We wanted to celebrate our Anniversary with a night away ...no babysitters so took our 3 kids (ages 4,3 and 8 months!)
I have wanted to stay at Shangri-La for years and I was very happy with our night away.
We had a corner harbour view suite and the views are exceptional. The room was very well appointed and the bed extremely comfortable. There was a huge marble bathroom (with ample room for the baby's portacot!) . There was also an extra toilet off the main entrance which is a nice touch.
Because of the suite, we were automatically given access to the Horizon Lounge on level 30. Good breakfast up there, as well as canapes and drinks. The staff, especially on the Horizon level were very friendly & great with our kids. We actually had breakfast downstairs in Cafe Mix which was a pretty good breakfast - it is great that they have a chef to cook everyone's eggs just as they like them.
The pool is lovely, nothing fancy but well heated and with a spa.
Things that could be improved:
1. the Shangri-la number that I called to make the reservation: the woman on the other end of the phone while very helpful had an inferior grasp of the English language. This made the booking process quite frustrating. In the end, she still got my email address wrong despite dictating it multiple times to her and I had to call the following day to get this rectified when no confirmation email arrived. The next day, there was another woman on line who was no better at English. I think an international hotel needs to think about hiring those more proficient at English - it was hard enough for a native speaker to understand what was being said.
2. I rang down to concierge to inform them I had a friend coming to the hotel and to enquire what the procedure was to get them access to our floor. The response of the concierge bordered on rude and patronising ( i think he was busy, but no excuse). He said, "there are SO many people in the lobby and over 3 different desks. There is no way we know who YOUR friend is." ...blah blah in a very impatient tone & he missed the point of what I was asking.
But overall, a lovely stay. It is a massive hotel, so you don't go for the boutique feel, but we had a lot of fun and the staff were generally lovely and very accommodating. We would go again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney is perfectly positioned between the iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge in the historic Rocks district. Within walking distance of the city's major shopping venues and tourist attractions, the hotel offers panoramic views of Sydney Harbour. A wide selection of dining options including Australian cuisine at award winning Altitude Restaurant, Mix and Grill in the all day dining restaurant Café Mix and fabulous cocktails at the glamorous Blu Bar on 36. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri La Sydney
- Shangri La Hotel Sydney