them, originally wanted to book it for 7 30 am ( it takes about an hour to get to the airport, since the shuttle stops at every other hotel in Sydney), the 7 30 shuttle wasn't available, so they gave me the 8:30..i got there around 8 :15 since they ask you to be at the lobby 10 minutes prior to scheduled pick up time. Shuttle never showed up, same girl who ignored me the day before said the shuttle was never booked ( even thought they had already taken my money) the manager Michelle was present and saw what was going on, and demanded them( the shuttle bus company) to pay for my taxi to the airport...at the end i just got my money back for the shuttle and had to take the train. Overall, a bad experience, would i stay there again ? the answer is NO.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Hi,

Thank you. I did a check on the other rooms that were avaliable and they were smoking rooms, whic you did not want. However I am glad we were still able to give you an early check in.
In regards to the Shuttle Bus, I understand the staff have contacted you and given you a refund. The owner of the shuttle Bus company was not avalible on the day of departure and the other staff was not able to assist us in your matter.
We hope you will return to Sydney in the near future.
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We had such a great time in Sydney and enjoyed our time spent at the Ibis. One thing I will say is that it is only a budget hotel so do not expect too much. We went there expecting less and came away pleasntly surprised.

The staff were great, I had a problem with the aircon and I just told reception on the way out and when I came back it was fixed. The rooms are small but all we did was sleep in there anyway, we spent all our 4 days exploring. They had all the basic ammenities a hotel should have.

The resturant only did breakfast but with a pub and good pub meals on every corner you didnt need to eat there anyway. One pub I will suggest is the Crown Hotel one block up best meal I had in Sydney. The selection was just fine and all the food was cooked quite well. The staff were always cleaning the tables and the place was sometimes too clean.

If you get to meet the famous Theo your holiday will be even better. He always had us in stiches and was never without a smile. All the staff were fantastic. Greeting us with a smile and a hello as soon as we walked into the door. We are not really used to that. The staff obviously love their job or have excellent training. Could be a combination of both.

I cannot wait to visit Sydney again and will be using the Ibis next time I stay there. :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Hi,
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit to Sydney, and look forward to passing on your comments to the team.

Michelle
swings07
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Only stayed one night, so perhaps was given the worst room on level 2.
Its the worst room because the night club next door sounds like its in your room. It went til after 4am. Enough said.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
IbisWorldSquare_GM, General Manager at Ibis Sydney World Square, responded to this review, October 7, 2009
Dear Reviewer,

I was most concerned to read of the problems you experienced during your stay in relation to being disturbed by the noise of the Civic Hotel located next door to the Ibis Hotel. Rest assured I have discussed these shortcomings with the owner of the Civic Hotel in order to avoid such occurrences in the future. As it was the Grand Final football weekend, they had a group in attending a function. It is my understanding the Night Auditor requested the music be turned down and the request was honoured.

Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Stayed at this hotel as I was booked in for a conference. The room had already been fully booked and upon arriving they requested that I pay for the room. As it was after business hours I couldn't call my employer but I refused to pay and told them that I would get my employer to contact them first thing in the morning. As I was staying 3 nights they said this was fine.

I had requested a double room and was given a twin. Room tiny, bathroom even smaller and not the cleanest... only good thing about the room was the plasma tv. Breakfast was average.

I went to use the gym equipment one morning... half of it not working. On the last day, rubbish was left by the cleaners from the morning in the foyer near the lifts on my floor for over 4 hours. You had to hold your breath everytime you wanted to use the lift.

Only good thing about this hotel is the location. Central to everything.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to take photos and review the Hotel.
The Gym is fully operational and is checked by an outside company every 3 months. The Report is then placed in a frame on the wall. I have personally checked the Gym and all equipment is operational. Could it be possible you did not understand how to use the equipment, the staff will always assist if possible.
Unfortunately I can not change the views from the rooms as we are located in the City Centre and yes some building tops are unattractive. The building you took a photo of is the Mandarin Club and it is in the midst of reconstruction. They may upgrade the rooftop.
I will speak to the housekeeping department in regards to the garbage left in the hallway., this is not our normal standard.

Warm Regards,

Michelle Taylor

Been to Ibis Sydney World Square? Share your experiences!