“A few hitches this time but still overall pretty good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sydney Package
Ranked #19 of 183 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“A few hitches this time but still overall pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I booked 2 rooms last minute direct. We received an apology for not being neighbours but it wasn't needed anyway as we are all adults.

Arrival and check in were very smooth.

Our room, stank of smoke, whilst the room i had booked for my mother was fine. Having stayed numerous times in the past I was bit surprised and a phone call had the solution quickly ( the smoke was not the hotels fault but someone who had flouted the rules)

We decided to have dinner in Cafe Mix Booking was a bit confusing as the lift and room docs said open of 10am till 10pm but in reality they closed in the afternoon until 6. As we needed to be out by 7 I was concerned but the preordering was excellent.

The computers were down at checkout and like most places now a 1.5% surcharge for cc applies They said they waived this ( i was intending to EFTPOS) and it wasn't on the documentation sent later in the day.

Stay again, yep. However I did realise how older travellers might struggle with the location if they are unfit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here for a night after the wedding, and the first thing we noticed (at 12 midnight) was the large number of people at reception. We had to wait 15 min to check in (standing there in my wedding gown). The rooms were fab, but the next morning we had the same issue checking.out - a queue of people at reception unlike anything I have ever experienced in any other hotel - much.less at a 5 star hotel! Breakfast was very overpriced and not really that nice and service was so-so. For the price you pay, it's definitely not worth it. You may as well find a 3-star hotel and pay half the price.

• Stayed November 2012
Hanau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked a room with Opera view at a discounted rate without breakfast. It was still very expensive, but the room was quite big, with comfy bathroom if maybe a little bit worn.

The location is great, we could walk to everything we wanted to do: Ferry ride to Manly, Bridge Climb, Opera House visit, close to all restaurants and bars in the Harbour Area. We had breakfast in some of the little cafés in the area which are just a short walk from the hotel. Fine with us.

Front desk staff was friendly and we had valet parking for our car, again very expensive, but the staff was helpful and quick.

I would definitely book it again as the location is just fab.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel has a super 36th floor bar and degustation dining with impeccable view, but the front desk is a joke. I had a brand new Smartphone stolen, and no assistance from either the desk or hotel security to support a search. The costs are the highest I have ever experienced for a sub-4 star hotel, and my opinion of this accommodation has influenced my decision to never visit Australia again.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I recently stayed here for a night away with my wife. 2 hours after checking out, I realised that i had left a pair of (brand new) shoes in the room. I contacted the hotel immediately and advised them of this - I provided my room number and assumed that this would be used to contact whoever had cleaned the room. They contacted housekeeping and informed me that the shoes had been found and provided me with a folio number - as I work in the city I advised them I would collect the shoes myself. Upon arriving at reception I provided these details to the concierge who phoned housekeeping to bring them up. After waiting the best part of half an hour I was presented with a pair of old brown sandals. I informed the Concierge that these were not my shoes and these were not left in my room. After another 10 minutes of searching, I was advised that I had been given the incorrect folio number and that the hotel didnt have them. Whilst I understand it is my error for leaving the shoes in the room in the first place (im sure im not the first...?) it is rather concerning that a 5 star hotel cannot manage to properly co-ordinate the return of a customers property, despite being given sufficient notice to do so. No doubt a member of housekeepings son or husband will be receiving a nice shiny new pair of shoes for Chirstmas...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Summary of our Trip to Sydney
It was my partner’s birthday and I wanted to do something special with him. After reading the reports on Shangri-La hotel in Sydney I decided it would be lovely to celebrate there. On recommendations from friends I booked the Horizon Club a few months before, however a few weeks before we were due to stay the price was reduced to $440.00, so I quickly rang and changed our booking to the cheaper price. When we arrived we were told the room would not be ready until 3.30 but if we wanted to pay an extra $50.00 we could have the harbour and opera house view which would be ready earlier, well we agreed to pay the extra, however that room wasn’t available until 2 pm anyway. Must say the view was magnificent as we were on the 31st floor, unfortunately the weather was overcast with a few showers, ah well one cannot do anything about the weather.
We decided to fill in time until our room became available so went down to Circular Quay to catch a ferry to Darling Harbour, we had lunch at one of the outside restaurants and then wandered back to the hotel. We went down to the Horizon lounge at 6pm to have the drinks and nibbles which were included in our package. The staff was offering to fill up your glass whenever you wanted, but I am not a big drinker so 2 drinks is enough for me. There was lots of food and we certainly didn’t need to go out for dinner, instead we wandered around The Rocks.
The next day we moved to the Meriton on Campbell Street as I wanted to be near China Town, I got a cheaper price because of info I got from Trip Advisor re going onto the Meriton Web Site, so thank you . It was Trevor’s birthday and we had booked a tour of Goat Island, which included a BBQ lunch. I would certainly recommend it to anyone, there were 90 people on the boat, but we were broken into 3 groups each with their own guide. The views back into Sydney were lovely. I decided to take my partner to Jamie Olliver’s restaurant on the recommendation of my daughter. We arrived about 7.30 and told there was a 1.5 hour wait, they do not take bookings. It was so noisy and cramped we decided to go down to Circular Quay where it was a lot quieter and the views magnificent.
Friday we caught a ferry over to Watsons Bay and did the full walk to both sides of the Gap, I didn’t realise there was a nude beach until we saw the sign, there were lots of people sitting under the rocks away from prying eyes. It was very warm and sunny and luckily I had an umbrella in case it rained. We got a take away from Doyles and sat in the restaurant and watched the world go by, it was lovely. We would have had to wait for 1.5 hours for the ferry to come, so we hopped on a bus back to Sydney, it took about an hour but it was worth it as we travelled thru Vaucluse, Point Piper and Kings Cross. I felt like Thai for dinner, but decided against Spice I Am because they are always so busy, so we went to another restaurant just down the road called The House ( I think) which was attached to a hotel which we thoroughly enjoyed,. I think they are connected because when we got the bill there was an advertisement for another Spice I am. The menu was very different from the usual Thai Restaurants we go to.
We planned to get up early and do a walk around before breakfast but we were still tired after all our holidaying. We need to go back to our full times jobs which are less tiring than holidaying. So it was a slow pack and off to the airport for our flight back to the Gold Coast and work which is really busy for both of us leading up to Christmas. Hope this wasn’t too boring to read, but I always get so much from Trip Advisor I should give some back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked the hotel through wotif.com for a special occassion. My husband arrived before me and was not allowed into the room as the booking was in my name, not his. my husband had Natalie, the front desk girl, call me and I verified my credit card and booking details so my husband could access the room. So I thought.The reception did not advise my husband that he could access our room and left him sitting at receptin for half an hour until I arrived.When I checked in I asked the girl why she had left him sitting for so long and she replied that she was too busy!
We only stayed for one night and I was given a lovely bottle of perfume by my husband which I realised I had left in the room. I called the hotel 2 hours after checkout to ask them to retrieve the perfume. I was advised housekeeping would contact me. No response. I called again the next day, and was told the same thing, housekeeping would call me...still no return phone call. I have now called 4 times. My perfume has disappeared and I cannot get an answer from the hotel as to whether or not it was located in my room.
I think this is appalling service from a supposedly international grade hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!