“Post-Cruise Convenience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Sydney

You added Four Seasons Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% Off Room Rate!
Ranked #25 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
“Post-Cruise Convenience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was my first time at a Four Seasons hotel, so I didn't know what to expect. My husband and I arrived in Sydney at the Overseas Passenger Terminal fresh from a very relaxing cruise. I had done some research online and decided this location looked great since we would be rolling our luggage from the ship. I couldn't have been happier with the distance. We walked to the end of the port area and crossed a street. We had arrived. We were welcomed and checked right in.. at 6:30 am. The lobby was elegant and spacious, and our room although not large, had a view of the Opera House. I requested a power converter box be sent up, and it was, along with a complementary bottle of champagne to celebrate our anniversary. That was a nice surprise! The hotel was convenient to shopping, the Circular Quay and ferries. We had the buffet breakfast the next morning prior to our early morning tour. The variety of food was impressive and the quality as expected. Waitstaff were very attentive.
We decided to take the train to the airport and with a walk of less than a block, $33.00AU and 30 or so minutes, we were at the airport. Couldn't have been easier.

Room Tip: We requested a room on a high floor to minimize potential noise from the street. Windows in our room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel definately has WOW factor. The location is simply wonderful. It is just a short block away from Circular Quay.......From there you can simply get anywhere in the city. We had a gorgeous room with a beautiful view of the harbour and the Opera House. The amenities were quite lovely (L'Occitane toiletries), the beds were incredibly comfortable. Tea/coffee were available in-room. However, I discovered on the first day, that the hotel have complimentary special coffee available in the lobby in the morning......So starting the day with a cappucino or latte was a nice touch. Also available was bottled water and cold towels outside the front door for the runners/walkers........
What was truly lovely, was the turn down service provided. To arrive back at the hotel after a long day and dinner to find a fresh bucket of ice was very much appreciated. The hotel was quite impressive and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable.
While not a glass and concrete "new build" that some travellers prefer, if you want great service, comfortable beds, wonderful location, and attentive, knowledgeable staff, than this IS the hotel for you. There is something charming and special about this hotel. It is warm with an "ambiance" that is missing from it's more modern counterparts!!!
Thank you for the memorable stay. I'll be back..........
R. McQuade

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a harbour/Opera House view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Having read the reviews here we were not expecting the same FS brand of service and quality as Asia or in the US. So we stayed here with little expectations.

This was the first time we had stayed at a Four Seasons where our children did not get any welcome amenities. We had asked for adjoining rooms and were advised they could not be guaranteed but they would try their best. We ended up with rooms next to each other (doors about 5m apart) and not connecting. It was not convenient at all and when I asked if any connecting rooms were available they said no, only if we upgraded to the next room category. Not very helpful, but we were only here for one night so we let it go. Not very family friendly .. At Park Hyatt, Shangrila and Radisson they were all able to guarantee adjoining rooms.

Facilities: The swimming pool is funny, as it looks like a motel pool and is accessible through a strange route through the hotel's open atrium. There is no food or drinks service outside of lunch hours on weekdays, but there are two water dispensers if you are thirsty. Not very glamorous.

Breakfast: I didn't think the buffet was anything special. The waitress was super friendly but as I was getting my eggs, a staff came up behind me and made a sighing noise to get me out of the way so he could put back some clean plates. It was weird. The restaurant may want to fix the flooring near the breakfast salad table as I almost tripped on the uneven floor.

Rooms: they were pretty ordinary. Try to avoid low floors and facing Cahill Expressway unless you want to be woken up at 6 by trains, trucks and cars. Some rooms have doors very near each other so you can hear doors closing. Bathrooms are on the small side.

Overall, I'm surprised this hotel can be a Four Seasons. It is a very ordinary hotel. Nothing seems to have changed since I was there 23 years ago. I think that explains the rate which is on the low side. I hope they do something radical to this hotel to qualify it as a Four Seasons.

• Stayed January 2013
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent stay.
I would like to extend my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.
We pride ourselves with making children feel welcome with children amenities, and inter-connecting rooms and I would like to investigate this further. Unfortunately, this review has limited details of your reservation, therefore, may I ask you for some additional details so I can take a look at your reservation. Please email me directly to ensure your confidentiality.
We continually strive to improve the guest experience and I will personally follow up with these concerns.
Again, I am very sorry and am confident that this was an isolated experience that I will be able to prevent.
David Macklin
Hotel Manager
david.macklin@fourseasons.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

As you would expect for the money that you spend to stay here, the service is impeccable. The location is brilliant. We had a room with a harbour view, and as it was our first view of Australia, it had such an impact on us for the rest of our holiday. For me one of the highlights of the stay here was the bed, it was the most amazing bed I have ever slept on and after at 15 hour flight with no sleep, it was so welcome! We ate dinner at the woods restaurant and could not fault it in any way, the service was good, the food was amazing and when there was a mistake on our bill, it was corrected before we even had the chance to mention it. I have stayed in many hotels that class themselves as five star, but very few have the well trained staff that the four seasons have. Other hotels would really do well to find out about their training systems! I also used the treatment room whilst there and was so pleased with the service that I received as well as with the staff. I cannot fault the Four Seasons at all and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for the one with the harbour view, well worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just stayed at the Four Seasons Syndey in January 2013 on a business trip. This is my second stay at this hotel, and while it is still very good it is beginning to show some age. The location is excellent for tourists, as it is right at Circular Quay in the Rocks, close enough to walk to the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge. For business people doing meetings in the central business district it is a little bit off, but walkable in about 15 minutes. Service is great, and the morning breakfast buffet is very nice. Be sure to order delicious "flat white" coffee.

Unfortunately, the rooms are on the small side and could use a touch up. The air conditioning system in my room was not really working and made a ton of noise. The fitness center has old equipment in poor condition, with only 2 ellipticals (one of which was out of service). On one Monday morning the fitness center had no headseats. Another morning the water fridge was empty. Small things but noticeable, for a Four Seasons.

The rate was on the cheap side, especially compared to the Park Hyatt, which I hear is better but I have not yet tried it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I am not an expert on Sydney. I have only been here a few times (for work), but I think the Four Season will be my home there for now on. I liked the location, the views, and the atmosphere of the surrounding area. The staff is also terrific -- including their in-hotel and outside dinner suggestions as all were spot on!

Room Tip: I had a high floor, and it was nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed in a beautiful suite with amazing views of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge (particularly appreciated during our delicious room service breakfast) and enjoyed a wonderful dinner and very festive Christmas Day lunch. We would like to express our appreciation not only for the beautiful food and accompanying wines but also for the wonderful surroundings of The Grain Bar and The Woods restaurant and the warm, knowledgeable and attentive service we received from all of the staff. The Four Seasons 'experience' was a highlight of our holiday and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Corner suite with a beautiful view of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!