“Crap service, overpriced, will never stay there” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #17 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Crap service, overpriced, will never stay there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed there for Mother's day. Service is very average. Housekeeping "apparently" didn't find my iPhone charger. The last thing I did before checking out was pull my phone out if the charger which was plugged near the bedside table socket. What annoys me the most is their excuses for NOT calling me back! I had to follow up and the receptionist who answered didn't want to help at all!

The restaurant food was good, service was good too.

Bed was comfortable, pillows were uncomfortable.

Valet parking attendants were nice and helpful.

Overall, poor experience due to housekeeping and front desk! I will not pay $500 a night again for the crap service we got!

• Stayed May 2013

2,912 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a Horizon Club room on a Saturday night.

The staff were friendly and attentive. The room was great and the Horizon Lounge offered great views. The level of service by the Horizon Lounge staff was exceptional.

Overall, an excellent stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stay regularly at this hotel and am a Golden Circle member. The 13-number rooms (e.g. 1213, 1513) offer exceptional space and full Sydney Harbour views (from the Heads, to the Opera House, over to the Sydney Harbour Bridge). When I was there on a business trip in April 2013, I had ordered an in-room breakfast for 6.00-6.15am. I had a car picking me up at 7.00am. So I decided that I would have a slow breakfast, then a shower and then check out. 6.15 arrives - no breakfast. I ring in-room dining and am told "it's on its way now". 6:25 arrives - still no breakfast (and still now shower as I don't know when the food will arrive). I ring in-room dining to be told "it's on its way". Food arrives at 6.35. It's cold. I have to bolt some of it down, then have a shower and was late leaving the hotel for my appointments. I think there are insufficient staff to service their morning breakfast round. I decided not to go back for my next trip to Sydney in May but went to the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Choose the 13-numbered rooms (e.g. 1213, 1513, 2013). Ask for a high floor. They're not cheap...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our room was large, but a bit "tired". Everything was clean and in working order. The bed was very comfortable and the view from our room, 1918, on the 19th floor was superb - looking out over Circular Quay and the Opera House.
The staff were all friendly and helpful, and the breakfast, albeit expensive, is worth paying for. The food choice is enormous and the quality is very good. Fill your boots and skip lunch!
Overall we were very pleasantly surprised by the Shangri La, Sydney. Happy to go back anytime.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights when leaving a cruise ship. I had told them when booking that this trip was for a special birthday for my husband, on arriving at reception at 8am was very impressed to find not only was our room ready but we had been upgraded. As it was raining hard we decided to wait in for our luggage to arrive, but instead of the luggage after an hour we had 4 people walk into the room who said they had been given the room so obviously had a key. It took the bell boy some time to sort out the mess and then sort our bags. Not very professional!!
Later that day management sent up a birthday cake and a bottle of champagne, we drank the champagne but left some of the cake. The dirty glasses and cake sat in the room for 3 days even though we rang down and requested that they be moved.
We had various other problems with the housekeeping staff leaving dirty cleaning cloth's in the bathroom and them taking my husbands shoes for cleaning. the shoes were not returned for 30 hours until we got the manager to speak to them because we were waiting to go out and had a dinner reservation in a special restaraunt for our last night.
The room and the view were lovely, but things need looking at in the housekeeping department.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel if you cannot walk up hills
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our first experience at the Shangri-La and what a lovely experience. Our corner room on the 32nd floor (Premier Grand) with Club access was large and comfortable with spectacular views of all that makes Sydney. We checked in early morning and went up to the Club lounge to have a bite to each and drink while our room was being prepared. Celebrating a special occasion, we were given complimentary cake and champagne.
I cannot commend the staff highly enough, they were magnificent. Nothing was a problem, anything that we enquired about was dealt with promptly.
Evening drinks and canapes in the Club were the best we've had. A special mention goes to Shane - and his great cocktail mixes. Breakfast in Mix was very good - again the service stood out for us.
The pool and spa were also a treat.
This was by far the best 5 star service we've experienced in any hotel. It was well worth the investment.

Room Tip: Invest a little extra for Club access, you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pearl Beach NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Bit dated, but overall excellent value, great view, and horizon club staff excellent. Only downside, poor quality of 'champagne' and wine in horizon club ' and hot food not always hot. Best bed i have had in an Australian hotel. Did not want to leave it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!