“Wow, what a wonderful hotel! Location, room, service - all good!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Sydney

You added Four Seasons Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   199 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
20% Off Room Rate!
Ranked #25 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Gold Coast
“Wow, what a wonderful hotel! Location, room, service - all good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We were in Sydney for 5 days for a wedding and stayed in a City View Premier Room - it was quite a large room and beautifully furnished and equipped and very quiet. The room had a king bed and there was plenty of room for the rollaway bed for our son. There was a separate 2 seater lounge and coffee table, as well as a desk, a swivel office chair and another chair at the desk as well. We loved the room and had no complaints whatsoever - it was serviced twice a day and at the end of the first day, we arrived back at the room to find a lovely cold glass of milk (in a bowl of ice), a sipper straw, biscuit and some treats for our son. Was a lovely surprise and very special for him.

The location was excellent, just a short stroll from Circular Quay. It probably would take 10-15 mins to walk into the heart of the city but it would also be very easy to catch a train into Central Station if you didn't want to walk - the trains were frequent. It was just a short walk to cafes, a Starbucks, McDonalds and small grocery stores (and just a bit further to a Woolworths).

We found that the service at the hotel was excellent and would definitely stay here again. I would recommend that you ring a travel agent to get a quote as I found that we got a much better deal going through our travel agent than I could otherwise have got over the internet. The price we got was comparable to the price I had received from 4-star hotels in the area - we had friends staying at various locations around the city and I think that we had the best hotel and didn't pay much more (if any) for it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

For a recent one-week ad shoot in Sydney, I stayed at this location. Overall, the hotel is quite nice and the staff is extremely helpful. I was greeted by name and shown straight to my room the minute I arrived (no having to check-in).

I have heard that the average rooms here are quite small, I had a corner room and it was actually very large - with a separate dressing area and closet. The bed was fantastic and the TV was absolutely huge (~50 inches).

My only issue was that the hotel furnishing were actually a little tired. There were some pretty big scratches on the end tables and things just looked a little worn.

Bottom line though, the service at this hotel was fantastic, and if you could snag it at a great rate, go for it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We stayed at the Four Season's hotel in Sydney by Circular Quay. It was a beautiful property- comfortable beds, flat screen television, marvelous views of the city, spacious bathroom with L Occitane bath products. The staff was a little bit cold, but helpful- they provided me with maps of the city and suggested restaurants and pubs to visit. It was pricy, but then again Sydney is a very expensive city- I would say that it is 35% more expensive than New York CIty.
The hotel had a small but adequate gym and a small outside pool & jacuzzi. There weren't too many people while we were there, but it lounging space might be problematic during high season. I ate breakfast at their restaurant and the egg whites with asparagus was delicious. They provided adaptors for the electrical outlet and you could request converters.
While I waited for my room the front desk gave me access to WIFI in the lobby area. Once checked in I had to pay $29 per day for the service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

This was our second stay at the Four Seasons Sydney. Our first was 5 years ago and was better then our second. The hotel rooms have gotten worn and tired looking. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. Both rooms were on the smaller side. Our bathtub was well worn and stained. We asked housekeeping if they could try to clean what looked like dirt from the tub and we were told that it was just because the tub was old. There was nothing they could do. That didn't seem like four seasons service. Staying at this hotel felt far from staying at a traditional four seasons hotel. At best the hotel room, service, and food were average. Such a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I chose this hotel for my honeymoon, a quick 4 night trip to Sydney. It was the natural choice having stayed here some 2 years ago and been throughly impressed by the service and charm of the place. I booked and prepaid for the Harbour View room approximately 4 months prior to my stay. I couldn't wait to return!!!!!!!!!

On arrival there was a long line to check-in, not something I would expect from the Four Seasons. I told the gentlemen at reception that we were happy with a higher floor if available. We were registered to a room on the 18th floor. I was surprised he didn't congratulate us, as our booking stated we were on our honeymoon!

The room was nice enough, small but what I expected and the view was divine. What became obvious after about 1 hour was that the airconditioning was clearly not working properly. The room felt stuffy and I began to feel sick from the lack of ventilation. Of course there are no windows and you are on the 18th floor in a small space. It was rather unpleasant.

I informed reception who said maintenance would be sent immediately and my "room would be cold soon". I'm not sure if anyone actually came as I left for the evening. On my return, later that evening, the room was no better. No maintenance man could have been satisfied that the job was done and the aircon was fixed, The common areas of the hotel were clearly cooler and more comfortable than this stuffy room.

I complained in the morning to a woman on reception who failed to apologise or display any real interest in the matter. I told her I wanted to move rooms as the hotel had been given the opportunity to fix the issue and had failed.

After a few hours, I was moved to the 21st floor. Still the same room type and still no apology. What a pain it is to move rooms, but we wanted this sorted!

By this time I was pretty annoyed. I also noticed the hotel had charged my credit card to the tune of $35.58 (a strange amount) with no explanation. This made me wonder what else I'd been charged for that was incorrect.

I went to reception on the second day of my stay to request a copy of my account. A number of charges were unclear and reception had difficulty explaining them, eventually this was sorted by the Assistant Manager on duty.

I explained to the Assistant Manager how disappointed I was to find myself spending my honeymoon chasing up mistakes. Eventually after some reluctant and uncomfortable whinging, the manager agreed to discount my room rate by $50 for the first night. How big of them!!! In the meantime, there was a honeymooner next to me, also making a complaint, however he had received a room upgrade. Lucky him!!

Things went from bad to worse. On check out, there was a long line, they tried to charge me $55 for parking when I didn't have a car. When I disputed this, I got the, "Are you lying" look from the reception officer. They also couldn't find my husband's bag which was put in storage with the Bellman, containing valuable computer, lap top and camera. All of this, of course, unfolds while you're busily trying to get to the airport for a flight.

Room Service food was very average. My husband ordered some asian dishes which were really below par (An Indonesian Fried Rice) I suspect the hotel used to have a 'red hot' Japanese chef, as they used to offer a Japanese Bfast, which is now absent from the menu. A lot of people love good asian food and when done poorly at the cost of the customer, it is a real disappointment. Having said that, the room service, in room experience is really something when they get the food right...the view is amazing from most rooms a table is set up beautifully by the window. All of that amounts to disappointment though, if the food is lousy and overpriced!!!

Overall, you would only stay here for the view. But I will NEVER return. I only had 4 days for a honeymoon but staff managed to build that up into a comedy of errors which just wasn't funny at all. I didn't feel valued, important or appreciated as a guest. Disappointed is the understatement of the year. Yet, boy do they know how to charge!!!!!!!!

It is also disappointing to see that no Guest Relations Manager or the General Manager comments on these Trip Advisor reviews. There appears to be trends appearing. The "Four Seasons" name will only take you so far. I would never refer to this hotel as a Four Seasons, despite the title...it just isn't.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
FourSeasonsHotelSyd, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer:

It is with great regret that I read your review in which you described your most recent stay with us.
I sincerely apologize that your honeymoon was not memorable at all, and that we were unable to give you a great service experience.

I would appreciate if I would be able to connect with you directly.
Do send me your contact email address so that I can ensure a proper follow-up.

Sincerely

Australia
Email: vincent.hoogewijs@fourseasons.com
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

What can I say about this hotel? It really is gob-smackingly brilliant in every way.

Our room was on the 22nd floor, an interconnecting Premier Opera-View Room, so that our kids had a comfortable, spacious twin room next to our, also with *that* view...

We had a direct view of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. It must be one of the best views in the world, and is visible from wherever you are within the room. The room also had four comfortable seating areas (including a fun rotating circular round chair overlooking the harbour), a huge bathroom with separate bath and shower, a massive bed that was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in and acres and acres of space. It was HEAVEN!

The check-in process is a little laborious and the pool is quite small (but the kids loved it), but everything else is spot on, especially the location. We have friends in Manly so the proximity to the circular quay was a real bonus, and when we drove, the valet parking made all the difference.

We had Executive Club membership, which was really worth doing.

I will be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Check in was excellent. Although it was only 10am, I was sent off to the bar for a complimentary tea or coffee whilst my room was checked by a supervisor and I was in the room by 10.45am which was appreciated. Unfortunately I sat in the bar for the entire time and my tea did not arrive by the time I left. It took a long time for someone to take my order in the first place but at least 25 mins went by and no tea arrived!

I was happy when shown my room - quite small but clean and the bed was very comfortable. I liked the toiletries etc. Unfortunately my luggage took an hour to arrive in my room.

The look and feel of the hotel is quite dated but in most respects, but looks nice and has a glamourous touch. Common restrooms were pretty basic - not what I expected from a 5 star hotel.

We chose to eat breakfast at the Park Hyatt after inspecting the buffet. Just not to the standard I expect of international 5 star buffets... Park Hyatt was delightful BTW. The next morning we inspected the room service menu but decided to go across to Starbucks instead as it was very expensive and the choices limited. Coffee was $9.

We tried to have a pre dinner drink in the bar on Saturday night but waited 10 minutes for our orders to be taken and another 10 mins after that the waiter informed us that my cocktail could not be made so we left. I had informed the waitress upon ordering that we did not have much time. It was disappointing that the service was so poor as we have just had a trip to Bali and had a wonderful experience at Four Seasons hotels.

We had 2 room service snacks and they were fine. The location is fantastic! Check out was fine, although there was a long queue.

Would I stay again? Only if I could get a good price as I did this time. If I had paid normal prices I would've been quite annoyed I think.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!