“Great location, great rooms, great food, only thing missing is customer service at reception.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #17 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Near London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I ran a training programme for an international group in January at this hotel and it was great. Right next to the Rocks, 5 minute walk from Circular Quay, it couldn't be better placed. The actual hotel rooms are spacious and tasteful and the beds are so comfortable. Try to get a view overlooking the bridge and Opera House and if on the other side, go higher up to avoid the road noise.

The conference staff were second to none especially Ajay and Calvin, thank you. The breakfast buffet is great (again great staff thanks especially to Silvano) and the food from the cafe on the ground floor really nice.

The only other thing that let's this hotel is the speed of service from the reception. Whether there in person or calling by phone, they seem to take an inordinate amount of time to serve each customer, such a shame as if it wasn't for this I would give this wonderful hotel 5 stars. Needless to say, I hope to be back.

Room Tip: Go higher up if on the road side, it's quieter. Try to get a room overlooking the bridge or Oper...

2,690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before for New year for years ago again we were not disappointed we arrived the 29th Dec and left on 3rd Jan. Service was very good attentive but not over baring, we had a Darling Harbour view room this time which was large and spacious with a great view. Great base for Circular quay and the Rocks. We had pre-booked the Altitude restaurant for New years eve and we were not disappointed by the views or the 10 course meal which was out of this world great once in life time experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you go up the Altitude bar or restaurant at the top of this hotel it offers unrivaled view...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel has the best view ever! Our room overlooked downtown and the Opera House. The rooms and bathrooms are AMAZING!!! The size and decor are 5 stars. My husband and I were here on business. The location was second to none! There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance. We walked down to The Rocks on a Sunday and enjoyed the flea market. The food was very pricey. Overall, the hotel was very nice. I would stay at this hotel again in a heart beat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri La for four nights over the Australia Day weekend. I had a great stay whilst I was there. The room was clean and was presented well. Each day, the house cleaning team turned down our bed and left a book mark as a gift. It was a nice touch.

The room (1215) was quite spacious with a great view of the opera house and the city. A king size bed was also part of the room, with free bottles of water provided daily. Also a nice touch. We had a room that had a connecting door, but we did not hear the people next to us. I am certainly confused as to why people think the walls are paper thin. We had 4 nights of uninterrupted sleep.

Our room over looked the swimming pool of the Four Seasons Hotel. The pool was outdoor and on a chilly and rainy day, not many people were using this facility. The Shangri La however had an indoor heated pool, which was a pleasure to use. It is by no means a lap pool (20m long). People who complain about not being able to swim laps in a hotel pool during peak times need a reality check! Most of the time we had the pool to ourselves.

We never ate at the restaurant or breakfast area, as there are too many restaurants in this area to eat at the hotel. The hotel is located in the Rocks area, within easy walking to the Sydney Harbour Bridge (2min walk) and Circular Quay (Opera House area). The Rocks is also home to some of the finest restaurants that Sydney has to offer, with the majority within 5 mins walk.

There is a fairly large incline fom the Rocks to the hotel, but this adds to the view. A young lady did struggle to pull her heavy suitcase up the hill without my help. I imagine she had caught the train from the airport to circular quay (20mins) and then walked to the hotel.

All in all, this hotel was good value or money, clean and very central. I had very limited interaction with the staff whilst I was there, however they were always polite and professional when talking to me. Upon checkout at 11am, there was a 10 min wait whilst it seemed everyone at the hotel checked out at the same time. The staff member immediately apologised for the delay. Unfortunately we chose the very last minute to check out, as did everyone, though we had a nice morning swim before doing so.

I arrived on a flight from Melbourne at 8am and went straight to the hotel to drop my bags off before heading off to a few meetings I had. The reception lady checked me in and then took my bags. I was then told my bags would be in my room, once it was ready. This was extremely handy, as I didn't have to carry a suitcase all over town. I even received a call during the afternoon informing me my room was ready. Great service.

As I returned to the hotel after dark, my only suggestion to management would be to instruct cleaning staff to leave the blinds wide open, that way when a guest walks into the room they are hit with an amazing view of the Opera House and the city. Each night staff had turned down the bed and closed the blinds to make it feel more homely.

I would certainly stay here again and would be happy to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Harbour Bridge Views means Harbour Bridge traffic. I don't know if windows are double glazed. Ci...
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you looking for a comfortable place to stay that offers amazing views of the Harbour and Opera house then this is the place to be.

Off the main road but within walking distance from circular key this is ideal if you want to explore around this part of the city with access to the ferries and great restaurants at the Harbour.

Gold Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was treated to a wonderful weekend in Sydney for my 50th birthday staying at the Shangri La and having what we thought would be the ultimate Day Spa experience. The Hotel is a beautiful property and really does lend itself to one of the best locations in the wonderfully historic Rocks area of Sydney. The hotel, whilst very beautiful and the rooms, extremely clean and nothing to fault about that aspect of our stay, however the overall service at the Shangri La is very shabby. The day spa experience was no different. There was a lovely young girl at the front desk, however, when we went in for our treatment, there was no consultation whatsoever, the therapist just started massaging like she was a robot, it was the weirdest experience, even after mentioning the style I would like, she just kept doing her thing, (literally just lightly brushing her hands over my back) . Upon reflection, I actually wonder if she spoke, English. She was a korean girl and maybe I should have asked if she understood? who knows? It was certainly not a pleasurable experience and for the money, I would never return, EVER! The Manager took 48 hours to return my calls to complain about it and she was very forceful and didn't really want to hear about it. Not a pleasant experience at all!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ArpadRomandy, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Kimbo31,

Thank you for your review regarding our property. We are pleased to read that you found the room cleanliness and location of our property wonderful.

We are however disappointed to learn of your experience with our Chi Spa. In order for us to respond to your review, please contact me privately so we may obtain your personal details in order to conduct further investigation.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Kind regards,
Arpad Romandy
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here over Australia Day weekend with girlfriend.

Very first impress, very attentive and helpful door staff. Checking in easy.

We stayed in the horizon club suite level 35 with opera views.

The view from room? 11/10

The room itself ? Well if you take out the view, fairly average kinda 4 starish.

Service was very good, until you need to make some adjustments. Room service tends to ring bell once or twice then proceeds to come inside. Bit odd I thought and kinda border line unacceptable considering we shouted just a minute. Requested smoking room but wasnt a good idea as made for difficult night to sleep with odour. Vents don't work well and air conditioning pre set to low as advised by service staff. Requested change and this was done on the Sunday due to capacity been full. We had day trip to blue mountains on day,requested they put luggage in room change, came back not done. No big deal, but still not what you expect from 5 star hotel. The beds must be different from level to level. Room 3515 the bed is A grade 5/5, room 3215 is much firmer 4/5. The feather pillows ++

Food? Horizon club bfast is very good, but not enough variety ( but you have the view of bridge n opera from level 30 priceless) - worth it. The buffet bfast on level 1 much better with huge variety made to high standards. And the staff in this department is excellent. Eggs made to order and coffee/tea once your seat. 5/5

Didn't get chance to try in room food as they had no dough left for pizza.

Overall would rate here highly considering its only approx $400 p/night

If they fix the minor attention to details then its really 5/5

If you get the details right to begin with you'll have great experience.

They knew was my bday and had an awesome cake waiting in each of the rooms we stayed in over the 3 days stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!