“Four Seasons Sydney-Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15-20% Off Room Rate!
Ranked #29 of 183 Hotels in Sydney
Columbia, SC
“Four Seasons Sydney-Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We found the best thing about our stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney was the location! We couldn't ask for a better spot in the city. Easy walking distance to all the city has to offer. We took a ferry to the beach, a bus tour, walked to the shopping district, Circular Quay, and the historic pubs. Quick walk to a show at the Opera House. Staff friendly and very professional. Enjoyed the lobby bar, concierge was very helpful in arranging our tickets and drivers. Spa was so-so....I had a massage and the therapist did a good job, but the room was anything but sound proof. Could hear people being escorted to their rooms and coming and going. Small waiting area in a hallway-not very relaxing and co-ed. Breakfast was delicious-but very pricey compared to my small appetite. Service in the pool area was adequate. I would definitely stay their again for the location alone, and the great staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on a corner that provided a beautiful view of the harbour and the Sydney Opera House.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I flew half way around the World and there is no Wizard to make everything magical at this Four Seasons in the land of Oz.

The service was gracious on check-in, but after first seeing the rooms I was disappointed. Very small rooms with lots of cookie-cutter one-size accommodations per floor. Old elevators with burnt out buttons. There are a few larger suites and a presidential.. We tried the second largest suite and deluxe room with adjoining during this stay and were unimpressed with finishing that felt more like Westin, Sheraton or Marriott than FS.

They are still doing the minimalist, contemporary asian thing that was the rage 5 years ago. The biggest thing for me were room layouts and sizes with lots of energy saving lightbulbs and other annoyances. I understand pitching in for the environment, but I lump these sad, depressing halogen replacements and site-made inoperable 2 pane windows in the same pile as shower aerators. You can't offer energy saving bulbs and in-operable glass at over $2000 USD per night. I want the warm honey glow of the energy wasting bulbs I grew up with and a breath of fresh air for that kind of money.

Room sizes and penny-pinching power saving aren't the only thing that sets this Four Seasons apart from it's better bred ilk outside the land of Oz. The room service staff fought us in a verbal tit-for-tat as we tried to order an omelet after 1pm. "I'd like an omelet please" .. "breakfast was over 50 minutes ago sir"... "Breakfast is over?" ... I rifle through the menu and order a substitute before seeing "all day eggs" on another page.. "But it says you have all day eggs?!?" ... "Well, I guess I could ask them to make a few of those eggs into an omelette".. What kind of Four Seasons is that!?

The whole thing felt like a decidedly un-special business-hotel in a touristy location.

It wasn't horrible.. It was just so ordinary - I would have hated to have come all the way around the World for this. Oh wait, I did!

Pool was really substandard and needs to be bigger and rebuilt. If I was Four Seasons I would sell this hotel and start over with some better bones, then charge more. Thought about going to the spa but cancelled because everything felt so Sheraton-like.

Within 3 days I was looking for my wife's Ruby slippers and knocking them together saying "I want to go home!~" Ok - enough with the Wizard-of-Oz analogies... You get the idea.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel in September, 2012 for 2 days. It was a Business trip. Hotel is located in the heart of Sydney. The view of Opra house is amazing from the window of the hotel. And right across the street you can catch the City sight seeing Tours bus and get a amazing tour of this beautiful city.Staff are friendly and the concierge team is very helpful in terms of giving information on which all execursion the city offers. very good hotel rooms a bit small but very cosy. over all a great hotel to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing towards Opera House. The view is amazing!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We recently stayed at this location and while it could use some updating it was a fairly typical city four seasons. The location is great for wandering around Circular Quay and its near some pretty decent restaurants.
The room is cozy but for two it is just fine. I did enjoy the breakfast every morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Great staff
Convenient location
Rooms a bit dated I thought and very dark
Spa bust
Pool quite nice
Hideous charges for everything. Wifi, parking, food, mini bar taking con to a new level

Verdict - the staff make it. Way better paces in Sydney for less

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We were really excited about this Hotel, especially after staying at the Singapore sister Hotel, however we checked in and didn't get the room we had booked. After some negotiation we did get the upgrade but on floor 10. We were returning again 11 days later and guess what? wrong room again.
The lifts were the slowest I have ever experienced and there is no atmosphere whatsoever.
We ate in the Restaurant and had a great meal but when we wanted to eat on Sunday- it was closed!! What??
I wrote to the customer services manager and the guy that helped me to thank them but didn't get a reply.
Four Seasons are off our list and we'll go to the Shangri La in future. Shame we were not treated as valued customers as this retains loyalty, they have lost mine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations, especially as you are a valued Four Seasons return guest.
I would like to apologize for the delay with the elevators during you stay in November as we were in the process of overhauling the elevators to improve the speed and efficiency.
Your candid feedback is extremely important to us as we continually strive to improve our hotel both physically and in service. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance or if you would like to pass on any more feedback.

David Macklin
Hotel Manager
david.macklin@fourseasons.com
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Four Seasons Sydney decor is a tad dated but beyond the decor are magnificent views of Sydney Harbour and the Opera House, well at least from our hotel room. The view does make up for the rather small room. The bed is luxuouriously comfortable with a nice range of amenities like a shoe shine service! Another plus is generous L'Occitane toiletries. Housekeeping is excellent. The little gestures such as serving complimentary lemonade and fresh fruit are very much appreciated. The staff are friendly and hospitable. The executive lounge is very good with a wide range of self serve beverage and canapés.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with harbour views and upper floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!