“Ideal location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Menzies Sydney

You added The Menzies Sydney to your Saves list
The Menzies Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Carrington Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #96 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Ideal location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

The Menzies is ideally located for the main areas of Sydney, wihin easy walking distance of The Opera House, Harbour Bridge,Circular Quay, The Rocks and Darling Harbour Older style hotel with friendly staff and good size comfortable rooms. Next to Wynard underground station. Whist there try a ferry to Manley Bay from Circular Quay,cheap and great views of bridge and Opera House. Food and drink prices in Sydney quite high ( try Harry the Wheels Pie stall at Woollamalloo for a good snack)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
TheMenziesSydney, Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you "jenard" for your feedback. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed our friendly staff, comfortable rooms and unbeatable location, and hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again on a future visit.
Sincerely - Michael Smith, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Port Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

This was my first stay at The Menzies. The entrance Foyer is very opulent and quite an eye opener.
Reception staff were very helpful and informative, we were quickly directed to our room on the 8th floor.
The room was of a good size but a little cool, the south wing had a problem with the heating, which unfortunately was not resolved whilst we were there, which did make it a little uncomfortable.
The Hotel was opened in 1963, which makes it around the same age as me! Unfortunately like me it is starting to show its age, a little rough round the edges but still trying hard...
Overall a great location, a little rough around the edges, most staff pleasant and still worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
TheMenziesSydney, Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
Thank you "Azureair" for your input and for your kind remarks. We are at the tail end of a project to upgrade the air conditioning system in our south wing which will enhance the comfort of our guests. I agree with you that a little extra effort needs to be put in to maintain the "grand" lady as she ages and we're pleased to do just that for such a renowned hotel as The Menzies.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Location:
Inner CBD, five minutes walk from major shopping attractions and business centres, ten minutes walk from the harbour and King Street Wharf, train station across the road, and situated in a safe area - what more could you want?!

Front desk & Concierge:
Lovely staff who couldn't have been more helpful. I often wonder at the negative comments made by people who say they waited to check-in, if they rush their own check-in? Waiting for five minutes while they check another guest in will not kill you. They were all polite and professional, what more could you want?

The room:
If I could've taken the bed and pillows home with me, I would have! I enjoyed a wonderful sleep and wish I'd stayed longer than one night. The room was clean and comfortable with modern decor. I wasn't in long enough to be 'offended' by the view of the next building, a garden-view room would've been wasted on me as I've never spent much time looking at the view from an inner CBD hotel room and I can't understand why guests can be so indignant that their view was of another building. I imagine it would be a different story if the hotel was located next to the sea, harbour, or mountain but it's inner CBD and no one is in their hotel room for long. Quiet, clean, and ultra comfortable...what more could you want?

The atmosphere:
A lovely, welcoming foyer that was enhanced by the grand piano on Friday night. What a lovely surprise that was! How many hotels afford their guests such a charming treat these days? Enjoying a glass of vino as the piano played while the frantic pace continued outside, was utterly spectacular. The Menzies has such an inviting atmosphere, I can't imagine anyone feeling uncomfortable.

The business centre:
Though this trip was for leisure I frequently visit Sydney for business. I was impressed on a personal and business level by the business centre that's available. Firstly, there's more than one computer/internet terminal set up in an internet cafe style but privately partitioned. Very impressed by the set-up because it's a cheaper alternative than paying for the Accor internet connection.

Other:
I wasn't there long enough to enjoy the gym or other amenities but I would LOVE to organise a function there. Shame I look after Brisbane events and not Sydney's ;)

Would I stay there again?
ABSOLUTELY! I travel to Sydney frequently for work and usually stay at The Grace Hotel. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to request The Menzies next time! What more could you want in a hotel?!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you "Walkabout" for such lovely feedback. You obviously appreciated and mood and feel of The Menzies and the services we offer, and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Sincerely - Michael Smith
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I can't believe it when i found this 4 star hotel at such a gd price (stay four nites to get the best deal, only that it's prepaid and cannot be cancelled) and can accomodate a family of four ( w 2 active kids). They have 2 double beds that fit us comfortably with gd central heating. So I was overjoyed when i learned that it's situated at such a convenience place. train station is right opposite and there's a coles supermarket above the station! there's all kind of eateries around and also found a sovenience shop(basement) around the corner selling at reasonable price. it's walking distance to about everywhere! For dining, don't miss out the food court at the basement of Myers (a few streets down). it's better than chinatown. pricing is reasonable, it's very clean and gd presentation. there's both western and asian cruisine. Oh, menzies staff are helpful too. infact, we plan to stay in this hotel longer next time to explore sydney and its surrounding. we need not buy any travel pass becos of it's excellent location!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Thank you "janet069" for your input. I am so pleased to see that our location and facilities suited your family so well, and look forward to welcoming you again.
Sincerely - Michael Smith
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

The room was spacious however incredibly noisy - especially the airconditioning and the street noise even though I was on the 8th floor. The room was fine apart from the noise. The location was great.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for your input "coconutsmoothie".
I'm so sorry to hear that you found your room noisy. The chilled water pipe project just being completed to upgrade the air conditioning in our south wing should rectify this.
I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again next time you're over here on the east coast.
South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We stay at this Hotel at least once a year. It is like one's favourite item of clothing or shoes - comforting and familiar! The service is great, as is the location. In addition, we consider it to be great value for money. All things considered, we can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you "levymal" for your lovely remarks. I'm pleased to see that we're your home away from home in Sydney and look forward to many more visits.
Earth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Nights of stay: May 15, 16, and 17, 2010
Room location: Second floor, facing inner building walls.
Odors: None
Cleanliness: No issues. Beds clean
Noise: None. Room cooling/heating central system with very silent fan
Staff: Very helpful, courteous even though some don’t know English.
Available Breakfast quality: Superb, better than excellent

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you "shebSAM" for your comprehensive feedback. I'm pleased to see that we met or exceeded your expectations in all aspects of your stay, and hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again on a future visit to Sydney.
Sincerely - Michael Smith, General Manager

Been to The Menzies Sydney? Share your experiences!