“Great boutique hotel at the rocks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection

You added Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34-52 Harrington Street | The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #29 of 184 Hotels in Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel and the view from my rooftop room was beautiful with the opera house in sight. It's an old building, I believe over 100 years old so if you are looking for ultra modern I recommend a different hotel. I like both type of hotels but will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

There is no question this is a delightful, well located, high grade hotel. Located in the delightful Rocks area, it is a stones throw to all that area offers whether the shopping on George Street, a stroll up to the Harbour Bridge or a look around the Rocks Discovery Museum to learn how this area being the mainstay of Sydney settlers was saved from demolition and the story of the Aboriginal history. However, while room 106 which I occupied is well furnished! It sits behind a bookshelf opposite the reception, bar and lobby, next to public toilets and the office. I'm a very frequent traveller but never really settled in the room given the extent of noise that can travel. I should not be conscious in my room of avoiding noise travelling to a public area or be concerned about external noise. There's an open atrium above the lobby and I imagine first floor rooms around that must also hear what's going on. Ok in the quieter winter months perhaps but I suspect a different story in the summer. Breakfast was excellent but on the first morning, when I decided I would like to take up the offer advertised on the reception but not mentioned on check in, I was told it was only available on check in. However we got round that but it's a bit of a pointless rule. Tell folk at the time or be flexible. The room was well priced for Sydney, great location but a little uncomfortable niggle or two.

Room Tip: Be careful on room selection and if you want an admittedly excellent breakfast! As about it on check...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed 2 nights on business, the reception staff were great on check in, I was lucky to get a room on the upper floor with views of the bridge and opera house, the rooms are small but very well laid out, the restaurant offers good value and quality food. as this is a boutique hotel it comes with features some will love and some will not ie small bathroom, if you have more than a couple of items you wish to use you will have to leave them in the bedroom, there is no lift (only 2 floors up), but luggage will be carried to you room if required, all this is made up for by a massive amounts of charm rarely found these days in modern hotels. the gym is small but functional or you can take to the outdoors and walk to the opera house or over the harbour bridge. this hotel want be for everyone but it certainly was for me.

Room Tip: I had room 305 which had a great view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
TravelJames7, Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Harbour Rocks Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We also thank you for getting it, and understanding that value is not always determined by space and quantity but by quality, uniqueness and great customer service which comes in bucket loads Harbour Rocks.

Management
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Harbour Rocks Hotel for an extended weekend. We received a welcome from staff at reception although we were very early, too early for check in, so we left our luggage to return at check-in time. The Hotel is very easy to find. If you arrive at the airport, catch the train to Circular Quay and it is a short walk over George Street into Harrington. The room was very darkly painted but clean as was the bathroom. Our room (like a lot of them) overlooked a small courtyard and backed onto a lane-way. I must say I did find it noisy at night with people (not traffic) outside in the lane-way however my husband did not at all. The room was heated at a nice temperature and also had air-con.
Breakfast had a great selection of food and was very nice and the staff were pleasant and the service very good. The hotel is located in the popular Rocks area that is within walking distance to lots of cafes, restaurants, bars, train, bus and ferry services. There is also a convenience store across the road. You would not get a better tourist location! I would also recommend the Sydney Cover Oyster Bar for breakfast - sitting outdoors overlooking beautiful Sydney harbour, the bridge and the opera house, and the Argyle bar for drinks.
Although I found it a bit noisy I would stay there again purely for location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We decided on this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were NOT DISAPPOINTED! My hubby and I visited Sydney for the first time (8 - 13 August 2013) and booked the Heritage Queen Room (the lowest category) at Harbour Rocks Hotel for 1 night on 8 August 2013 as we were planning to set off for Blue Mountains early and wanted to check out The Rocks during the night.

We arrived late as our flight from Singapore was slightly delayed, and only checked in at about 7.30pm. We were greeted warmly by Matt at the lobby and he helped us with our luggage from our rental car. While there is no proper driveway (this is a historic building!), we were allowed to stop and offload our luggage and so there was absolutely no inconvenience to us.

When we checked in, we were given a very pleasant surprise in the form of a complimentary upgrade to the studio suite (check out my photos)! Our luggage was also brought up to our room on the 2nd storey for us. Do note that there is no guest lift for this hotel and hence, this may not be so accessible as you will need to take the stairs to your room.

The room was spacious and airy with very lovely vintage windows (though I couldn't seem to open the windows). The bathroom is slightly on the small side with a shower and no bath. However, we were more than comfortable since we weren't intending to soak in a bath anyway! The room was very clean (from the sofa, floor, bathroom, pillows, bedsheets and towels) and there were bathrobes provided in the cupboard too. I only wished that there were bedroom slippers (but it seems that most hotels in Sydney don't provide them!) which would have made this hotel perfect. The MOST IMPORTANT thing I want to share is that the bed and pillows are super soft and so very comfortable! Both my hubby and I totally agree that this is the best hotel bed that we've slept on in all our travels (and we've travelled to many countries and stayed in many high-end hotels)!! The bed and pillows somehow supports our body weight to a perfect fit and we were so comfortable that we slept all the way till 10am instead of waking up early! We would bring the bed back if we could. My hubby and I agree that if we return to Sydney, we will definitely stay here again.

Aside from the wonderful room, the hotel is located at a fantastic location. You have a convenience store located immediately opposite the hotel entrance which is open till 2am in the morning. You are within a 10-minute walk to Circular Quay where you get great views of Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge (see photos!). For tourists, you can try the Pancakes On the Rocks which is open 24 hours and is apparently a favourite hang-out for young locals too. There are also many eateries in the area, just outside the hotel. My hubby and I strongly recommend Sailor's Thai which has very good Thai food. During the weekend, there will be markets at The Rocks and you can get loads of local stuff there. There is also a very famous stall with beef burgers and also a stall with long queues for desserts.

In terms of service, they have a wonderful staff. Checked in by Matt was great and checking out by Melissa was fabulous too. Service was prompt and always with a smile. All in all, a wonderful hotel. We definitely enjoyed our short stay and will DEFINITELY be back here when we are in Sydney!

Room Tip: If you can afford to splurge a little, go for the studio suite. The bedroom is huge and the bed is c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It is a while since we last stayed here, not since it was renovated. Great renovations, sensitively done to this historic building. Love the foyer with the bookshelves.
We had a delightful room, full of light and views over the rooftops to the Opera House. We enjoyed staying in it for our 2 nights. Of course the location is just great, history in the streets, lots of cafes, easy walks to Art Gallery through Botanic Gardens and more...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!