“Missing some 21st century basics” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Menzies Sydney

You added The Menzies Sydney to your Saves list
The Menzies Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Carrington Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #89 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
“Missing some 21st century basics”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

No free wi-fi just simply unacceptable in 2013! Short sighted management charging for access to the net - I stayed four nights had breakfast at the hotel first morning then chose to eat and spend money elsewhere at establishments that provided free wi-fi enabling me to catch up on news from home, clear e-mails etc DUMB DUMB management! Staff fantastic, location superb, breakfast (the one I had) very good rooms slightly tired but not overly so. Won't stay again until wi-fi sorted as the management of this Hotel need a wake up call!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
h2977-gm01, General Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Please allow me to start by thanking you for taking the time to review your stay at The Menzies. I am appreciative of this as it allows us to understand target areas for improvement.
I am truly sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to extend my sincere apology for this.
I understand your concerns regarding the internet service that is currently provided. I assure you that we are currently in the process of assessing upgrading options to our internet services and will most definitely be taking pricing into account as we realize this is something our guests would like to see.
However, I am pleased to see your comments regarding our staff which I will be communicating this to them. Your feedback will serve as pleasant encouragement as they strive to reach excellence and distinction in providing guest experience.
Again, thank you for offering your feedback; it is extremely important to us. I hope that you will still consider The Menzies for future stays in Sydney, and allow us the opportunity to truly surpass your expectations.
Yours Sincerely,
Michael Smith.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Most attractions and restaurants are within a 15 to 20 minute walk. Enjoyed the full buffet breakfast each morning, especially the espresso machine. Opt for the B and B package which helped our family of four. Our first two nights were in a very worn and dark interior room with loud air conditioning on the top floor. The were holes on the walls and the carpet was very worn. We did not have a choice since we arrived late and the hotel was full. Three service carts blocked the hallway for a couple of days. Fortunately, the front desk was kind enough to exchange our room for one with a view facing the park on the 6th floor where we stayed our last night in Sydney. Concierge was helpful in making a restaurant recommendation and reservation.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a superior room facing the park
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Menzies, I am sincerely appreciative of the time that you have taken to do this.
Please allow me to apologise for the tribulations you experienced during your stay. I am understanding of your comments regarding the interiors of your room. As you may already realize The Menzies is one of the most historic hotels in Sydney, and thus some aspects may reflect this heritage. However, I am very pleased to be able to advise you that we are planning a refurbishment of the hotel in the near future, which will be a substantial improvement to its interiors.
I am pleased to know that our Concierge Team were helpful in recommending restaurants in our vicinity to you, I will be sharing your feedback with them, to which they will be satisfied to hear.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I hope that you will be returning to The Menzies, I will be looking forward to welcoming you back then.
Yours Truthfully,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great stay in Sydney at Menzies hotel, close to harbour and rail stations.
The breakfast was delicious lots of variety of foods. Service was excellent. Rooms clean and quiet. Porter service was prompt . Our car was unloaded as soon as we arrived and luggage taken straight to our room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Please allow me to begin by thanking you for commenting on your recent stay at The Menzies. We are appreciative of all feedback we are able to receive from our guests however, it is such a pleasure when it is positive.
I am extremely pleased to see that you received a high standard of service throughout your stay. I will personally be sharing your feedback with regards to our Porters with our Front Office Department who will be very satisfied to hear.
In addition, I will share your comments in relation to breakfast with our Kitchen and Food and Beverage Team, which will be a nice source of encouragement as they strive to deliver an exceptional service and product.
I would like to thank you once more for offering your feedback, as it is very important to us. I hope that you will revisit The Menzies in the near future so that we may truly exceed your expectations then.
Warm Regards,
Campbellfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Service was great, but the room was a bit tired. The bathroom taps kept dripping, which was amusing considering the little card reminding us to turn the taps off to save water. The elevators broke down for a few hours, and once they were fixed they were very slow, although the kind staff offered everyone a ride in the service lift. There was a strange mechanical noise coming from the wall all night which made it hard to sleep. It was very busy at breakfast and they kept running out of various dishes and crockery.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

h2977-gm01, General Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Menzies. I truly appreciate this as it is extremely important to attaining our goal of providing an excellent guest experience.
As you may already be aware, The Menzies is one of the most historic hotels in Sydney and thus there are some aspects that are reflective of this. I apologise for the tribulations you encountered with the lifts during your stay, however I am pleased to know that our staff were accommodating. It is gratifying to be able to inform you that we are currently in the process of planning a refurbishment for the hotel in the near future which will be a considerable improvement to its interiors.
I will be sharing your feedback with regards to the dripping tap with our Engineering Department to that they can ensure it is immediately fixed. As The Menzies is committed to environmentally sustainable practices, I am thankful that you have drawn this to my attention.
Please allow me to extend my apologies for the noise that you experienced throughout your stay. I will be making note of this and pursuing as to where it was coming from and how it may be prevented or reduced.
I will also be communicating your comments in relation to breakfast with our Food and Beverage and Kitchen Departments so that they may ensure that they are implementing the most efficient procedures to prevent future occurrence of this issue. Please accept my genuine apologies that your experience at breakfast did not meet your expectations.
Once again, I would like to thank you for providing your feedback. I hope that you will still consider staying at The Menzies for future visits to Sydney, and offer us the opportunity to truly serve you better then.
Yours Truthfully,
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

From the front desk to the bars and breakfast this is a very warm and welcoming hotel. My wife and I and some members of here family stayed for three days. The service was always with a smile. The beds are very comfortable and the location puts you near Circular Quay and some great restaurants and pubs. This where we will be staying when we visit Sydney from now on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you have taken to submit your comments following your stay at The Menzies. It is a delight to receive such positive feedback.
Please allow me to graciously thank you for your kind and solicitous comments.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel; it has such close proximity to all of Sydney’s infamous attractions and venues.
It is also pleasing to see your thoughts regarding our service, a comment that I will personally be sharing with them. It is a nice source of encouragement and inspiration for our staff as they strive towards achieving excellence and distinction in providing guest experience.
Thank you, once again, for providing your feedback. I will be looking forward to your return to The Menzies, and hope that we will continue to surpass your expectations then.
Yours Kindly,
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here for 12 nights and thought location was very good. Directly opposite Wynyard station and within walking distance of Darling Harbour and Opera house. Room adequate but at back of hotel so got constant noise from air conditioning unit on outside. Staff helpful and friendly especially the concierge. Only ate in dining room once, asked for soup and roll, waiter did not know what the soup was and actually tasted it but then had to ask someone else what the recipe was - it was carrot, bread came when I had almost finished and they put $1 dollar on to bill for donation to charity - would have been nice if they had asked first. Had a meal in Sports Bar and this was good and quickly served. Would stay here again if I was given better rate for single occupancy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
h2977-gm01, General Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at The Menzies Sydney. Your feedback is integral to us as it allows us to understand target areas for improvement.
I will be sharing your feedback with regards to the noise from the air conditioning with our Engineering Team, to establish if there is an action that may be taken to resolve this issue.
Please allow me to offer my sincerest apologies that your dining experience in One Four was not to your, or our, standard. I will be personally and immediately communicating this poor conduct with our Food and Beverage Team to ensure this does not reoccur.
It is pleasing to hear, however, that you enjoyed the Sporters Bar. I will share this feedback with the team there which will serve as positive reinforcement as they continue in striving towards providing an excellent guest experience.
I will also be discussing your feedback regarding the pricing for single occupancy with our Management team. We do offer several competitive deals during the year, but as you may understand, room pricing does vary throughout the course of the year.
I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Thank you, again, for submitting your comments it is truly appreciated.
Yours Sincerely,
Michael Smith

Been to The Menzies Sydney? Share your experiences!