“Nice boutique hotel in a great location and a fantastic bed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney MGallery Collection

Save Saved
You added Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney MGallery Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34-52 Harrington Street | The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early, spend less!
Ranked #29 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice boutique hotel in a great location and a fantastic bed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We decided on this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were NOT DISAPPOINTED! My hubby and I visited Sydney for the first time (8 - 13 August 2013) and booked the Heritage Queen Room (the lowest category) at Harbour Rocks Hotel for 1 night on 8 August 2013 as we were planning to set off for Blue Mountains early and wanted to check out The Rocks during the night.

We arrived late as our flight from Singapore was slightly delayed, and only checked in at about 7.30pm. We were greeted warmly by Matt at the lobby and he helped us with our luggage from our rental car. While there is no proper driveway (this is a historic building!), we were allowed to stop and offload our luggage and so there was absolutely no inconvenience to us.

When we checked in, we were given a very pleasant surprise in the form of a complimentary upgrade to the studio suite (check out my photos)! Our luggage was also brought up to our room on the 2nd storey for us. Do note that there is no guest lift for this hotel and hence, this may not be so accessible as you will need to take the stairs to your room.

The room was spacious and airy with very lovely vintage windows (though I couldn't seem to open the windows). The bathroom is slightly on the small side with a shower and no bath. However, we were more than comfortable since we weren't intending to soak in a bath anyway! The room was very clean (from the sofa, floor, bathroom, pillows, bedsheets and towels) and there were bathrobes provided in the cupboard too. I only wished that there were bedroom slippers (but it seems that most hotels in Sydney don't provide them!) which would have made this hotel perfect. The MOST IMPORTANT thing I want to share is that the bed and pillows are super soft and so very comfortable! Both my hubby and I totally agree that this is the best hotel bed that we've slept on in all our travels (and we've travelled to many countries and stayed in many high-end hotels)!! The bed and pillows somehow supports our body weight to a perfect fit and we were so comfortable that we slept all the way till 10am instead of waking up early! We would bring the bed back if we could. My hubby and I agree that if we return to Sydney, we will definitely stay here again.

Aside from the wonderful room, the hotel is located at a fantastic location. You have a convenience store located immediately opposite the hotel entrance which is open till 2am in the morning. You are within a 10-minute walk to Circular Quay where you get great views of Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge (see photos!). For tourists, you can try the Pancakes On the Rocks which is open 24 hours and is apparently a favourite hang-out for young locals too. There are also many eateries in the area, just outside the hotel. My hubby and I strongly recommend Sailor's Thai which has very good Thai food. During the weekend, there will be markets at The Rocks and you can get loads of local stuff there. There is also a very famous stall with beef burgers and also a stall with long queues for desserts.

In terms of service, they have a wonderful staff. Checked in by Matt was great and checking out by Melissa was fabulous too. Service was prompt and always with a smile. All in all, a wonderful hotel. We definitely enjoyed our short stay and will DEFINITELY be back here when we are in Sydney!

Room Tip: If you can afford to splurge a little, go for the studio suite. The bedroom is huge and the bed is c...

488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It is a while since we last stayed here, not since it was renovated. Great renovations, sensitively done to this historic building. Love the foyer with the bookshelves.
We had a delightful room, full of light and views over the rooftops to the Opera House. We enjoyed staying in it for our 2 nights. Of course the location is just great, history in the streets, lots of cafes, easy walks to Art Gallery through Botanic Gardens and more...

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last Saturday night. We were in the City for the Harbour Bridge Climb for my husband's 40th b'day.
We frequently stay in the City but have never stayed in The Rocks.
We LOVED this hotel. The location is fantastic and just steps from everything The Rocks has to offer, including the markets and Guylian cafe.
We found our room to be quiet and a good size. The bathroom toiletries are really cute and feature Aussie scents like lemon myrtle. The staff at the front desk were really friendly and helpful, at check in and check out.
We really wanted to try the restaurant but just didn't have enough time.
But we plan on staying here again and again.

Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and our 7 year old son stayed here recently after arriving into Sydney from a Carnival Spirit Cruise. We splurged and booked the rooftop penthouse suite, and I considered it EXCELLENT value for money.
Firstly our greeting on arrival was the perfect mix of professional and genuinely friendly. Check in was 2pm but we arrived at 9.30am hoping to just leave our bags there...but no....our room was ready and we were welcome to use it - with their compliments. Tick 1.
Secondly the room itself was very large and spacious, beautiful towels and bathroom accessories, very modern but retaining a huge amount of character. Well equipped kitchen, Nespresso coffee machine (and pods) complimentary, comfy sofabed lounge and really good televisions. Tick 3
Thirdly the rooftop area had an outdoor lounge, barbeque and views of Sydney Harbour, the opera house and Harbour Bridge. Tick 4
Fourthly the location is brilliant, walking distance to the Rocks weekend market, restaurants and circular quay ferries. tick 5
On a small footnote we needed a sitter at very, very short notice and the staff made it happen.
Particular thanks to Seb and all the arvo shift on Sat 28th July, fab people.
Sadly our few days went too quickly, and wouldnt you know it, check out was at 11am but we were welcome to use the room till 2.30 when we left for the airport, at NO CHARGE.
Well done Harbour Rocks, I was so impressed not only will I stay there again I fully intend to try your Melbourne property when next I'm there.

Room Tip: The only thing about this hotel is that there is no elevator in this heritage building. So if you s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TravelJames7, Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Harbour Rocks Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Management
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Fell in love with the place immediately my husband and I walked in. It felt like we were walking into someones home. The reception staff were lovely and welcoming carrying our bags upstairs for us. We got room 202 which was lovely but unfortunately no views. Impressed with the cleanliness, the cleaning staff were wonderful offering extra pillows ( much appreciated as I was nearly 9 months pregnant), they even gave me a small teddy for the newest addition of our family....:). the assistant manger was kind enough to print a couple of documents that I needed sending them up to our room when printed! The food in the restaurant was very good and good value for money with the advantage plus card... highly recommend the banana creme brulee. Breakfast was just right with all the stuff you would get at a buffet breakfast. All in all a fantastic 3 days away in a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: book early ask for the harbour view room... apparently only one of them. no lifts so if any physical...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

I remember chatting with you at breakfast, and I am sure it isn't long before you are due, so I wish you a safe and healthy birth, and look forward to one day meeting the little one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon, although I am sure your hands will be full for the time being :-)

Management
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on a recent business trip to Sydney. It is a great little boutique hotel in a good location. Service was friendly, a choice of three courses for breakfast was a nice change to the standard buffet breakfast and the room was cosy but comfortable. I would happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We recently spent several days at the Harbor Rocks Hotel
Very centrally located to Circular Quay and the city
Staff made us feel special - remembering our names and where we came from - very impressive
Particular mention to Cassandra & Peter & Santosh in the dining room - great food
Paul and Cassie on Reception and Heri & Nranji in Hotel Services
If this service is offered to all visitors I am surprised I could get a booking

Room Tip: People with poor mobility need to have a first floor room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!