“Best location at the Rocks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15-20% Off Room Rate!
Ranked #29 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
“Best location at the Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was our first visit to Sydney and the 4 Seasons. Not disappointed in the service and easily had the best views of the harbor from our room and easy to get to the Bridge and Opera House. Right next to George Street where everything seems to happen. You on't be disappointed here.

Room Tip: Ask for Harbor View

2,306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The location is perfect right on Circular Quay. Staff are so helpful and the outdoor pool area is fantastic in the summer. We had 35 degree heat on the Saturday and being poolside enjoy a cocktail was the perfect place to be. Were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and were pleasantly suprised to receive a complimentary bottle of bubbly from the hotel. It's small gestures like that that really stick in your mind. Would definitely love to go back.

Room Tip: Would definitely pay a bit extra for the partial sea view, absolutely amazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

A quick stay of only 1 night. I was very impressed with the service. Room service good. Beds very comfortable. Harbour view not that exciting....More like Expressway view. Room was clean and bathroom well appointed. Hallways a little tired.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The challenge with being a Four Seasons hotel is meeting expectations of being just that...The Four Seasons. And this one in Sydney fell way short.

While my partner and I have no complaints about the room, I'm not sure it was worth over $500 for the night. I'd like to add that the air-conditioning was not working properly when we checked in but credit to maintenance, it was very promptly fixed.

Speaking of air-conditioning, we were attending an event with over 700 people at the ballroom so with hundreds of people streaming into and out of foyer and the entire group having tea and cakes at the end of the event, wouldn't it have been logical to have the air-conditioning on high? Not sure if it was even switched on because we were drenched with sweat by the end of the night.

The great surprise came in the F&B department. This hotel had 3 chances to impress and failed 3 times. To start, the restaurant called The Woods was still called Kables in the folder in the room so we went looking for Kables to be told The Woods was the only restaurant in the hotel. It was running quite full and we were short of time so we decided to go for a light and quick meal at the bar called The Grain. Nobody else was apparently having food there so presumably it would be quick. We both ordered the hanger steak, one with fries instead of kumara. 45 minutes later, our food still had not arrived despite the staff coming a few times to say it would be 5 minutes. It eventually arrived just as we wanted to cancel it because we had to go. For $29.50, it was more starter size, with about 5 slices of bite-size steak, about 5 pieces of fried kumara and an entire quarter head of iceberg lettuce that filled half the plate. Even if we accepted that the Four Seasons is "expected" to charge high prices, we can't accept that we never got the one with fries and the steaks were cold. Not hot, not warm... they were cold. Obviously we didn't have time to wait for it to be replaced so we ate and rushed off for our appointment. The bar did not charge us for the meal and that's great but it was the least we expected.

That same night about 5 hours later, we were hungry so we ordered room service. There was no answer so we called Reception to place our order. Very simply a club sandwich with fries to share. The sandwich was enough for one. The fries were hot and crunchy but it was obviously fried in old oil. That distinct smell and taste of something cooked in old oil is hard to miss.

The next morning was breakfast at The Woods. It was quite full. I went to the egg station, ordered an egg and was told to return in 5 minutes. I returned 4 times in 5 minute intervals but it was not ready each time. A young waitress offered to get it for me but she never came back. Eventually no less than 20 minutes later, it was sitting there at the station with my name on it. But I was already done with my hot breakfast by then.

At the buffet line when I was there, the bacon, scramble eggs, vegetable frittata, butter and orange juice had run out at different times and the 2 chefs behind the counter, 1 of them manning the egg station, were obviously struggling to keep up. Perhaps more staff back there would have helped? No wonder eggs took over 20 mins. Poor fella.

There was also curry chicken tucked away in a corner, presumably for the large Asian group at the hotel that day. Another big surprise. The chicken was burnt. We did not expect The Four Seasons to serve burnt chicken curry. Gordon Ramsey would have thrown it back and yelled obscenities.

And finally, at the fruit station, as I was reaching out to get some fruit, a grumpy staff cut right in front of me to organise the juice station and presumably refill the orange juice jugs. She was not 2 metres away, not a metre away… she was centimetres away, stuck her arm out right under my chin and shoved her way through what I call my personal space. She really took me by surprise. I had to back-off and walk around her to get back to my fruit plate. I expect a service staff anywhere, not just The Four Seasons to give way to their guests. It doesn’t matter to me that the restaurant was busy at breakfast because I have seen far busier breakfast rooms that was far better run.

My partner and I have travelled the world, stayed at some of the best hotels and some not so great hotels. I have not been motivated to write many reviews until this recent stay at the Four Seasons Sydney. Would we stay again? For that sort of value, probably not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner with a group of 16 people at "The Woods" restaurant in the hotel on the 10th of December and the service was the worst ever experienced at a restaurant. Although we booked for and arrived at 7pm, our starters was served at 8.37pm and the main course at 9.42pm. Some of the food was good however not special to go back for.

To end up paying $260 per couple was shocking and would not refer anyone to this venue. The restaurant gives the hotel a bad name.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
David M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Sias

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent dining experience.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the delay in service. As the restaurant had just opened, we had some teething issues that were immediately addressed. I would like to inform you that immediately after that day, we contacted your host of the evening as we want to personally follow up with all guests in your party.
I can assure you that the restaurant is now running very efficiently and has also receives several wonderful reviews. If you do return, I am certain that you will be impressed.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Sincerely
David Macklin
david.macklin@fourseasons.com
Ascot, Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

On a recent trip to Sydney, we stayed for 6 nights at this fine hotel and we were not disappointed. We particularly liked the ability to add club lounge access to our booking and I would highly recommend doing it given that you get access to the 32nd floor for quite a sumptuous breakfast - with a chef on hand to rustle up some eggs and other treats for you - as well as for drinks and nibbles from 5pm-8pm, which will set you up nicely for the evening.

We arrived in Sydney on a Sunday morning and despite checking in at 10am, our room was ready and we were able to get in it and get ourselves settled. Having flown a long way from Europe, this was a great touch on behalf of the hotel. We were up on the 25th floor and chose a harbour view room. Tip: do the same. After all, what is the point of staying in a hotel that looks over the harbour, the bridge and the opera house if you can't see it from your room?

The bed was super soft and extremely comfortable - so much so that I had trouble getting out of it many days. The bathroom was well appointed, complete with verbena toiletries from L'Occitane. While we never used the bath tub itself, it seemed like a bath would have been very luxurious indeed. But the power shower did the job every day and was very refreshing.

One day we chose to rent a car - here the concierge excelled themselves by taking care of everything for us. All we had to do was sign and collect the GPS and keys and we were off. The front of house staff were a delight, too.

We never ate in the restaurant itself nor the bar on the ground floor but instead chose to make use of the club lounge itself. My only niggle would have to be the swimming pool area. Despite it being summer when we visited and despite the hot sunny days and despite the fact that the hotel will tell you that it boasts the largest outdoor pool in Sydney, the fact that it is right next to a main road and subway line kind of kills the atmosphere. I understand that space is tight in the CBD, but we chose not to spend too much time at the pool given the noise of the traffic.

All in all, we loved the Four Seasons. The staff are impeccably dressed, super helpful, the room was lovely and the services and amenities just great. Next time you're down under in Sydney, treat yourself and stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a harbour view room, high floor, and add Club Lounge access to your rate.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This Hotel is charming, inviting and just Gorgeous. Its in a great location, where it is just a stroll to all the major shops, Circular Quay and great restaurants.
I have stayed in Sydney at numerous Hotels, but this one stands out.
Check in process was fast, our room was nice with a view of the harbour and Sydney opera house.
I found room service fantastic as the food was great.
The spa is great, I had a facial and felt so relaxed and refreshed. If I had time to use the pool and steam rooms, I don't think I would have left.
The hair salon downstairs has professional hair stylists who could tame and manage my hair. For once in a very long time, I walked out extremely happy with the blow dry style i asked for.

Room Tip: harbour view room is always a good choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!