“Great hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #17 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Auckland
“Great hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in the Shangri -La recently for a company function. Rooms are spacious and the hotel facilities are what you would expect from a 5 star property. The best thing is the location. A 5 min (max) walk to the Rocks area and close enough to walk around the harbour and the Opera house.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

2,692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at Shangri-La for a night mid march 2013, and it being a 5 star hotel i was expecting a lot better and organised service. The hotel was ncie, the facilities were very good, but service was bad.
Before i booked it, they told me that if i pay on the same day, i will get complimentary late check out at 1pm and drinks on arrival as i told it s for an anniversary. i even asked if i had to pay and they told me that it s definitely complimentary/ When we went to check in on the day, they had no idea about our late check out, the best they could do was 12. The room was nice, bathroom was realy nice. We got our bottle of champagne after 3 hours, after we called them again reminding that we were supposed to get it on arrival as they told us. In the morning i called again to ask if we can extend out check out and i ll pay for it, they told me it s not available. We got in-room dining, we got breakfast, everything was realy nice, pretty pricy, but i was expecting that. while we were having breakfast they called me 3 times asking to pay for breakfast, i thought they can get the money from the bond as i still had credit, but they consisted that i don t have any credit left and someone has to come up to our room and get the money, After a minute there was already someone knocking the door to collect the money, as i didn t have the right amount i payed him more and told him that i will collect the change when i check out.
When we went down to check out, i saw the girl who booked the room for me, i asked about late check out as she told me when i was booking it that it s complimentary, and i could not believe, when the girl told me " well if u want, you can go back now and come back in an hour".
After packing and getting ready she was telling me that i can go back, i just didn t understand, so if it was available why they didn t let me extend it.
I just wanted to check out and i asked for my change for the breakfast, it took them half an hour to find that money, i would expect that if they say check out at 12 so everything has to be ready at 12, i don t want to wait half an hour to get some change, and in the end they told me i still hade credit frmo my bond, so why they called me 3 times while i was having breakfast and y they had to come and get the money at that time from the room.
i mind sound one of those realy annoying clients, but i was expecting realy an organised service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I would just like to thank the management & staff at this wonderful hotel who had a room available, apparently the only one in all of Sydney, after ringing around at least 15 others, after midnight on the 22/3/13 when my Melbourne flight was returned to Sydney due to bad weather in Melbourne.
I was welcomed by very friendly staff and checked in effortlessly and off to my room almost immediately.
The room was awesome, what magnificent views from room 2715, wow!!!
Shame my phone was flat I couldn't even take a picture of those views, it was amazing at night and in the morning even better.
I just wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy them and relax in that wonderful bed a lot longer.
The bathroom was beautiful, the shower was hot and the bath looked inviting, it was wonderful, and immaculately clean.
Breakfast was included in my rate and it was amazing also, just what I needed after arriving so late and missing dinner due to being in the air for hours trying to get home. the staff of the buffet were very polite and the service was first class, a credit to you.
I would like to recommend this wonderful hotel to everyone, I had a great experience and would definately stay again, this time for longer, and to enjoy those amazing views from the room.
Well done to managment & staff, keep up the good work. :)

Room Tip: Room 2715 has AMAZING Opera House, Sydney Harbour & Circular Quay Views. I can highly recommend...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I got to the hotel around 12:00,was told the room was not ready.So They asked me to walk around and called me when the room was ok.But when I was back ,the front staff was coldly telling me I had to wait until 3Pm.No explanation,no apology,simply turned you away.I have never met such unfriendly staff.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Shangri-la to celebrate our 1st year anniversary.
We were not dissapointed!
We booked a Horizon Club Opera House City view room and it was sensational.
The expansive views of the Opera House and Circular Quay area were breathtaking upon arrival, also as the night came upon us and as the sun rose the next morning we deliberately kept the curtains open to wake up to the sunrise over this beautiful city.

We utilized the Horizon Club lounge for complimentary drinks and canapés and enjoyed a cocktail in the Blu Bar on 36 which had a great atmosphere and excellent service.

The hotel provided us a beautiful bottle of French champagne and chocolates to honor our anniversary and we enjoyed them immensely.

Breakfast in Cafe Mix was delicious! A wide variety of hot and cold choices again backed up with efficient service for a busy period. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff we encountered at any time during our stay.

Thank you Shangrila Sydney, we highly recommend your experience to anyone;)

• Stayed March 2013
canberra australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed Recently for two nights for a Course being held at the Shangri-La.

I have stayed here previously so had no hesitation in booking. Had booked a deluxe Darling Harbour view room but was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a Horizon Club Room with a Harbour view (even more surprising as I had booked through Expedia to get an extra 10% off !).

The room was well appointed with L'Occitane toiletries , fast complimentary wifi, nice widescreen TV and an iPod/phone dock.

The course was well catered lunch and coffee breaks were very nice with a decent selection on both days.

Yes it is on the expensive side but if you want 5 star accommodation in Sydney the Shangri-La provides fair value for money with an excellent location overlooking Sydney Harbour and outstanding customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La for one night.
It was perfect and lived up to its wonderful reputation. The staff were wonderful and helpful with parking and checking us in.
The room we had was on the 22nd floor and we had views of the Opera House.
The room was well thought out. Plenty of space, comfortable bed. I particularly liked the seats near the large windows, to admire the view.
The bathroom was lovely too with lots of thoughtful amenities.
Would love to go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!