“great location, but a little noisy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour

Save Saved
You added Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Sussex St., Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay + Save from $130 p/n
Ranked #47 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“great location, but a little noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

final hotel after a 3wk trip & intial impression & service was very good. Fast, efficient & very friendly staff making check in very easy. We stayed in a habour view room (5th floor) which was a little noisy at night with the traffic below. I would have assumed double glazing would have prevent that but obviously not! Also random noises in the night from either ventilation or water pipes which were annoying. These couple of items spoilt what was other wise a good hotel in a great location. the barman even made us a cocktail we asked for which wasnt on the list!
Overall , i would recommend & would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: narbour view rooms are good, but higher up as road noise below
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
FPSS, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear JT2805,

Thank you for your review shared on Tripadvisor. I am glad to learn that you were pleased with our great location and the service delivery of our associates. My sincere apologies for the noise which somewhat marred your stay. I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer for follow up on the ventilation and water pipes. Rest assured, we perform regular checks on our facilities to ensure they are in good working condition. Thank you for considering to stay again at our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour.

1,788 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room for a surprise getaway with my significant other for an overnight stay on a Saturday night. Upon booking, we were informed that check-in was 3pm ad we told them we expected to arrive at 4pm. We ended up arriving at 4:30 and were told our room wasn't ready, so we had to wait in the lobby for another 55 minutes for them to clean and prepare our room.

When we finally walked in the door of our room, we found it had been cleaned quite haphazardly and the aging decor was in poor repair. Wee tried to make the most of it and unpacked and ended up wearing thongs in the shower-over-bath because it was so grubby.

The room service food was overpriced (as most places are), but the quality was really lacking. We ordered a full breakfast for 2 people which cost us $70 and for that we received a slice of budget (non-rasher) bacon, toast, fruit (the best part of this meal), longlife orange juice and what tasted like powdered eggs. Not exactly gourmet.. Would have been much better off heading to a cafe on Darling Harbour for a $20 per person big breakfast.

We tried connecting to wi-fi, but there wasn't any and they didn't have a pool. I'm not sure how they earned a 4.5 star rating, because I har stayed in much nicer 3 star places that didn't cost anywhere near as much.

We stayed in one of the most expensive suites available and would have been disappointed if it was half the price.

I will never stay at the hotel again and if I overhear anyone talking about staying there in future, I will share with them my experience in the hope that they do themselves a favour and stay somewhere else. My weekend escape was ruined by Four Points by Sheraton and I hope nobody makes the same mistakes as me.

• Stayed December 2011
FPSS, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Ben D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us especially given that it was a special occasion. This is not the service that our guests are accustomed to and please accept our sincere apologies for the shortfalls and the inconvenience caused. I have taken your constructive feedback on board. We take guest feedback seriously and I have shared your comments with the concerned department heads for immediate follow up. Also, I have noted your remarks on your disappointment relating to your dining experience and have informed our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager. We do benchmark our dining prices in line with other Sydney CBD Hotels in the same category and endeavour to ensure our product is of high quality and up to standard. Please be assured we are continuously making improvements on our facilities and services to enhance our guest stay and a room refurbishment including wifi in guest rooms are part of our capital expenditure plan. We hope that your concerns on this occasion will not deter you from visiting us again and I ask if you could contact me directly so we may personally discuss your feedback and hopefully regain your confidence in our Hotel. Again, thank you and we hope to welcome you back to the Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour.

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Located on Darling Harbour, the Four Points has a great location but the rooms are not quite as nice as the location. I have stayed in other Sydney hotels in Central Business District (read my review on the Westin) including the Hilton, Westin, Four Seasons. Clearly when one stays at a Four Points, they should be expecting a slightly lower level of service and amenities than these other brands. However, I have stayed at other Four Points and although more “plain and simple” they are still very good properties.

The room we had was ok, and the bathroom had a slightly dated feel about it. There is no Wi-Fi in the room – something that should exist (in my opinion). The bed is reasonably comfortable.

A Taxi to the airport will run you approximately AU$35 to $40 and take about 25 minutes.

For those with SPG Platinum status, there are no amenities for the Platinum members – no lounge, no free breakfast, etc.

A OK hotel for an overnight stay or two, if you are looking for more comfort and the Westin or Hilton are only 0% -25% more expensive than the Four Points, I would recommend those hotels over the Four Points, unless you really want this specific location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear ordflyer,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to know that you were pleased with our great location and I note your constructive comments. Please be assured that we are committed to continuously reviewing and making improvements on our services and facilities, including a wifi review and a room refurbishment is part of our capital expenditure plan. We provide wifi in our hotel lobby and the Business Centre and do understand how essential this is for our guests. As for our SPG guests, we do value their patronage and loyalty and provide recognition wherever possible. Thank you for the gift of feedback and hope we can welcome you again to our hotel.

Tamworth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights in December while I was attending a conference in Sydney.
It was a very convenient location. I had a city view room - work was paying so went for the cheaper option! It was a little disconcerting to see how close the workers appeared in the offices across the road - make sure the curtains are drawn!!
My room was a long trek from the lifts, but it was quite adequate for my needs. Nothing to distinguish it from lot of other places I've stayed - could have been anywhere.
I didn't try the dining facilities as these were part of my conference, but they looked interesting, especially the old Corn Exchange.
I understand they don't have wi-fi in the rooms, but I always use my own so this was not a problem.
Staff were very helpful and friendly and cabs were always on hand.
Very handy for the shops, Darling Harbour and Chinatown.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear morewindOZ,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad to know that you were happy with our convenient location and the service delivery of our associates. We are continuously making improvements on our product and facilities to enhance our guest stay and a room refurbishment including wifi is part of our capital expenditure plan. We hope you will have the opportunity to try our dining outlets next time you’re in Sydney. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

After reading the revues on trip advisor we were not totally sure what to expect but since the majority indicated it was a good place to try we decided to try it. The room cost was very welcome, well within reason especially since we were visiting over the Christmas/New Years holiday and the rates in most hotels were just WAY out of our reach. So this hotel proved to be well worth the money, quite comfortable, large firm bed which we love, grew view, request harbor view for sure. Also the room was a good size, didn't feel cramped at all. Certainly you can stay in much fancier (highly expensive) hotels but this is a great value and a nice place to stay for sure. Also well within walking distance of China town and fantastic food at the Golden Century.
We only ate breakfast but the buffet was good for sure, we didn't try dinner or any other meals so can't comment. We would recommend this hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Choose a harbor view, worth it Darlin Harbor and the bridge going to the shops is a great view espec...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Decided to follow through on staying in the middle of our own home city for a few days over the Christmas/New Year break. Four Points is in an excellent position close to Darling Harbour, King St Wharf & Ferries, Chinatown, entertainment, tours and a short walk to Circular Quay and The Rocks. Hotel was beautiful and well appointed. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Noise transference from next room (showers) was annoying but didn't really disturb us. Take ear...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
FPSS, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear RhondaSydney,

Thank you for your favourable comments shared on Tripadvisor. I appreciate the kind words you mentioned on our hotel and hope were able to able to take advantage of our great location during your stay. We are fortunate indeed to have one of the best spots in Sydney! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed on and off here for five or so years- mainly when I lived in Sydney and wanted a place to stay after seeing a show without the hassles of driving, parking and driving home.

Mind you, I've always regarded it as a "convention hotel".

This trip was to be special: "mother-daughter time" together, at the sales, visit the new Westfield, the re-vamped Pitt Street Mall and visit Jamie Oliver's new restaurant and those in the re-vamped Star Casino before daughter left for work abroad.

Check-in. Wonderful. Friendly and delightful. Parking: do it yourself across the road at extra cost (complicated if one wants to extend stay). *Not* acceptable. Obvious this is a "car less" convention hotel.

I'm a member of the Sheraton chain. Room upgraded (nice one).

Room: large but the doors separating living space from sleeping space are broken and remain so for our stay. Ditto bed side lamps despite repeated calls to house keeping.

Bathroom and dressing room spacious.

View of ANZAC Bridge does not qualify as a "Harbour room" in my opinion.

Non-opening windows for obvious reasons. Air con freezing. Without, stifling.

Fridge not up to keeping David Jones' goodies chilled (surprise!).

Buffet breakfast was included in our "deal". Bain marie's don't do it for me. Skipped it and went elsewhere (Chinatown).

Wanted a club sandwich and salad or similar to share for lunch. No luck. Went elsewhere.

Ordered steak (as I've done each visit) for room service dinner. Knew from previous experience, to order a steak knife (and I have my steak "blue"). No steak knife provided. Steak served medium-rare and impossible to cut with a regular knife.

Disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear bronte4 ,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear of your overall disappointment with your stay and apologise most sincerely for failing to meet your expectations. I have taken your comments on board and will ensure that the relevant department heads are made aware for immediate follow up. We perform regular checks on our guest rooms and I am sorry that the room you occupied was not up to standard during your stay. I have also shared your remarks concerning your dining experience with our Food & Beverage Manager. On the other hand, I am pleased to know that your check-in went well. Again, thanks for your gift of feedback. I hope that your disappointment on this occasion will not deter you from visiting us again. Do let me know when you are back in Sydney and wish to stay with us so I can ensure your stay is a pleasant and enjoyable one.

Hotel Manager

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour? Share your experiences!