“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #17 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Newcastle
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

For our anniversary, my husband and I bought tickets to the theatre and we thought we would treat ourselves to a 5 star experience at the Shangri La Hotel . We decided on the Darling Harbour room where we were looking forward to "Enjoy panoramic views over Millers Point, Darling Harbour, Walsh and Lavender Bays and west through to the Blue Mountains." However the view from our room was very different to this and it was definately not worth the over $400 price tag. For a hotel that promotes its views as an asset I was extremely disappointed and the view we saw could be seen from any hotel along any freeway. We kept the curtains closed to actually block it out. I definately don't feel that this room was value for money and there are other hotels that are cheaper with better views.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
To the author,
I thank you for your review and please allow me to firstly congratulate you on your anniversary.
I would like to apologise for the less that memorable view from your room during your stay with us. At any time when a guest is unhappy with their room, whether it be the view, bedding configuration, position etc., we are always more than happy to assist with offering an alternative room to make your stay more enjoyable. I would hope in this instance, you may have approached reception to request an alternative room, however if one was not available due to high occupancy, alternative solutions may be offered. Should you wish to return to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may assist.
I do hope one day to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney so you may experience true Shangri-La Hospitality.

2,913 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kalamunda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We loved the room on the 28th floor with the most fantastic view over the Harbour. Sitting on the window seat early one morning, we watched as a large cruise ship passed the Opera House and sailed under the Bridge.
The staff were all very polite and helpful, even the housekeeping staff we passed in the corridor on our way out each morning,greeted us and wished us a pleasant day. We had dinner at the Altitude restaurant and were impressed by the food and the service. I would advise making a reservation if you want to eat here, we hadn't but were lucky to get the last table. I was very impressed by our waiter and do wish I could remember his name for a special mention as he was most attentive but not obtrusive. It was a great evening.
The service at breakfast was not as good. It was small things like plates not being cleared, running out of fresh mushrooms for omelettes, waiting ages for butter to come from somewhere and also for coffee refills!
The location in the historic Rocks district makes it very convenient for Circular Key, bars, restaurantsand shopping but it is hilly with lots of steps to negotiate. No problem for us, it compensated for the extra kilojoules consumed, but it could be for those less active/mobile.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
makuva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

The hotel is very nice and in a very good location (although it is extremely difficult to get to the first time both walking and driving but you eventually find your way). The bar on the top of the hotel has great views and fun (but super expensive) mixed drinks.

All of the good memories of this hotel though were completely overshadowed by the outrageous parking bill we received upon check out. We had rented a car for the few days we were in town to go visit the Blue Mountains and take other day trips. I know valet parking at hotels is expensive but over $40US a day is OUTRAGEOUS! Plus the girl at the check out could point to nowhere that this rate was stated in writing, leading me to believe she could have made it up on the spot. I don't know what other hotels in Sydney charge for parking but to me this was over the top.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney. I certainly do appreciate your positive comments about our location and top floor cocktail lounge - Blu Bar on 36.
I would like to apologise however if your fantastic stay with us was somehow soured by our overnight carparking charges. Our overnight carparking fee is mentioned on our website and is competitively priced with other 5 star hotels located in the Sydney CBD.
I do hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to one day welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
Madison Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed in a Horizon Club room for one night prior to a cruise from Sydney. I have stayed in Asian Shangri-la hotels, and I must agree that the Sydney location is not as fancy as some. However, this is one of the most comfortable hotels I've ever encountered. It is luxurious where it matters, but not stuffy and intrusive. Our room was large, and the view was to die for. Yes, there was a flat screen TV, but we never used it, as the views were far more interesting. The bathroom was very large with tub and separate shower, and no amenity had been overlooked. Toiletries were l'Occitane, my favorite, and plentiful. The Horizon Club lounge is worth the few extra dollars, as it offers a wonderful buffet breakfast in a quiet atmosphere overlooking the harbor and Opera House. Snacks are plentiful and available all day. We had requested an arrival pickup from the airport, and the chauffeur arrived on time in a BMW. The staff are 100% efficient and professional, and I would surely stay at this hotel again. The only difficulty we had was finding the entrance after walking around the Circular Quay. The hotel is very near but, somehow, hard to find once you leave the Quay. It is an uphill walk, but I think we would have found an easier route if we had stayed longer. We are not big spenders when we travel, but the Shangri-la is worth splurging on because it offers value and comfort, not just a fancy lobby and and sign out front.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 5, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their wonderful review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney. I certainly do appreciate your positive comments about our rooms, views and most importantly our staff - which are some of the hotels best assets.
Thank you also for the words on our Horizon Club - our executive lounge located on the 30th floor of the hotel - I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff and management.
While the hotels location ontop of a hill can be hard to manage at time, there is an easier access route through the adjoining buildings and via elevators. This location however, ontop of the Rocks area, does allow our guests the best possible views of Sydney, the Harbour and major landmarks such as The Sydney Opera House and The Sydney Harbour Bridge.
I do hope your cruise was as enjoyable as your stay here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

The Shangri-La is an amazing hotel with great staff. The location in Sydney is excellent: great views and lots of things to do in the neighbourhood! I can recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to relax, be in the heart of Sydney and dont mind to pay a little extra.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 25, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their fantastic review of the hotel.
I was very pleased to read our hotel, location, views and especially our staff all met your expectations and thank you also for your recommendation to other travellers.
I do hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney sometime in the near future
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

Offers a magnificent view of the city! Cocktails are pricey at $20 a piece, but the location makes it worth the money!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 22, 2009
Many thanks to the author for their review of our Blu Bar on level 36. While our cocktails are competitively priced, I will certainly pass on your comments to our Director of Food & Beverage for their review.
I was pleased to read your felt the view & experience made the price worth it for you and look forward to welcoming you back to Blu Bar as well as Shangri-La Hotel Sydney.
Ashley Hunt
billinge,england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I have stayed in three other Shangri La hotels. Vancouver,Singapore and Kowloon. All are 5 star rated and deservedly so. But, the Shangri La in Sydney was a real let down.
Firstly it does not have the feel of the others that I have stayed in. The hotel lobby looks like you have wandered into a Holiday Inn. To be fair, I could accept that if everything else was to 5 star expectation. Unfortunatly the hotel looks very tired and is in desperate need of refurbishment. The same has to be said of the rooms. Shabby fixtures and fittings and an old box type tv are not in my opinion up to the mark.
The bars and restaurants also leave much to be desired. We came back to the hotel one evening and thought we would have a nightcap in the bar on the 36th floor and enjoy the view of the harbour. I thought that there was a problem with the elevator because we could not get it to access to the required floor. Upon enquiring, we were told that the bar was now closed. It was 10.30 pm. I asked what time did it normaly close, to be told if the lift wont take you there, thats how you know it is shut. So where is the residents bar then I asked ?.There wasent one, came the answer. Only room service.
The next morning I had already decided that I would not be coming back to this hotel. But with a full working day ahead we thought it would be a good idea to have a meeting over breakfast at the restaurant on the 2nd floor. Upon entering the room I thought this is nice enough. However, as we turned the corner, to my astonishnent I could see that all the guests had been herded into one small area. It reminded me of Pontins. The breakfast was a choice of continental buffet or full breakfast buffet including make your own toast. The final 5 star service was when I asked for more milk the waitress went over to a table that a guest had just left and put the half empty jug of milk from his table onto ours.
I think all the above is acceptable if your paying £75.00 a night, but not if its over £400.00
Just very poor compared to the other hotels in this chain.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
FOMSYD, Front Office Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 28, 2009
To the author of this review,
I thank the author for their honest and candid review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney. While thankful you are choosing to stay in Shangri-La Hotel & Resort properties when travelling, I would like to express my disappointment that you did not find Shangri-La Hotel Sydney on par with some of our newer properties.
Regarding our rooms and lobby, we have a constant preventative maintenance program in place so as to ensure our rooms, the largest of all the 5 star hotels in Sydney CBD, & public areas, are kept up to standard as enforced by our brand & vision.
Early next year we will begin the installation of HD LCD televisions in all of our guest rooms as currently in our Horizon Club rooms.
I have passed on your comments regarding our restaurant & bars to our Director of Food & Beverage for their information & action. In mid September this year we opened our refurbished Cafe Mix restaurant and our one hat (SMH Good Food Guide 2009) restaurant Altitude on the top floor of the hotel offers amazing views of Sydney. Our Blu Bar on 36, also on the top floor, is open every day from 5:30pm, usually until late, however I do apologise on the occasion you visited the bar that it was closed. In such instance, our concierge team is more than happy to assist and recommend alternative bars in the local area - and if required, organise and book an area or table for you.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.
I do hope to one day welcome you back to the hotel so you may have a true Shangri-La Experience in Sydney.
Front Office Manager

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!