“Trip report few days in sydney” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

You added Shangri-La Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Gold Coast
“Trip report few days in sydney”

Summary of our Trip to Sydney
It was my partner’s birthday and I wanted to do something special with him. After reading the reports on Shangri-La hotel in Sydney I decided it would be lovely to celebrate there. On recommendations from friends I booked the Horizon Club a few months before, however a few weeks before we were due to stay the price was reduced to $440.00, so I quickly rang and changed our booking to the cheaper price. When we arrived we were told the room would not be ready until 3.30 but if we wanted to pay an extra $50.00 we could have the harbour and opera house view which would be ready earlier, well we agreed to pay the extra, however that room wasn’t available until 2 pm anyway. Must say the view was magnificent as we were on the 31st floor, unfortunately the weather was overcast with a few showers, ah well one cannot do anything about the weather.
We decided to fill in time until our room became available so went down to Circular Quay to catch a ferry to Darling Harbour, we had lunch at one of the outside restaurants and then wandered back to the hotel. We went down to the Horizon lounge at 6pm to have the drinks and nibbles which were included in our package. The staff was offering to fill up your glass whenever you wanted, but I am not a big drinker so 2 drinks is enough for me. There was lots of food and we certainly didn’t need to go out for dinner, instead we wandered around The Rocks.
The next day we moved to the Meriton on Campbell Street as I wanted to be near China Town, I got a cheaper price because of info I got from Trip Advisor re going onto the Meriton Web Site, so thank you . It was Trevor’s birthday and we had booked a tour of Goat Island, which included a BBQ lunch. I would certainly recommend it to anyone, there were 90 people on the boat, but we were broken into 3 groups each with their own guide. The views back into Sydney were lovely. I decided to take my partner to Jamie Olliver’s restaurant on the recommendation of my daughter. We arrived about 7.30 and told there was a 1.5 hour wait, they do not take bookings. It was so noisy and cramped we decided to go down to Circular Quay where it was a lot quieter and the views magnificent.
Friday we caught a ferry over to Watsons Bay and did the full walk to both sides of the Gap, I didn’t realise there was a nude beach until we saw the sign, there were lots of people sitting under the rocks away from prying eyes. It was very warm and sunny and luckily I had an umbrella in case it rained. We got a take away from Doyles and sat in the restaurant and watched the world go by, it was lovely. We would have had to wait for 1.5 hours for the ferry to come, so we hopped on a bus back to Sydney, it took about an hour but it was worth it as we travelled thru Vaucluse, Point Piper and Kings Cross. I felt like Thai for dinner, but decided against Spice I Am because they are always so busy, so we went to another restaurant just down the road called The House ( I think) which was attached to a hotel which we thoroughly enjoyed,. I think they are connected because when we got the bill there was an advertisement for another Spice I am. The menu was very different from the usual Thai Restaurants we go to.
We planned to get up early and do a walk around before breakfast but we were still tired after all our holidaying. We need to go back to our full times jobs which are less tiring than holidaying. So it was a slow pack and off to the airport for our flight back to the Gold Coast and work which is really busy for both of us leading up to Christmas. Hope this wasn’t too boring to read, but I always get so much from Trip Advisor I should give some back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked the hotel through wotif.com for a special occassion. My husband arrived before me and was not allowed into the room as the booking was in my name, not his. my husband had Natalie, the front desk girl, call me and I verified my credit card and booking details so my husband could access the room. So I thought.The reception did not advise my husband that he could access our room and left him sitting at receptin for half an hour until I arrived.When I checked in I asked the girl why she had left him sitting for so long and she replied that she was too busy!
We only stayed for one night and I was given a lovely bottle of perfume by my husband which I realised I had left in the room. I called the hotel 2 hours after checkout to ask them to retrieve the perfume. I was advised housekeeping would contact me. No response. I called again the next day, and was told the same thing, housekeeping would call me...still no return phone call. I have now called 4 times. My perfume has disappeared and I cannot get an answer from the hotel as to whether or not it was located in my room.
I think this is appalling service from a supposedly international grade hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed one night, Sunday 9th Dec, in a Horizon Club Opera House View room on the 32nd floor. Amazing view over Circular Quay watching the comings and goings of the ferries and restaurants.

I travelled to Sydney with my sister-in-law and my daughter to celebrate her 13th birthday. The lovely lady at reception offered us the use of the Horizon Club as we arrived well before check in time of 3pm. We had tickets to see Legally Blonde the musical that afternoon at 3pm so we were very keen to see if we could at least get our room a little earlier to change before the performance. This turned out to be no problem as I got a call about 1pm to say our room was ready.

The hotel facilities are beautifully presented with courteous staff all round. The Horizon Club room proved great value as our activities brought us back to the hotel in time for canapes in the evening and we were able to drop in and collect a drink or snack on our way out at other times. It meant that we weren't always on the lookout for the next dining option while we were shopping or at the theatre. The room comfortably fit the three of us, a king bed and 1 roll away. Lovely L'Occitane bathroom products and beautiful fluffy towels and robes which my daughter appreciated. We chose to have breakfast in Cafe Mix downstairs. Huge variety, attentive service and delicious eggs!

The hotel is situated in a wonderful position. It is a short walk up/down a hill or stairs to/from Circular Quay but an easy, flat 10 min walk to Wynyard Station if you need to get any further. All in all we had a lovely stay at this hotel and will definitely look at booking again.

Room Tip: Horizon Club rooms are on the higher floors thus a better view. Choose the Opera House or Darling H...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
aus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed in the Horizon Club Grand Harbour View Room for one (1) night during winter.

The Shangri-la is an a flawless position for those interested in Circular Quay/The Rocks. An easy walk anywhere, albeit a bit hilly. The CBD is easy to get to from there.

Check-in was flawless, the front-desk keyed us up to the Horizon Club where check-in took only a few seconds. We were then offered breakfast, which was very kind, considering we technically weren't owed it, this meant we enioyed two (2) breakfasts despite only staying one (1) night. As it was early, the room wasn't ready, however the lady said she would call us when it was ready, later in the morning she called as promised. Bags were delivered promptly. The view from the Horizon Club was world-class.

The room was better than sound, but again the view was world-class. That is more or less what you pay for, but I felt it represented good value.

The Horizon Club isn't bad, but isn't a brilliant club floor. Spread is reasonable but unspectacular. I much prefer club floors where the spirits are self-service, there were a couple of times where I was waiting for a top-up when I would have happily fixed my own if allowed. I invited a friend up for drink, to join my partner and me. Bizarrely, his drink was added to the bill. This has never happened in any other club floor i the world, which I thought was ridiculous. The cost was $40.60 for a glass of red. Which I thought was a disgrace. Isn't the point of a club floor to entertain clients/friends/lovers? We certainly weren't going nuts in terms of our consumption. Considering the extra ones pays for the HC, this left a bitter taste.

Another issue was the laundry, it seems the staff's poor English led to confusion. I asked if the laundry could be done in less than two (2) hours. The staff said yes. A few hours later, it wasn't done, and the staff didn't know about my request. Annoying.

Cleanliness/decor/opulence/ health and lesiure facilities were all what one expects from a top hotel.

All in all, would I stay again? Yes, but if there were any more annoyances I wouldn't bother a third time. I should add I have had far more positive than negative experiences with the Shangri-la worldwide, and hopefully this is just an outlier.

Room Tip: Join the Golden Circle Club, it is free and the entry level has some nominal benefits.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel was recommended to us and what a find.
The hotel is in a spectacular location on the edge of The Rocks and a close to Circular Quay and all the transport links. One note of caution, the hotel is at the top of a steep hill, but then that is what gives it the magnificant views.
This is. 5 star hotel and deservedly so. To take advantage of the location we had booked an Opera House view Horizon Club room. We arrived at 08.30 off a flight from London and our room was not going to be ready until the afternoon, the receptionist gave us another room for the day so we could shower and rest.
The Horizon room has everything you could ever need and thecHorizon Lounge has some of the best views ever seen of Sydney. The staff are all very helpful and courteous. The breakfast buffet is wonderful but it is 5 star prices.

Room Tip: Go mad and book a Horizon Club room with a view
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was planned as a birthday surprise for my girlfriend, and I had wanted to book the advertised Chi (spa) Balance package which included a whole bunch of things - including accom / spa / breakfast.

However the online booking link didn't work so I used the hotel enquiry form to request help with the booking.

No reply.

So I emailed both the Spa and the Reservations team.

The Spa team replied and advised that someone from Reservations would contact me to confirm my accom (etc).

No reply.

After a week, still no reply. Then again I followed up. Same response from the Spa team.

Finally I spoke with someone from Sales and they sorted it out, but I had to reserve a room via Expedia in the meantime in order to at least guarantee the room night.

The spa (80 min couples treatment) was nothing short of fantastic. Very highly recommended.

We were offered a complimentary b'day cake (delicious) and bottle of bubbly - so I would have to say that the hotel pulled out all stops to make sure that we were happy campers.

Recommended:
* Opera House facing room for the view over the Quay out to towards the Heads.
* Cocktails up on level 36 as the sun sets over Sydney. They were absolutely delicious.
* the Spa (of course!)
* if you're from out of town, plan to go for a run (there's a run map in the room) or at least a walk across the Harbour Bridge and The Rocks.

Room was very nice, bed comfy and bathroom ultra clean. The room was so quiet and dark with the curtains/blinds closed that we would've slept through the day were it not for our alarm!
Will happily return again.

Room Tip: High up, facing the quay or harbour bridge.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Excellent panaramic views of the harbor, service unsurpassed and really comfortable beds. Had a great weekend in Sydney. Thanks to Phil the Concierge for hooking us up with a last minute reservation at Cafe Sydney where we had a window side table overlooking the harbor. When the cruise ship pulled out, we had an unobstructed view of the Harbor Bridge. Food was excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for a panaramic view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!