“Spectacular Sydney Harbour views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #20 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Spectacular Sydney Harbour views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Spent Friday & Saturday nights in an Executive Grand Harbour Suite on the 17th floor. The suite gave us spectacular views of Sydney Harbour, Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, The Rocks & Observatory Hill. The king bed was very comfortable & the air conditioning perfect for a good nights sleep. The bathroom was huge - I loved the separate dressing table for ease of make-up, doing hair etc which left the vanity free my husband to use. The window bath was enjoyable. The separate shower had great pressure. The lounge room was quite large and furnished very comfortably. Second toilet was convenient.

The suite also entitled us to the use of the Horizon Club (a quiet retreat with amazing views where you can have refreshments, borrow a board game, read the paper or just chill out). You could either have breakfast in the Horizon Club or at Cafe Mix on the 1st floor. We tried both - both were good - much larger choice on the 1st floor but Horizon Club was plentiful (juice, cereal, toast, eggs, fruit, pastries & more). Pop in from 6pm-8pm & enjoy a wine, beer or spirits.

If you're staying on a Friday or Saturday night, the seafood buffet at Cafe Mix is not to be missed. More than just seafood too & everything was so fresh.

We had in-room dining & it would have to be the best in-room meal we have ever had (the seafood taster plate was divine). The meal arrived (nice & hot) about 5 minutes earlier than promised & it was beautifully presented. Trolley/tray removal was very efficient.

Check-in & check-out were a breeze.

All the staff we encountered were happy, friendly, approachable & professional.

Room Tip: Rooms with harbour views are worth the extra.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Thatcham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here at the start of December, as part of our trip to Australia.

We stayed in a grand harbour view room and the view was worth the price of staying in the hotel.

The hotel was very clean and tidy and the service and friendliness of the staff was exceptional. We had breakfast one morning, and whilst it was very pricy the breakfast was exceptional also.

Should we return to Sydney, we will definitely lie to stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maegenwil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Hotel is within walking distance to the Rock with lots of shops, restaurants and bars. The bay bridge is just 5 mins away and depending on the room direction, you're able to see the Sydney opera house and the bay bridge. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are well equipped and the spa is very relaxing and with a nice ambiance. The indoor pool is heated (for my taste a bit to much chlorine). The breakfast is served in the first floor and everything tastes good. I can really recommend this hotel for any traveller going to Sydney. The bar at the 36th floor has a spectacular view over Sydney and all known drinks are served.

Room Tip: Room towards the bay bridge/opera house on a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed during Christmas holiday for 5 days. Hotel was extremely clean, and beautiful. Everyone was polite and very helpful. Concierge(Nick,Jason) were very helpful and knowledgeable. I would recommend paying the extra money and book the Opera view with Horizon Club access. You get breakfast and from 5-8p you get appetizers and free beverages and alcohol. Hotel was in great location near shops and restaurants, harbor bridge. I would recommend going are visiting (darlinghurst, rock markets, contemporary museum, do the bridge climb, Bondi beach, manly beach, darling harbor, )
The only thing I was disappointed with was the Blu bar. Was very small and bartenders were not very friendly. Drinks were also $30.00 dollars.
Overall I would def stay here again if in Sydney again.

Room Tip: If you book the horizon club your room will be on floor 30 or above
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Booked the Horizon Club... Not really sure if it is worth it... So many kids running around...Not really an executive lounge...

Room had amazing 270 degree views.. And was reall comfortable.

Little disappointed to pay $470 for one night - then an extra $58 charged for parking. Feel a little ripped off...

But it was quite nice, staff were friendly, helpful and professional...

• Stayed December 2012
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We booked two Horizon Club Opera House view rooms for a family trip in the days leading up to Christmas. The hotel is very well-located for the Rocks and Circular Quay, which are within easy walking distance. Rooms were comfortable, well-furnished, and provided great views from the 30th floor. Bathrooms were large, modern, and had great L'Occitane amenities. The best feature of this hotel were the staff, who were incredibly sweet and helpful. Our daughter had an accident within hours of our arriving at the hotel (no fault of the hotel's), and the manager and his team could not have been more solicitous and helpful. The Horizon Lounge team were all great, and being able to have breakfast, tea, and evening drinks in the Lounge with its breathtaking views of the harbour was well worth the extra cost of Horizon rooms. Only downsides to the hotel were the quite limited in-house dining choices (particularly on Sunday night when their signature restaurant was closed), and surprisingly downmarket range of spirits on offer in the Horizon Club (well drinks rather than premium). Given the location, views, room and club quality and especially the staff, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Worth going for the Horizon Club rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Thank you so much Shangri La Hotel, Sydney. My husband and I married on November 17, 2012 and we spent our wedding night with you. We had the most perfect day and the perfect evening at the end of a long and enjoyable day.

My bridesmaids, my 3 closest girlfriends and I stayed in a grand harbour suite the night before our wedding so we could get ready together for the wedding the following morning. Our suite was so large and spacious, it was incrediable. So luxurious! The suite had a large entry hall, that opened to a lounge room. You continued on to the master bedroom and and the large ensuite. There was 2 bathroom in the suite, which made getting ready for the wedding a breeze. We had a corner suite so we had sweeping views of the harbour including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Luna Park and the Opera House. It also meant that one of the walls of the ensuite was completely windows and had plenty of natural light for our makeup artist to utilise.

My hair stylist and her assistant had plenty of space to set up and we all had such a relaxing, stress free morning getting ready in such a breath taking location.

The night previous, we had all of the bridal party join us in the suite for drinks and one last get together before we all met up once again the next day at the alter. On the morning of the wedding, I had lots of family members dropping by to visit as we got ready, and also the photographers, and flower deliveries and video staff. With so much going on and so many people the suite catered to our every need and was large enough to be comfortable despite the hive of activity.

On the morning of the wedding and the morning after, we had breakfast at the downstairs cafe. It was a good spread and the staff there were lovely.

On our wedding night, my husband and I stayed in a different room, but it still had amazing views of the Bridge and Opera House. I opened the curtains up and we could see the amazing city all lit up from bed. We enjoyed this very much! We also enjoyed a lazy morning after with late check out and sitting on the window sil debriefing after a long weekend.

I cant fault the hotel, everything was perfect with the rooms and the view and building itself. All amazing. The staff however, we do have some complaints.

My biggest complaint was the mix up with our booking, we had booked 2 nights at the hotel, Friday night was the suite and Saturday night was just the 2 of us in a different room. On the morning of the wedding, reception kept calling telling us to get out of the suite and we were late for check out. We made sure prior to booking that this would not be a problem and we were assured that it wouldnt be an issue, we were free to get ready in the suite and when we were done, the staff would move our stuff to the other room. On the morning, we had to tell them countless times I was getting ready for a wedding, I didnt even have my dress on yet, my hair was half done and my makeup artist hadnt even started on my makeup. In the end, I had to ring my husband to ask him to talk to them because they kept on ringing me and wanting us to get out of the suite - eventually the mix up was resolved but it stressed me out a lot on a morning that I was already highly stressed out with the wedding and we had already been over this dozens of times prior to booking and again on the morning, very poor service.

Also, on the night of our wedding, the mix up with our booking continued and they wanted us to pay for the room AGAIN before they would give us the room keys. My husband told them we had already paid them at the time of the booking, and we wont be paying again. Not only that, but our bags were upstairs in the room already, with our wallets and credit card! As our gear was moved from the suite to our new room while we were off at the wedding, we didnt take it with us to church. After 10 mins sorting out our booking, standing in the lobby in my wedding dress and watching another wedding couple seeminly pain free in comparison checking into their room, we finally had our booking sorted out and we could go to our room. This man was very polite and I understand he is just doing his job, we dont blame him but after the mix up in the morning and the assurance everything was sorted only to have it all mixed up again a few hours later when we returned was a nightmare!

Also, in the excitement of all the commotion going on with the wedding, I accidentally left a bottle of wine in the suite mini bar fridge, It was a gift and had gold leaf flakes floating in the bottle. I was pretty upset at forgetting this - when I rang the hotel later to ask about it, they said nothing was reported as left behind...of course not. If you found this in a room, would you turn it in? As upset as I was, at least I can always buy another bottle, but its the principal. At least it can be replaced.

Despite these things, like I said I couldnt fault the hotel itself, the rooms, or the location. I enjoyed our stay, but for constructive criticsm, the staff and service can be improved in certain areas. One of the valet guys was simply fantastic however, I sadly cant remember his name, but he was there when we first checked in on Friday afternoon, he helped me unload all of our dresses and bags from my car and helped us settle in. He was also there the next day on the wedding day when I walked down to our waiting cars to take us to the cathedral, and he was still there when we returned at midnight after the wedding. He was there again when we checked out on Sunday afternoon and helped us load our dresses and bags back into our car and wished us well. I couldnt believe he was there the entire time, he works so hard and he deserves all the credit and commendation in the world. He was such a delight and I was very pleased to see him each time we crossed paths. I couldnt believe he was there each time we were downstairs, morning, afternoon and night! Thank you sir, I am so sorry I cant remember your name :(

Amazing views though, just have to reiterate this. Absolutely amazing. Loved the Shangri La, Sydney! Thank you for being a wonderful addition to our memorable and amazing wedding day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!