“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free!
Ranked #27 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here on business and found the place was good, but not upto the 5star class. The breakfast buffet was very good including the service. Having just returned from the States where the hotels supply complimentary bottle water, here you have to pay A$10.00. Stayed on the 19th floor, room 19 with the Opera House/Harbour view. The hotel is located close to all facilities, train, dining, shopping, bus and the main attractions like the Rock Area, Harbour Bridge, Opera House and the Botantical Gardens.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have good views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

2,077 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent, very close to the Opera House and The Bridge, but, if it had not said Four Seasons outside the Hotel, I would not have known it was a Four Seasons. We have stayed in many Four Seasons Hotels, and this was nowhere near the standard we had come to expect.

We had a Grand Premier City View Room, which basically meant that you saw a tiny little bit of the hight street, and the remainder was office windows, facing your bedroom window. We didn't suffer any noise, as previous guests have commented on, but the view was not one to enjoy. I found our room size to be good, but looked exceptionally tired and could have done with a thorough clean. All the surfaces were covered with glass, that hadn't been cleaned underneath for a very long time. The bathroom felt unclean, but was probably just a bit shabby ie tiles replaced in the shower cubicle with larger tiles and different coloured grouting that was going moldy.

The hotel restaurant for breakfast was a good standard of food, but service was terribly hit and miss, with tea and coffee arriving as you had finished eating. It also closes for Sunday lunch and dinner, which was slightly inconvenient if arriving that day and didn't want to go out to find somewhere to eat. We did find out that the bar attached served snack type food, but the hotel failed to inform us of this. The attached bar is a lovely atmosphere and charming staff, but again service was a little slow, with french fries arriving as we were leaving.

Unfortunately one of my husbands shirts sent for laundering was damaged, a small tear in the arm, but the hotel did refund us the cost of the shirt.

We did write all these concerns down in the Hotel feedback form and passed on to the Manager, and have to admit that the Manager was very apologetic and did offer to move us to a different room, which we chose not to do as we only had one night left and a rather busy schedule. Once we had spoken to the Manager, we did feel that the staff become far more attentive.

In short, perfect location, but a rather tired and outdated Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your recent experience at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney.

I apologise that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our Grand Premier City View Rooms do have views of George St, while City-Harbour Views include some views of Walsh Bay, and Full Harbour View Rooms include the Opera House views.

I am glad we were able to rectify other issues during your stay, and hope we can welcome you again soon.

NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I honestly feel this has to be one of worst 5star hotels I have ever stayed in. Everything about this hotel is poor. Including the service, the breakfast buffet, and the tiny room size. The hotel itself is also very old and it clearly shows. They just redid the elevators but they still look old. There are many better options in Sydney. For a much better and cheaper option choose the intercontinental

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear ccs5t,

I apologise that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We take guest satisfaction very seriously and will take on all feedback provided in your review.

I would love to hear further any other feedback, and would welcome you to email me directly at david.macklin@fourseasons.com.

With kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here with my fiance at the Deluxe Harbour View Room - The views of Sydney Harbour and the Sydney Opera House are excellent, and the service was of a great standard. We enjoyed our stay for the majority of the time!

Some of the facilities I found out to be quite expensive (The mini-bar prices being the notable exception - Fiji water bottles priced at AUD 10.00 each, or cashew nuts for AUD 12.50! A travesty I say!).

One minor issue that I find is more of an annoyance is that the hotel is close to the train tunnels going from Circular Quay to Wynyard (and vice versa), with Wynyard station being underground. So the train noises (and cruise noises - remembering that this hotel is near the Overseas Passenger Teminal) may be a bit startling to those who have sensitive ears..

The major issue that I have with this hotel however, is the way the reception staff handles my billing.
When I checked in at the hotel on a Friday, one of the reception staff offered me a promotional offer to add in the club benefits, to which i felt enthusiastic to add this to our reservation - and took down my credit card details. However, upon checking out of the hotel just before noon, we approached a reception staff (a lady), who used charged the executive club through my EFTPOS, but then another recptionist (another lady whom we havent seen), claimed that we have not checked out as yet, and has charged that same amount (approx AUD 180.00) but through credit card then by EFTPOS. How dare that they charged my credit card twice!!!!!!

With the above being said, I thought this was a good hotel, but please ensure you check with the reception to avoid being billed twice!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with views of the Deluxe Harbour to see Sydney's iconic landmarks in style Al...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dexter Roy T,

Thank you for writing your review following your recent stay and I am pleased overall your stay was enjoyed and you found our rooms and service to be of a high standard.

I am very sorry though that one of our front desk personnel have let you down, this is very disappointing to read. Please be assured we have made all front desk staff aware of your experience so it won’t happen again.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our mini bar prices and the noise from the train station. I will personally investigate these issues with the relevant departments to see what we can do.

I do hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Located in Historic disrtict of "The Rocks" and overlooks Sydney Harbor. Very close to many main attractions like the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbor Bridge, Ferries, and Museums. Staff was accommodating and professional.

Many good eating and restaurant choices within walking distance as well. Relax after exploring in the triangle shaped outdoor heated pool. There are several small markets near by for purchasing snacks, water, beer, soda, etc..

Treat yourself to the Executive Club and take advantage of hot and cold buffet breakfast, beverages, and snacks all day, but especially for evening drinks, canapés, and swapping adventure stories and mingling with other guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a Upper level room with view of Opera House
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bohemian1966,

Thank you for sharing your review with us, it’s extremely pleasing to read that you had an exceptional stay with us, including a great experience in our Executive Club.

We look forward to having you return to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney for another great stay.

Thank you again.

Wagga Wagga, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel is excellent. The room I got was outstanding if you have a view on the opera. The room was very well equipped and the staff members very professional. The room service is good but if you order for a $30 dinner in your room they will charge $15 for the service. Don't use the mini bar, buy own drink before, you will save a lot of money . My room was great but at 6 am in the morning I was disturbed by noise coming from the bathroom of my neibourgh room! What a surprise for an hotel at that price point. In terms of location at Sydney, this hotel is fantastic to discover the town.
Well I will recommend it but you can get better value for money. Try it and give our own advice!

Room Tip: You should ask for a room with view on the opera. Fabulous.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Alain55_13,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your stay at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney.

I'm glad to see that you were pleased with our rooms and staff members. I was concerned to read your comment about our Room Service charges, however, I understand this issue was resolved during your stay. I also believe the noise issue was rectified.

We do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in future.

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

list of disappointments:
-tiny rooms
-stale, smoke smelling air
-no water at turn down ($12 for a bottle from the mini bar)
-$35/day for wifi
-2% charge for all payments with credit card

This is a slightly above average business hotel and if I didn't have four seasons expectations, I'd be happy enough with it. I stayed here over a decade ago and remember thinking the hotel wasn't up to four seasons standards then. It seems hotels change brands often in Sydney (there used to be 2 or 3 Ritz's in Sydney, now none) and I had expected this to become something less premium. While this hotel isn't at all up to four seasons standards, it's room prices are also relatively low. Come with low expectations and it's fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
David_Macklin, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Gandaratravels,

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment experienced during your stay. Your comments have been taken on board, and will be discussed with the relevant departments.

I would love to further hear your thoughts on our rooms, and would welcome you to email me directly at david.macklin@fourseasons.com.

With kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!