“What more could you want?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Menzies Sydney

You added The Menzies Sydney to your Saves list
The Menzies Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Carrington Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #89 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Queensland
“What more could you want?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Location:
Inner CBD, five minutes walk from major shopping attractions and business centres, ten minutes walk from the harbour and King Street Wharf, train station across the road, and situated in a safe area - what more could you want?!

Front desk & Concierge:
Lovely staff who couldn't have been more helpful. I often wonder at the negative comments made by people who say they waited to check-in, if they rush their own check-in? Waiting for five minutes while they check another guest in will not kill you. They were all polite and professional, what more could you want?

The room:
If I could've taken the bed and pillows home with me, I would have! I enjoyed a wonderful sleep and wish I'd stayed longer than one night. The room was clean and comfortable with modern decor. I wasn't in long enough to be 'offended' by the view of the next building, a garden-view room would've been wasted on me as I've never spent much time looking at the view from an inner CBD hotel room and I can't understand why guests can be so indignant that their view was of another building. I imagine it would be a different story if the hotel was located next to the sea, harbour, or mountain but it's inner CBD and no one is in their hotel room for long. Quiet, clean, and ultra comfortable...what more could you want?

The atmosphere:
A lovely, welcoming foyer that was enhanced by the grand piano on Friday night. What a lovely surprise that was! How many hotels afford their guests such a charming treat these days? Enjoying a glass of vino as the piano played while the frantic pace continued outside, was utterly spectacular. The Menzies has such an inviting atmosphere, I can't imagine anyone feeling uncomfortable.

The business centre:
Though this trip was for leisure I frequently visit Sydney for business. I was impressed on a personal and business level by the business centre that's available. Firstly, there's more than one computer/internet terminal set up in an internet cafe style but privately partitioned. Very impressed by the set-up because it's a cheaper alternative than paying for the Accor internet connection.

Other:
I wasn't there long enough to enjoy the gym or other amenities but I would LOVE to organise a function there. Shame I look after Brisbane events and not Sydney's ;)

Would I stay there again?
ABSOLUTELY! I travel to Sydney frequently for work and usually stay at The Grace Hotel. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to request The Menzies next time! What more could you want in a hotel?!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
TheMenziesSydney, Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
Thank you "Walkabout" for such lovely feedback. You obviously appreciated and mood and feel of The Menzies and the services we offer, and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Sincerely - Michael Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I can't believe it when i found this 4 star hotel at such a gd price (stay four nites to get the best deal, only that it's prepaid and cannot be cancelled) and can accomodate a family of four ( w 2 active kids). They have 2 double beds that fit us comfortably with gd central heating. So I was overjoyed when i learned that it's situated at such a convenience place. train station is right opposite and there's a coles supermarket above the station! there's all kind of eateries around and also found a sovenience shop(basement) around the corner selling at reasonable price. it's walking distance to about everywhere! For dining, don't miss out the food court at the basement of Myers (a few streets down). it's better than chinatown. pricing is reasonable, it's very clean and gd presentation. there's both western and asian cruisine. Oh, menzies staff are helpful too. infact, we plan to stay in this hotel longer next time to explore sydney and its surrounding. we need not buy any travel pass becos of it's excellent location!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
TheMenziesSydney, Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you "janet069" for your input. I am so pleased to see that our location and facilities suited your family so well, and look forward to welcoming you again.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

The room was spacious however incredibly noisy - especially the airconditioning and the street noise even though I was on the 8th floor. The room was fine apart from the noise. The location was great.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for your input "coconutsmoothie".
I'm so sorry to hear that you found your room noisy. The chilled water pipe project just being completed to upgrade the air conditioning in our south wing should rectify this.
I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again next time you're over here on the east coast.
South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We stay at this Hotel at least once a year. It is like one's favourite item of clothing or shoes - comforting and familiar! The service is great, as is the location. In addition, we consider it to be great value for money. All things considered, we can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you "levymal" for your lovely remarks. I'm pleased to see that we're your home away from home in Sydney and look forward to many more visits.
Earth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Nights of stay: May 15, 16, and 17, 2010
Room location: Second floor, facing inner building walls.
Odors: None
Cleanliness: No issues. Beds clean
Noise: None. Room cooling/heating central system with very silent fan
Staff: Very helpful, courteous even though some don’t know English.
Available Breakfast quality: Superb, better than excellent

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you "shebSAM" for your comprehensive feedback. I'm pleased to see that we met or exceeded your expectations in all aspects of your stay, and hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again on a future visit to Sydney.
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

The location is good, to the opera house is in walking distance,
The room is terrible, very old, a 4Star hotel without safety deposit box, No shower curtain, every time you shower wet everywhere, the mattress is old & any movement it makes the sound back to you. Never seem the air-condition controller like this I think over 20years old(Pls see my photo), one more surprise is the housekeeping can open my door without knock and also even I have double lock, the security chain stop the door open.
Breakfast is expensive, also no congee, hotel should provide at least one of Chinese food, reception is very busy one 2 staff stand there all the time.
No loyalty program, but its accor chain hotel.

27-29May2010

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
TheMenziesSydney, Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you "RichardSK" for your input. I apologise if you felt the hotel did not live up to your expectations. I am pleased to advise that the hotel does have safety deposit boxes available to guests at no charge and I'm sorry if you were not aware of this. We also participate in Accor's loyalty programme Advantage Plus. I acknowledge your suggestion that at least one Chinese food item be available at breakfast however I am sure you can appreciate the large variety of countries represented by our guests and it is not possible to cater to each ... however we do provide a wide selection of hot and cold items on our breakfast buffet.
I hope you had a pleasant journey home from your visit to Sydney and that we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed at the Menzies for four nights. I picked this hotel because I am a advantage plus member. I got the same rate as everyone else and I would say the same room. I asked for a view in my request. Yes i did get a view of the building across the lane way. I could be just and say that we ended up with this room because we arrived early, but we did not get a room until midday. The T.V. had a hum in it so they sent a guy up to fix that. Then the air con was cold so the same guy came back and fixed that. The Hotel never sent any apology for these things , but the repair guy did say sorry. Room was not properly cleaned, toiletries not refilled, sheets not changed for 4 days - we only asked for them to be changed on the second day, but it did not happen. I would stay somewhere else next time as it was not value for money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
TheMenziesSydney, Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, May 26, 2010
Thank you "bennyh" for your feedback. As you were kind enough to contact us direct we have responded to you via e.mail in regard to rates. Your comments regarding replenishment of room supplies have been passed to our Housekeeper and I thank you for this input. Please be assured that Advantage Plus members are valued guests at all Accor hotels and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.
Sincerely - Michael Smith

Been to The Menzies Sydney? Share your experiences!