“Epitome of Concierges” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #20 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Los Angeles
“Epitome of Concierges”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

First visit to Sydney, and the hotel made sure when I asked to move me to a room with a view of both the Harbor Bridge and Opera House.

I cannot compliment this hotel enough for their stellar team of Concierges who gave superb advice about the city. Hotel is at the top of the hill by The Rocks area. It is a short walk, but still a walk (shorter from neighboring hotels). The Rocks had excellent dining options in all price ranges. Gym also offers good variety of equipment.

Only con was the bathroom sink stopper I kept asking to be fixed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A true five star hotel in Sydney CBD.
Service is good and room is nice and clean.
Really enjoy the night we spend in Sydney.

Remember to check in earlier to get higher level.
Then you can't miss the great harbour view.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I will begin with the positives. The view from a Premier Grand Harbor Room is without equal, covering the Opera, Harbor Bridge and other points. The room itself was smaller than we expected given the fact it was identified as one of the hotel's larger rooms and the furnishings although nice were in need of updating. The bed was large and comfortable. The location is convenient to downtown businesses and the tourist attractions of the Harbor and the "Rocks" area. The hotel is on a steep hill so if you have trouble walking it might not be a good choice. The main problem with the hotel is the service is very uneven. The concierges are informed and helpful, but when they leave at 6 no one else is able to recommend a restaurant. We had to move rooms during our stay as the toilet in our room was broken. This problem should have been identified before we checked in. The new room's bathroom vanity was missing a knob and there was a hole in the closet ceiling. Not a big deal, but these problems should have been caught before we checked in at a 5 star hotel. A further problem occurred when our key for the new room failed to work, We went to the front desk to have it reset and were told we were checked out and the hotel was full and we would have to get room elsewhere. They would not look up our reservation and only by insisting to speak to a manager did we resolve the situation. This was at 5 PM on a Saturday and very stressful. Apparently, when they moved rooms they did it for that night without checking the length of our reservation. On a positive note, the hotel does attempt to make right, providing complimentary sparkling wine in the new room to make up for the inconvenience of the move and the Hotel Manager contacted me after filling out their survey and offered a free upgrade on a future visit. Clearly, they want to provide good service; however all the problems cited above should not have occurred.

Room Tip: The Premier Grand Harbor Rooms whose room number ends in 13 have incredible views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Shangri-La hotel has been our city gateway hotel for years - we come here to celebrate mine and my wife's birthday every year with our 2 young children. The kids absolutely loved the hotel with the indoor swimming pool and the special present at check-ins. The room is spacious compared to other 5 star hotels in Sydney and the view is just simply magnificent!

As an Amex platinum Cardmember, we are entitled to the Fine hotel packages and receive complimentary upgrade and $100 credit to use at the hotel. My wife absolutely loves Shangrila and as long as the fine hotel package continues on, we are guaranteed to return and enjoy the extra benefits we have.

It's a great hotel for family with young kids as they can usually accommodate the entire family in one room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the time I arrived through until the time I departed, I was continuously impressed by the level of service offered by all team members at this hotel. From the valet and driveway team who recognised me from my prior stays, through to the exceptional Danielle on the front desk who checked us in - there wasn't one aspect of this stay that I could fault.

There really is no comparison, I am reasonably well traveled and I am impressed each time I visit this hotel - well done to the team and I look very forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Executive Grand Harbour View Rooms are exceptional - Premier Grand Harbour View Room is simply the b...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wollongong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Now I am not sure how to rate this hotel..we stayed in 2416..executive opera house..absolutely fantastic view..and fantastic for the International fleet review. But several things were a real let down. The shower pressure was hopeless..if you wanted a bath you needed to start 1/2 before hand for a small kids bath as the hot water just trickled out! this scared me as I hadn't had a shower as yet and yes that was terrible too barely warm enough to sooth the body after a big day at the Fleet Review !
The breakfast was ordinary..very limited selections. Staff at breakfast were good. Overall the rooms did not knock my socks off, they were tired and just plain boring, the extra bits were nice (toothbrushes, slippers etc) but to be expected.

I have stayed at several hotels in Sydney and one in particular was far better than this (besides the view, mind you the tops floors do have a great view also) that is the Sheraton on the Park.
Yes the parking was pricey but the concierge staff were good in the fact that they bought our car up at 3pm (apparent cut off) and we left it in the drive way till we left at 3.45 pm so we didn't get charged for the extra $58 day!
Yes we did get a glimpse of Prince Harry.. but I won't rush back

Room Tip: Executive Opera house/city view gave you a view down the Harbor which was nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ArpadRomandy, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear tania m,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear about your issue with the shower pressure. Rest assured, we are looking into this matter with our Engineering team and will take action. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to delight you when you stay with us again. You may email me at arpad.romandy@shangri-la.com.

Best regards,

Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Shangri-La Sydney and I must say I felt rather let down.
We booked a harbour view suite, which did have great views of Sydney Harbour. Booked a suite, wanting that special touch for our stay. However the suite itself felt like it could do with a renovation. From the out dated brown furniture throughout the suite, to the short king size bed. Now I am not the tallest person, but my feet where on the edge of the bed. Service at the hotel was good, staff where attentive and very friendly. The breakfast area on level 1 is also in need of change, dim lighting and the positioning of the tables made it feel very chlostrophobic. Dont get me wrong we enjoyed our stay at the hotel, we were only let down as we expected so much more from a Shangri-La hotel.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!