“Good but could be great...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Menzies Sydney

You added The Menzies Sydney to your Saves list
The Menzies Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Carrington Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #96 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Good but could be great...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Firstly can I say that the staff at the hotel were fantastic, very courteous, friendly and helpful, both on check in and check out.

I stayed at the hotel for business so my expectations are always slightly less. The room itself was very tired and needs updating.

The carpet is worn and patchy, the walls are stained and the bathroom had cracks in the tiles and you could tell that they haven't been updated in many years. The room decor was well below par, but having said that it had been cleaned well (as well as it could be).

Althought the room wasn't impressive here are some things that made my stay satisfactory:

- The TV had Foxtel and worked well
- The mini bar wasn't over priced
- The iron worked well and was clean
- The shower had great pressure
- The bed was comfortable
- There was no noise disruption even though I was on the 1st floor

If the rooms were update, this hotel could score an excellent.

If there was a rating in between Average and Very Good I would have chosen it.

Room Tip: My room was at the back of the hotel and looked out into a closed courtyard - very quite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
h2977-gm01, General Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Please allow me to start by thanking you for taking the time to provide your feedback relating to your stay at The Menzies. Your feedback is essential in understanding aspects in need of improvement, and thus we are highly appreciative of it.
I am truly pleased to see your comments regarding our staff. I will be personally sharing this feedback with them, which will be a nice encouragement as they strive to attain excellence in customer service.
You will be very happy to know that we have plans to commence a refurbishment of the hotel in the near future, which will make a substantial improvement to its interior.
Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments on your stay. I hope that you will return to The Menzies in the near future, I will be looking forward to welcoming you back then.
Kind Regards,
Michael Smith.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
horsham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Location is spot on for ease of access to the big attractions in Sydney. Hotel presented very well, staff at the front counter were good, although for a busy hotel, only 2 staff were on the front counter and waiting times to get served were to long. Rooms are pretty comfortable however the heating in the rooms was quite hot and couldn't adjust in the room due to a/c being broken. Pretty ordinary night sleep with the room so hot. Would stay there again on my next trip to Sydney.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for providing your feedback following your stay at The Menzies. We are highly appreciative of this, as it is fundamental to achieving our goal of offering a superior customer service experience.
I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the centrality of the hotel’s location, with its close proximity to Sydney’s infamous attractions and venues.
Please accept my genuine apologies for the delays you experienced at reception. I will be discussing this feedback with our Front Office Department to review and make certain that the most appropriate processes are in place to ensure our guests receive efficient and prompt service on arrival and departure and throughout the course of their stay.
I will be communicating your feedback regarding the temperature in your room to our Engineering Department. This will ensure they are made aware of the issue and can commence working towards rectifying the matter.
Thank you, yet again, for taking the time to comment on your stay. I will be looking forward to your next visit, and hope that we can truly surpass your expectations then.
Yours Faithfully,
Albany, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Top points for location, and the hotel was clean, staff pleasant, rates reasonable and morning takeaway coffee from the lounge was pretty damn good - much better than any hotel coffee I've had. Great coffee though 3 doors down at the Organic cafe. Lifts a little dodgy and doors to corridor paper thin - but if you are tolerant - it really is a pain, not a make/break!

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for sharing your feedback in relation to your stay at The Menzies. We appreciate the time that you have taken to do this.
I will personally impart this feedback to our staff, and in particular our Food and Beverage staff in One Four. It is pleasing to know that they are achieving their objective of providing eminent customer service and products.
As you may already be aware, The Menzies is one of the most historic hotels in Sydney and unfortunately there are aspects which are reflective of this, such as the walls and lifts. I will however, be communicating your feedback in relation to the lifts to our Engineering Department, so that may coordinate a suitable arrangement to improve the efficiency of our guest lifts.
I would like to thank you again for taking the time to offer your feedback. It is integral to us here at The Menzies. I hope that you will consider The Menzies for future visits. I will be looking forward to welcoming you back then.
Yours Truly,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

As far as central city Sydney hotels go, the Menzies represents exceptional value. From the professional service, to the pleasant bar, the spacious and clean rooms, close proximity to train station and available parking, it's all you need for a central stay.

There is a great little cafe a few doors down for breakfast, the bar had a pianist and served exceptional cocktails and there are many great restaurants surrounding. I didn't eat at the hotel, though am sure the food would be good.

It's not the Hilton, but then the prices certainly aren't either. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay there - nice to encounter value!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing your feedback following your stay at The Menzies. I am truly appreciative of this.
It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay, and found it to be of good value.
I will be sharing your feedback in regards to the friendliness of our staff and the Piano Bar with our Front Office and Food and Beverage Departments. This will be a pleasant source of encouragement for them as they strive towards their objective to provide a preeminent experience for our guests.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel’s superlative location, as it has great immediacy to many renowned attractions and venues.
Thank you, yet again, for taking the time to review your stay. I hope that you will be returning to The Menzies in the near future, and allow us to further surpass your expectations then.
Yours Kindly,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very old style hotel, room was completely outdated bathroom was old and gross, room was very hot and didnt offer aircon just some old style thermostat on the wall, location is alright but definately fresher hotels in the area, very over priced for what it is, needs a revamp for sure, elevator scared me very noisy and old, would never stay here again, buffet breakfast is $31 and not anything special, only good part is my bed was very comfy and the pillow was a cloud however woke up to the disapointment of still being in a room from the 1800's - book elsewhere if your staying longer than overnight and plan on seeing the room in daylight - no pay tv either you can rent a movie for a steep $16 tv is the size of a laptop computer screen

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments following your stay at The Menzies. I am truly appreciative of this, as our guest feedback is integral to achieving our goal of providing a preeminent guest experience.
I would like to express my sincere apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations, and it is deeply disappointing to hear that you would chose not to return to the hotel.
I understand your viewpoint in regards to the hotel’s interiors. As you may understand, The Menzies is one of the most historic hotels in Sydney, and some aspects are unfortunately reflective of this. However, you may be pleased to know that we do have plans to commence a refurbishment of the hotel in the near future, which will be a significant enhancement. In addition to this, we are also in the process of replacing the televisions in our guest rooms, which too will be a considerable improvement.
I will be immediately discussing your feedback with regards to the temperature control in your room with our Engineering Department so that they may start developing a resolution to this problem.
Please be assured that we do currently offer Foxtel in our guest rooms, and I will be personally pursuing as to why you were unable to access this during your stay. I express my genuine apologies for this.
Furthermore, in relation to your feedback concerning our Buffet Breakfast, I will be taking note of this and discussing it with our Management Team.
Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact myself on (02) 9299 1000.
I would like to again take the opportunity to thank you for your feedback. I hope that you will still consider The Menzies for future visits, and allow us the occasion to better serve you and truly exceed your expectations then.
Warm Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is a fine old Sydney institution. The staff are outstanding and the service is excellent. It's in a great location for taxis, trains and buses and of course the shops are all around the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

h2977-gm01, General Manager at The Menzies Sydney, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. Looking forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

With thanks,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

A lovely classic hotel in a very good position. There was no noise during the night and the room was very comfortable. A short walk to the quay and the rocks and also close to transport. Parking is nearby and 24 hour. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I'm glad to hear that you took advantage of the locality of the hotel and had an enjoyable stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Michael Smith

Been to The Menzies Sydney? Share your experiences!