“So good I'm returning in 2 weeks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Sydney Central

You added Novotel Sydney Central to your Saves list
Novotel Sydney Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   169-179 Thomas Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Citigate Central Sydney)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #81 of 184 Hotels in Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Before booking this hotel I read the reviews here, and was in two minds as to what I was to get.

My stay ended up being excellent. Best sleep I've had in a long time. Beds were surprisingly comfortable. Breakfasts were good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Novotel_Syd_Central, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Frade,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to write your feedback.

It is pleasing to read that we ticked all the boxes to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

We look forward to welcome you back at Novotel Sydney Central in the near future.

Yours Faithfully,

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed one night on a business trip. This hotel is very central with plenty of close restaurants, supermarkets, and central station just a walk away. Probably more of a tourist hotel than a business hotel, with lots of families and international visitors.

Downsides: it took ages to check in and it wasn't even busy. The lady at the desk left mid-checkin, no explanation, to do something in the office. Checkout was even worse. One person on checking in people with multiple requests, no help despite other office staff wandering in and out of the office; ultimately took almost twenty minutes to check out, including the time waiting in line. It just shouldn't be that hard.

The room was clean (apart from the splotches on the carpet) but really tired looking with a bad paint job and dodgy curtains that didn't completely cover the windows - thankfully I'd taken a sleeping mask - not just morning light but the high rise across the road that was lit up all night. Also no privacy with the curtains open - they need sheer curtains as well. The bathroom was clean but small and very poorly lit - much like the whole room - and just to be picky, the soap smelled so strong I couldn't use it and stuck with the shower gel.

Noise was the other big problem - I don't expect silence in a hotel, but this was just far too noisy. I was on the 9th floor overlooking the recreation area with the pool and there was no buffering from the sound at all. People used the area until well after 11pm, so it was hard to sleep or even to watch the TV whilst waiting for the sound to die down. You could also hear every slamming door, talking and TVs from surrounding rooms, including above and below.

Beds were comfortable and breakfast was very nice, although the coffee wasn't much chop at $3 a cup (and it was supposed to be included with the room price, but apparently wasn't and we had to pay separately). The restaurant staff were lovely and helpful.

Not the worst hotel around but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Novotel_Syd_Central, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Julia,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Novotel Sydney Central. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Our hotel rooms are undergoing a refresh which will be focusing on the areas we have identified as dated. This includes the carpet, the bathrooms and the desk/minibar cupboards. We are also replacing our hotel air conditioning unit which is major works planned for later this year. I apologise that all these changes have not been completed prior to your stay with us. I can assure you we are committed to addressing these issues to improve our guests experience here at Novotel Sydney Central.
I hope that you will accept our apology and if you do need to stay in Sydney in the future I hope you can consider us again.
Yours Faithfully,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Excellent location, next to Central train station and George Street, close to shopping and Darling Harbour attractions, comfortable stay, old hotel but recently renovated, just one drawback, it has stairs from side walk to hotel lobby level, makes it tough to carry bags

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Mukul,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your stay.

It is a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks and our team is always very proud to be able to make the guest experience a memorable one.
It is also pleasing to read that you enjoyed the hotel's central location and its close proximity to various attractions and services.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Sydney.

Kind Regards,

Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I booked the twin queen with the balcony as I was staying with a friend, and I confirmed this room the night before our arrival. Once we arrived, I was told we were upgraded to the superior king and I when I asked to stay in my original room they claim to not have one available?? We ended up staying in a twin queen without a balcony.. They gave us a free breakfast for the stuff around... It seems to be a common trend where they have trouble with organising the correct room!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Novotel_Syd_Central, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Devil Child,

Thank you for your comments. I am disappointed to see that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. We promise each of our guests exceptional service, and we understand that we were unable to provide this to you. The Front Office Manager and myself are currently taking appropriate actions to avoid this scenario.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Yours Faithfully

new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 5 nights at the novotel central hotel. After a rocky start in which we were sent to a partner hotel as it was over booked, we were more than happy with the complimentry breakfast an late check out that was given to us on our last day. As for the hotel itself you will find it has everything you want. Breakfast was great, providing a good range in all european food. $22-$26. Our room was nice, quite a small bathroom but it was fine. We were given a road side room, unfortunatly there is construction happening across the street. So if you are planning to spend time in your room during the day ask for one away from them. The hotel is in a great spot to explore sydney. Right next to china town and paddys market which we loved. Central train station is also very close so moving around is not a problem. The staff were really accommodating and really nice. The Hotel is getting a little tired in places but to be honest it never effected the quality in our stay. If we return to Sydney we wil definatly stay here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Novotel_Syd_Central, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Kiwi4u,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the construction work accross the road, this construction site is reaching its final stage as the completion is due for late March 2014. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Danesh Bamji

Been to Novotel Sydney Central? Share your experiences!