“Royal Suite at the Shangri-La Sydney Australia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #19 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney
“Royal Suite at the Shangri-La Sydney Australia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have stayed at the Shangri-La Sydney a number of times and our favourite rooms have always been the Horizon club rooms ending in xx13. UNTIL NOW. Now we just want 3411.
The Shangri-La has become somewhat of a home away from home for us. Although we are from Sydney we love staying at the Shangri-La and we love dining at the Park Hyatt. Several times during the year there are marvelous things on in Sydney (Vivid, Handa Opera, or our birthdays or anniversary) and so we treat ourselves. We are small business people and don't have the time to take holidays but these breaks make up for it.
This time, on arrival at the horizon check in, we were upgraded. We were nervous because we love our particular room style, but......
WOW!!!

Have a look!
Nothing can beat that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here twice in February, marking either side of a trip to New Zealand. Both stays, we had no problems being checked in early, and were even given an upgraded room on our second visit. The views from the room were spectacular - I was immediately sharing pictures of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge - taken from my room!
Accommodation anywhere in Sydney is expensive, but it was definitely worth it given the views and proximity to the Harbour. We loved touring through the Rocks area.
The rooms were spacious and clean, but we were particular fans of the breakfast that was included. The buffet-style meal included anything we could want and we found ourselves returning for more corn cakes, fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits. Delicious!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have stayed at the Shangri-La at the Rocks in Sydney a couple of times now for business.

The rooms are lovely, and plenty large enough. The beds are comfortable, and the bathrooms are spotless. I stayed in a room with a view of the Opera House, and it was stunning. The location is handy, only about a 5 minute walk or so to The Rocks. However, if you a little unfit, the walk back might be difficult as it is quite hilly.

The service is wonderful, and the staff are only too happy to help with any request.

The buffet breakfast is good, there is a wide selection of food. The Horizon Club is good value too, free afternoon tea, canapes and drinks all day.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else next time I visit Sydney.

Room Tip: The Horizon Club rooms ending in xx13 are more spacious.
chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri La for 3 days in May. It was not cheap, but neither is anything in Sydney. The service was excellent - I arrived from the US at around 7am and I was able to check right in. Housekeeping service was impeccable. The room was very large, elegant and well-appointed, bathroom was terrific, huge tub, nice shower, and the view of the harbor was fantastic. (unfortunately i got a lower floor because of early check in, but still pretty awesome). The concierge was very helpful in making sure I knew where I was going as I toured around, and always gave me extra bottles of water as I set out each day. I really felt taken care of. The gym was also very nice with good equipment, chilled towels, and the works. The location just can't be beat - it was the perfect home base for seeing all of the iconic landmarks of Sydney as well as a quick walk to the ferry system that will get you just about anywhere. The only criticisms I have about the place were that the windows were dirty which really detracted from the view, especially when you pay for the view, and the elevators which were very temperamental and slow - at certain points over the weekend, there were lines of people waiting for the elevators which was tiresome after a long day. I think this has a bit to do with the bar on the 36th floor which apparently is a tourist spot for sunsets. I understand that, but it was annoying to be a guest and have to wait 20 mins for an elevator to my room because of it. In the end, I would highly recommend this hotel and would book here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the Shangri-La at the Rocks in Sydney for business. I was there for 4 nights and had a very pleasant stay. My room had a great view of the Opera House and harbour and was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was spotless with great pressure on the shower. My only criticism was the quilt was a little thin but perhaps they had not changed over to winter quilts yet. Great service in the restaurants and bar. I used Bar Blu on 36th floor twice and had a great meal at the Altitude restaurant.
If you book directly on their website make sure you book a refundable rate. I originally booked about 8 weeks out at $330 per night and then a week out from my stay I checked their website again and managed to secure the same room for $250 per night so I cancelled my original booking with no penalty.

Room Tip: Make sure you understand the room you are getting, Harbour view vs Opera view vs Darling Harbour vie...
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Shangri-La twice now and its the only hotel i would consider for a special occasion such as an anniversary or Birthday.
The staff are very attentive, the location is fantastic (5 mins walk to The Rocks and The Quay) and the rooms are awesome. Fantastic views of either Opera house and Quay or The Quay.
Beautiful marble bathrooms, comfy bed and breakfast is excellent too (if not a little busy on Sunday mornings).

• Stayed March 2013
Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed the for 3 nights for a business trip. Staff did their outmost to make it easy. Got a (very) early check-in without fee. Good credit for Golden Circle. Great bat at the top. Forget the food at the restaurant first floor. Ok but nothing special. laundry was ok and on time, nice place although a bit far away from the action. Not sure would go thereof a private basis but can only recommend it.

Room Tip: Get on view on the town
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!