“Bad checkin experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #20 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Bad checkin experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had the worst checkin experience at the Shangri-La. We checked in well after the 3pm checkin time and had to wait over an hour for our room. The rest of the experience was very good but started badly

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,076)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tarp, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Spacious room and bath, very clean, photos on homepage give a good impression.
Quiet room, every day new spring water (1bottle per person).
Had breakfast with our arrangement: one of the best buffet breakfat I ever had.
On Arrival they offered us to have both rooms twin beds (booking was 1 king and 1 twin room) and new room should be ready soon. Actually the room was even after 7 hours not ready. Good Troubleshooting by front desk: Gave us an other twin on a different floor within 15 min uand arranged baggage Transfer.
Enjoyed minivan tranfer from and to airport arranged by concierge, too.

Room Tip: Had Harbour Bridge / Opera / Circular Quay View, for tourists highly recommended
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Puerto Varas, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Nice, sober, great attention, clean, great room, comfortable bed, excellent location just minutes walking to the Opera house, Isolated from outside noise, good food. I was lucky with the view also. Is an excellent option in Sydney.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I went here with my partner last year and I have to say from the minute i walked into the reception you can tell its a very classy hotel. All staff where amazing & well mannered. We had a good few cocktails on the 36 floor, Blu Bar. Slightly pricey, however the view & staff compromised the value.

Would recommend to all as its an amazing experience and well worth doing!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

The first thing you see checking into the room is the amazing view! So of course that would never let you down. Our room was serviced everyday perfect. I could not fault. Having a small child we didn't want to disrupt too many guests, but they made us feel very welcome on our arrival.
The service is amazing!! Could not fault one bit. Everything we asked for we received straight away!
We ordered our son room service and she had explained it would be 30minutes, 15 minutes later she had turned up! It was so fast!

Thank you to the wonderful team here!

• Stayed July 2014
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have stayed at many Shangri-la Hotels in Asia, but this was our first stay in the Sydney property. Unfortunately, this property is nowhere near the standard of its Asian counterparts.

The good:
Great location for the iconic landmarks in Sydney;
Very friendly and helpful staff;
Views are magnificent;
Comfortable rooms.

The bad:
The Horizon Club is oversold. It is small and uncomfortable. Food offerings are small in number and poor in quality. Food ran out very quickly and they were very slow to replace it, particularly during the afternoon tea session. The staff did not cope with the numbers in the club and the set out of the food station resulted in guests lining up beind each other in a very cramped space. Not at all pleasurable.

Breakfast in the Café Mix was a shemozzle. OMG, I have never experienced anything like it. Way too many people for the number of staff. Service was inconsistent. Buffet style of standard fare is served - nothing special. Couldn't wait to get out of there. On the Saturday morning there was a cue a mile long waiting for a table. To accommodate guests on the Sunday morning, they had to open up one of the adjoining banquet rooms and set up another buffet station in the public area outside the restaurant.

We booked our room on the Chi Spa Package. We called a week before our arrival to make bookings but they could only offer ridiculous times like 10.00 am in the morning or 8.00 pm at night. No afternoon times available during our 3 day stay. Consequently we couldn't use our Spa credits included in our Package. I relayed the issue to the staff person at the Horizon Club at check-out. Her response was let me know it was a wonderful spa and we must come back to try it!!!

The ugly:
Upon arriving back home, I realised I left a Ralph Lauren polo shirt behind, hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I called the hotel and the person I spoke with said she would check with all staff who entered the room during our stay. I explained that wasn't necessary as they only needed to check with the staff who cleaned our room after our departure. Two follow up phone calls and told the same 'we're investigating response'. On both occasions, I was told someone would call me back - no one has called back after nearly a month.
On the Saturday night we returned to our room (around 8.00 pm) and as the lifts opened on our floor, there was a woman lying on the floor screaming profanities at a man as he was screaming similar profanities at her. She was screaming about why he wouldn't #$%^ her! Not great for our kids to see and hear. They were that loud we could hear it after we entered our room. I ended up calling Security.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the harbour bridge view rooms. The "City/Opera House" views are on the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a night last weekend. After few days I found that they have taken out 18 dollars from my credit card without informing me, so raised the issue with them. They actually charged me for Lemonde which I never used. But they trusted me and refunded me back the money. Other wise hotel and its service was good.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!