“Exquisite Weekend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #19 of 183 Hotels in Sydney
Woongarrah NSW
“Exquisite Weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We spent a magnificent weekend at this hotel in July to celebrate a milestone birthday. We had earlier gone in to the hotel to view rooms to get an idea of the room and view we would like to mark this occasion. The service we experienced was exceptional and we booked it in straight away. On arrival at the hotel there was a queue to check in. Lorraine from Guest Relations came and got us out of the queue to help us with our check in. She was wonderful and made us feel very welcome and important. It was earlier than the usual check in, yet she told us the room was ready and we could go and check it out before we went off to do the Bridge Climb that day. We got the corner deluxe harbour view room on the 29th level. Room number 2913 on the Sydney Package. What an exquisite room with a view to die for all encompassing the bridge, Opera House and Circular Quay. When we arrived back to the room after our climb there was fruit, chocolates and a very special dessert to mark the occasion. Lorraine has organised all of this after she found out about the occasion. The room was super spacious and comfortable . It had a king sized bed, seating around the panoramic windows with a spot for a glass of wine. There was a desk, lounge, TV, ample mini bar and a lovely marble bathroom. We could not fault the room or service. Breakfast in the morning (Included with Sydney package) was wonderful, again with emphasis on service. A great hotel if you are doing the Bridge Climb like us, as it is just a short 6 minute stroll down the road. The close proximity to meander through The Rocks is also a benefit. You definitely get what you pay for. We can not wait to go back!

Room Tip: Corner suite with the views are well worth the extra money, with view of both the Harbour Bridge and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Swan Hill, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

What can i say, fantastic service, staff very accomidating and helpfull, My room was not ready upon checking but the staff found me one so i could change and attend my 12 oclock meeting, rooms sensational.
A short trip from the Airport, and centrally located in Sydney.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed in a Grand. Harbour view room on level 17, we had fantastic views of the Opera house and the Bridge. The Grand Harbour view rooms are slightly larger than the deluxe opera or city view rooms. The bench seat window was great to sit and have a coffee to take in all the happening of Circular Quay and the Harbour. The room furnishings were lovely and the marble bathroom with full bath was fantastic. Hotel facilities pool, spa, bar, lounge and the sky bar are all great. The hotel is situated in The Rocks area so easy to get around by exploring the lane ways and the many steps. Hotel staff were very welcoming and helpful.

Room Tip: Grand harbour view will give you a view of both Opera house and Bridge, opera house and circular qua...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Excellent views of the Opera House and Circular Quay.
Friendly and accommodating staff, who listened and responded to booking inquiries.
Best value for money with the a compared with other close-by hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My parents had got my partner and I one nights stay at this hotel for an engagement present in June. We were extremely excited as we were visiting family in Sydney and thought this would just be the perfect end to our holiday before we flew back to Ireland. Well, where do I start? I was horrified to say the least. When we entered the hotel we were extremely impressed with the decor and layout, it was just beautiful. We approached the guy at the desk to check in and our "prefect night" was just swept from beneath us within a matter of minutes. We were checked in by a guy whom was nothing but rude and ignorant. He began by reading my booking details in which I provided him with. Whilst reading the details the male looked me up and down with an unwelcoming, belittling look upon his face. I thought maybe he just had extremely bad customer service experience but it only got continuously worse... It was only to my surprise when he said to me "Oh sorry you need a credit card to check in, and there has to be $100 deducted for a deposit." I was unaware of this and began to panic as nor my partner or I had a credit card with us as the room was pre-paid as a gift. I explained this to the member of staff and he replied "then you cant check in," with an intimidating grin upon his face. As I continued to panic my partner asked the guy if we could pay in cash and he replied whilst laughing at us " Yes you can BUT its $400." I could not understand how this was funny? We were frowned upon as if we were dirt. My partner then informed the guy that this wouldn't be a problem and handed him $400 from our $2000 cash we were willing to spend in the bar and restaurant upstairs. The guy almost seemed shocked that we had the cash and continued to proceed with the check-in whilst continuously looking me up and down from head to toe. This made us not only feel extremely unwelcome but also highly uncomfortable. The guy asked if he could have a signature to complete the check-in, so as anyone would I lifted the pen to sign the page. To my surprise the guy informed me that he could not use the females signature and it had to be the males. I would have overseen this if the booking had been made in my partners name but it hadn't!!! Once the check-in was complete the guy asked me loudly in front of a queue of guests and other members of staff " Are you just here for a few hours with Mr.Boyle or will you be checking out in the morning?" whilst looking down his nose. I was HORRIFIED at this accusation. Why else would a male be accompanied by a female for a "few hours" in a hotel room unless she was an escort or provided some sort of service in order to get money. I was disgusted at this remark as we had only got engaged the previous week. My partner was shocked and was literally speechless for the first time in his life!! I had no choice but to inform the guy I WOULD be checking out the following morning. He then snapped "anything else?" I asked what time breakfast would be served as we had planned to have an early breakfast followed by an afternoon using the hotels facilities. The guy once again frowned and replied " Its served between 7am & 10am BUT its $40 each!" Again, I was SO embarrassed. Who is this guy to judge anyone? Little does this ignorant, judgmental human being know that my partner and I could no doubt BUY his house or car or whatever he may own 5 times over!!! We are both very successful entrepreneurs and have never frowned upon anyone in our lives, especially not by a hotel receptionist anyway. My partner and I left the check-in desk to make our way to our room and literally stared at each other in complete and utter shock for a few minutes. We had planned to go for dinner in the restaurant and spend the night in the beautiful bar on the 36th floor of this hotel whilst drinking Krug to celebrate our engagement... I think its safe to say our plans were swiftly changed! We left our belongings in the room and left the hotel straight away to go for dinner. We ended up having Pub Grub in a bar close by called "The Argyle". This was our only saving grace. The staff in this bar were amazing! So welcoming and friendly. We ended up staying here for a few hours to try and recover from the shock of our horrible experience from the HORRIBLE male on duty. Once we had finished in the Argyle, my partner and I returned to the dreadful place in which we were staying, "The Shangri-La," and went straight to bed. We checked out as soon as we woke the next morning and were so relieved on our departure. Only the room was pre-paid as a gift I would most definitely have left upon check-in!!!!! Think it is safe to say that our experience was nothing short of HORRENDOUS and would never recommend this place to any1!!!! If you want a good night in Sydney AVOID this hotel at all times!!!
Moral of the story- "DON'T judge a book by its cover ;) "

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Having spent one night on a business trip in Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, I felt it was a rewarding experience. I stayed in a clean, comfortable room with a great, panoramic view of the harbour and spacious bathroom full of amenities. The breakfast was truly a feast with arrays of international breakfast dishes to sample. Too bad, I didn't have time to explore and utilize other facilities in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

First class hotel and easy walk to Circular Quay and Rocks is no problem. Very convenient location . Wonderful rooms across all standards ,professional staff and a killer experience in the Blu Bar at Level 36 must not be missed.

The best hotel gym I've seen so far also

Room Tip: Any room is great. We booked three different room standards for a family reunion. All fabulous.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!