“My Sydney home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Menzies Sydney

Save Saved
You added The Menzies Sydney to your Saves list
The Menzies Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Carrington Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #88 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“My Sydney home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm a creature of habit. I stay at Menzies 10 times p.a. not because of the décor but because of the service esp Thanh and Meredith, and the location. Guys don't care about bathrooms. They recently did a cool 50th anniversary, which made me think I probably stayed there about 45 years ago with my parents on business trips. We go back. Sure Sofitel (Wentworth) is swisher, but Menzies is home. They could refurb, but what happens to the rates then? (BTW, the toilet flushes by a switch on the wall - it's not a light...)
Cheers

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
h2977-gm01, General Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stays at The Menzies. It has been a true pleasure to receive your feedback.
I am humbled to read that The Menzies is home for you when staying in Sydney. I will be taking the time to share your comments with our staff who will be only too happy to hear.
It is also pleasing to read that you enjoyed our fiftieth birthday celebrations. They were most certainly enjoyed by our staff and many guests alike.
Once more, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I look forward to your next visit and hope that you will continue to enjoy staying with us here at The Menzies.
Warm regards,

3,238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Crookwell
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed at the Menzies because it was very central. I booked three rooms for my two sisters and I and their husbands to have a get together in Sydney over a 3 day weekend. Being a member of Accorhotels, I thought that would entitle us to something better. They gave us the worst rooms, one of which smelt of smoke and we requested non smoking. The TV's in all our rooms were very small, the volume loud on one channel and very soft on the next. There was no hair dryer in my room. The bath needed repair in our room and everything needed a revamp. For the price of the rooms I would have expected a lot better and maybe a reduction in the car parking, which was steep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Please allow me to begin by thanking you for the time that you have taken to share your comments regarding your stay at The Menzies.
I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. However, I am thankful for your feedback as it allows us to identify areas that are in need of improvement.
I apologise that you were disappointed in the standard of cleanliness in your rooms. I will be forwarding your feedback to our Housekeeping Department so that they may determine as to how the smell you noticed can be rectified. Additionally, I will also be informing our Engineering Department of your comments regarding the bath, so that they may repair this also.
You may be pleased to know that we are currently in the process of upgrading the televisions in our guest rooms, which will make a substantial improvement to this aspect.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the pricing of the car parking. I will be referring this to Wynyard Lane Car Park so that they are aware that pricing is a concern for our guests.
Again, I would like to thank you for both your time and comments. I hope that this stay did not deter you from returning to The Menzies, so that we may have the opportunity to better serve you and truly surpass your expectations in the future.
Yours truly,
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel was a complete let down and we felt mis-sold and over charged. We booked this hotel because it has an indoor pool, however it was undergoing renovation and out of action when we arrived, The hotel failed to notify us of this prior to our trip. The lobby is ok but the rest of the interiors look tired and shabby. The first room we were offered was on the ground floor - it had filthy windows, a massive chimney taking up most of the space and the bathroom was dreadful with concrete and dirty plaster on show. The bathroom in our second room was filthy with dust and grime under the sink - we asked for this to be cleaned but that did not happen. The reception desk is under staffed leading to long queues of people waiting to be seen. A sorry end to a holiday.

Room Tip: avoid the first floor and ask to see the room before you un pack because you may well be asking to b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to first extend my gratitude for the time that you have taken to share your comments following your stay at The Menzies. I appreciate this, as the value obtained from feedback received from our guests is unsurpassed.
I offer my sincere apologies that the pool was not available to you during your stay and that this was not communicated to you prior. Please be assured that this is only a temporary issue that is currently being rectified.
I am disappointed to read that the standard of cleanliness in your room was not to the standard that we at The Menzies hold ourselves to. I will be immediately referring the matter to our Housekeeping Department so that they can ensure this is corrected and prevented in the future.
As you may understand, The Menzies is one of the most historic hotels in Sydney, having recently celebrated it’s fiftieth birthday and consequently there are some aspects that are reflective of this. However, I assure you that we are committed to making improvements where possible and so your feedback in regards to this is very much appreciated.
Thank you, once again, for taking the time to post your comments. I hope that you will choose to visit The Menzies again so that we may seize the opportunity to serve you better and greatly exceed your expectations then.
Yours sincerely,
Michael Smith.

Been to The Menzies Sydney? Share your experiences!