“Noisy rooms, don't waste your time to complain” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Sydney Central

You added Novotel Sydney Central to your Saves list
Novotel Sydney Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   169-179 Thomas Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Citigate Central Sydney)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #81 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Vancouver, Canada
“Noisy rooms, don't waste your time to complain”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was assigned to room 1820 at the 18th floor. Even before I put down my luggage, I found the room is very noisy -- the fun in the washroom creates load noise continuously. I called the reception and also talked to the receptionist before I went out for my late dinner. They promised to fix it.

I came back and asked the receptionist whether the problem was fixed. He is honest, telling me that the building is too old and most of the rooms have the problem of noise. The staff who just checked my room was there, and confirmed that the room was noisy and the noise was caused by the fan in the washroom.

Surprisingly, the receptionist told me that they cannot do anything to fix the problem. The hotel is full, they cannot move me to another room. No, absolutely they cannot do anything. I have to stay with the room.

I am now writing this review in the noisy room. After realizing that I have to spend tonight in this room, I found that the basin was glued from a few broken pieces -- I have not seen any hotel washroom as ugly as this one!

That is enough. If you want a room that can be called a hotel room, stay away from this hotel. No, complaining to the staffs there is just wasting your time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of being refurbished so parts of the hotel are new and modern and parts are tired and old, but once the refurbishment is completed it will be a great choice for family accommodation. The location is great, within a couple of minutes walk to the Entertainment Centre and the Capitol Theatre. There is a parking building right next door with reasonable rates, or in our case parking was included in the package. We were allowed to leave our car in the parking building the day of our check out at no additional charge which was great. The kids loved the pool and spa, it is a nice set up. When we went to the pool there were quite a few people there and the towel rack was empty so I rang through to reception and towels were brought up straight away. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a gym which had a good range of equipment, towels and water. The room was large with two double beds and although the bathroom was very tired looking and is yet to be updated it was spacious, clean and functional.

I will definitely stay here again and look forward to the refurbishment being completed, when I am sure I will give the hotel a higher rating.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room if possible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a king room with view, for two periods, each of 3 nights. It was large and clean. We had no complaints, staff were friendly and helpful. There are some renovations happening so don't expect to sleep past about 8.00am but that was no problem fro us as were typical tourists and were up and about early. I utilised a 40% off offer so the room was great value. Chinatown and proximity to Central Station worked well fro us. Would recommend this hotel highly. The Cassidys of Perth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

very Clean ,Convenient location,Comfortable beds ,Excellent parking,
Very friendly staff ,This the best novotel hotel ,
Even The Pool was great the kids loved it .The amenities in the room were great ,tea and coffee facilities and also an iron and ironing board great .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Citigate_Central_Syd, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear paloone,

Thank you for the kind words about our property. If you liked us recently - wait till you visit us next as we are mid-way through an extensive refurbishment program.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again in the future.

Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel as part of a Theatre package. We were very excited as its listed as a 5 star hotel but extremely dissapointed with the room. It was spacious with a hugh comfortable bed but had a very dirty feeling to it.

There was an odd smell to the room, large stains all over the carpet, mouldy corners in the bathroom, a couple of cigarette burns on the furniture and the air conditioning was less than adequate.

It maybe listed as a 5 star hotel but this room (perhaps because it was part of a package) was a 2 star room.

PS To the high-heel wearing ladies - advertised as being close, its way too far to walk in heels to Darling Harbour - pack your flatties

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rykerh,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us.

We are sorry for the disappointment you may have experienced with us on your last stay. We are in the middle of a refurbishment program including new, bedding, bathrooms, guest rooms and lobby, however, this should have no impact on the standard of our existing rooms.

I am aware we did not live up to expectation on your last stay however, if you are planning to visit Sydney again in the near future, i urge you to contact me directly and allow me the opportunity to personally welcome you back to I trust will be a most enjoyable visit.

Vincentia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked for the location & price. Located a short walk down to Market City & China Town, close to Darling Harbour. King room with veranda $180. Room was dated & showing signs of repair. When I booked I thought they said it has been re-furbished, I must of heard wrong, they start the work in June 2013. Very nice staff & helpful. Car park next door $23 approx. Felt safe & secure.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade ..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra H,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I can confirm the refurbishment program has commenced and is looking fantastic. The car park facilities is also managed by the hotel and is a part of the property hence we are in the unique position to provide our guests with up to 600 affordable CBD parking spaces.

We hope to see you again in the future,

Penrith, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Citigate changed to Novotel 3 weeks prior to my stay. At approx 11pm fire alarm went off for 15mins. Next morning There was loud construction in the floor above me from 815am. The whole point of staying there for the night was a place to get extra sleep rather than travelling home and back the next day. Fairly disappointed in the stay. Upside staff seemed pleasant enough - no compensation at all for the noise though - sorry for terrible sentences - typing on iPad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pytheus,

We are sorry for the disappointment you may have experienced with us on your last stay. We are in the middle of a refurbishment program including new bathrooms, guest rooms and lobby however this is not supposed to have any inconvenient impact on our in house guests. I will contact our construction partners today to pass on your feedback.

In relation to the fire alarm you had experienced, i have investigated this and it was a false alarm triggered accidently - the relevant authorities did attend however gave us the all clear immediately after the incident .

I am aware your stay was not perfect, hence, if you are planning to visit Sydney again in the future, i urge you to contact me directly and allow me to personally welcome you back and ensure your next stay is of the highest quality in service and product.

Thank you for taking the time to write about us.

Danesh Bamji

Been to Novotel Sydney Central? Share your experiences!