“An interesting and good experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels

You added Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels to your Saves list
Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   229 Darlinghurst Rd | Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia   |
Ranked #66 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“An interesting and good experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Kirketon Hotel has a very unique feel to it. There are creepy movies playing in the hallways with long red carpets and mirrors lining the hallways making you feel like you are in a bit of a fun house. The room and amenities were very nice as well as the service. Nice fun restaurants not far while also a 20-25 minute walk right downtown Sydney. I would recommend for a different hotel experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
KirketonManager, Manager at Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear MNtravelers7,
Thank you for your recent review.
The team and I are delighted to read that you capture the unique experience you can have at the Kirketon.
We try to offer an oasis of tranquillity in a buzzing city.
We can't wait to welcome you again soon!

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

A great boutique - this is my choice for any business trip. The locaiton is perfect for getting to meetings in East Sydney.

The rooms are small yet perfect for a short stay - The beds are comfy & only downside is the staris up to the room levels.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
KirketonManager, Manager at Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Maddstaa,

Thank you for review.
The team and I are happy to see that you like the Kirketon Hotel.
The hotel is in a gorgeous heritage listed building therefore we have no permission to build a lift but you can always request a room on level one every time that you book with us.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you soon!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

Staff pleasant and helpful. We should have realised from the drapes hanging down from the ceiling in the reception that it was going to be a horror nite... The rooms are dark and dingy the sofa looks like something you would find on a verge bulk collection, the bed had wheels missing the painted walls looked like that they let school kids pratice there painting skills in fact pre primary kids... The bathroom hahahaha now that's the best I got in the shower and turned it on, well the shower head is a tin can with holes in it screwed to the ceiling with the best water saving shower head ! I felt dirtier getting out the shower... Sorry but what a dump... The manager was very polite and understanding and gave me a massive discount.. Top marks for him but ruined my stay in Sydney , but hey what an experience ..

• Stayed January 2012
KirketonManager, Manager at Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Dumpsville,

Thank you for your latest review.
The team and I are disappointed that you didn't like your stay at the Kirketon.
I do understand that our design and decor are different to what you were expecting and you may have been misled by information given to you at the time of the booking.
The Kirketon is a small and relaxing hotel with great staff and a quirky feeling and I accept that this is not everyone's cup of tea.
I would like to point out that the refund was simply a good gesture for the misleading information you have received by the third party agent and it had nothing to do with the fact that you didn't like the hotel.
I am pleased to share with you that we are looking into upgrading our bathrooms soon.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Kirketon Hotel 20-24 January 2012. Must say that I had a great stay because of the hotel's service and excellent location. It's in Darlinghurst, with proximity to the shops along Paddington, the cosy neighbourhood of Surry Hill with quaint shops, cafes, restaurants, and easy access to bus connections to beaches along the Eastern Coastal Walk. The hotel is along Darlinghurst road, near William Street, and parallel to Victoria Street, with a good choice of restaurants/cafes/cafeteria, an amazing gelato shop (Messina), convenience stores, a small supermarket - all the amenities you'll need etc. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Checking in/out was casual, relaxed and fuss free. The rooms are stylish, clean and very comfortable. My friends met me at the bar downstairs for drinks, and the vibe was lively and happening.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager2010, Manager at Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Justinivixch.

Thank you for your review. The team and I are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We praise ourselves for the level of service we love to deliver to our guests and the team is always friendly and genuine.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I based my decision to stay at the Kirketon on reviews and also on its location. My immediate first impression was that the staff were friendly and helpful and helped us get into our rooms for an earlier check in. The room was facing the street but was very quiet and nicely done with all your need for a weekend trip - I did get a large room from a handy free upgrade offered via Agoda. The bathroom was clean but tiles were starting to deteriorate - it may be time to update your bathrooms! The bar seemed to be a bit of a hip nightspot but did not deter the hotel operations. There's a brilliant little French cafe across the street which we loved and even if there are no in-house room service facilities, the hotel offers a take-away service from surrounding restaurants... but why would you? It's such a close lunge to the city!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager2010, Manager at Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear naiima,

Thank you for your recent review.
The team and I are happy that you have enjoyed your stay at the Kirketon.
I am happy to share with you that we are working on redesigning our bathrooms sos maybe next time you will stay with us we can surprise with a brand new bathroom.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you soon!

london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

After reading reviews here and finding many above average reviews I opted for this over the Mantra 2 Bond Street as it was for a honeymoon trip therefore a 'boutique hotel' experience should have been more appropriate - WRONG
Firstly - this is NOT a boutique hotel (note to Kirketon management team - if you get a chance check out the Luxe Manor in Kowloon Hong Kong which IS a boutique hotel for inspiration)
We arrived at 8:30am to a warm friendly reception and an explanation that as it can get noisy downstairs (gulp) would we prefer to wait until after 2pm for a 2nd floor room which would be quieter. OK let's go out for a few hours and kill time....
Return at 2pm to the same 'friendly' receptionist who then after a while standing there said 'how can i help you?' A bit shocked I responded 'we would like to check in?' and then was asked my name again having already given credit card details earlier. When I pointed out that we had already met I was given a curt 'well many people pass by here at reception...it is a hotel' Wow what a change 5 hours makes!
Then I was told that there was no lift and he 'hadn't had a chance to get luggage to the room'. He looked panicked that he may be asked to still take the cases so we said we would take them ourselves. When he brought them right around before I had a chance to speak further he looked really irritatated that we wanted to get into the room and drop some shopping and hand luggage first. Great start...
Inside the room which IS tiny - regardless of location or room options these are SMALL. There is less then 3 ft of space between the end of the the double bed and the wall. The bathroom was grotty - grey tiles with dull and mouldy grout everywhere. No bath and standard toiletries of shower gel / shampoo / conditioner nothing else (not very boutiquey).
Basically my husband summed it up when he said - it is a hostel with some posh trimmings. Harsh but as far as the the standard room is concerned, true.
Public areas are better - nice low lighting with interesting and soothing design.
There is no room service - unless you count calling reception who will order take away from a local restaurant and deliver to your room at a much elevated price.
The internet which is $15AUS per day was not working the entire time I was there (10 long days) so as far as the managements comments on an earlier review about not keeping hard copies of phone books, brochures etc goes - well this was a good example of why you SHOULD keep them.
There is no breakfast option - period. Downstairs the restaurant and bar are managed separately. Again most boutique hotels would have this as standard. However the bar is a fun vibrant place to be at night and seemed popular but as this doesn't belong to 8 hotels - kind of irrelevant to this review.
The location IS great - very central to Kings Cross / Darlinghurst area which is just as well as if you stay there you will likely want to be out most of the time.
The rooms were not serviced well - if at all.
Most days somebody came in and made the bed. That was it.... no hoovering - no cleaning in the bathroom - nothing. I experimentally decided not to clean away a long black hair from a previous guest in the shower cubicle - it is probably still there.
One day we left a little later at a 10:30am and came back to not even a made bed (annoying as the linen doesn't fit correctly and comes undone when you sleep - the duvets don't even have a cover - just a sheet top and bottom)
When we told reception later we were told it was because we had a DnD sign on. This was removed when we left the room and we even said hello to the housekeeping boy when leaving the room.
Basically the housekeeping is bad - never cleaned or hoovered. We were there 6 days before they even changed the bed for fresh linen (which also didn't fit) Toiletries were sparcely replaced too.
You can't open the windows due to 'health and safety' whatever that means.
I think my main problem is that I was expecting a boutique hotel which the kirketon really isn't. Maybe my own mental definition of boutique hotel is off but I believe it means a small nicely designed and maintained hotel with all the trimmings you would expect.
(anyway to prevent a disagreement on this try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_hotel for a genrally accepted definition. I would especially ask the management team to review this and cross reference it with the kirketon.)
Well it is certainly small...and the design is nice but that's it. If that's all your after - then don't worry - enjoy your stay. If you expect more than please - spare yourself the upset when you arrive and book elsewhere.
By the way the rude ish receptionist was not seen the rest of our stay and all the other reception staff (all male) were so nice and friendly so I hope none of them get told off. THis is not a staffing issue - it is a management and housekeeping issue.
It could so easily be fantastic with the right services; breakfast option, room service option, cleaning better, more toiletries, bathrooms updated, room furniture updated etc etc. but right now it needs addressing to be anywhere near what it appears to be on the website.
I feel I could go on but in the interest of putting people off reading the review and also rubbing salt into the wounds I think this will do. Needless to say I won't be booking an 8 hotel again or recommending them until I hear they have improved.
The extra rating above Terrible is for the location and the staff. Therefore I opted for just 'Poor'

Room Tip: Try a deluxe room if you must stay but unless you're a hamster - a standard will not satisfy you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jakamos,

Thank you for your recent review.
I appreciate you took the time to list everything that you didn't enjoy during your stay.
Your keen eye and attentive analysis will help us understanding what went wrong and it will help us improving all those areas that you have extensively described.
I would like to point out that when we have early arrivals, we always do our best to welcome our guests and the team noticed that you were a long stay therefore they informed me about about potential noise issues. The team put your interest first hence why they informed you that a quiter room could be ready later on the day and definitely earlier than our 3pm guaranteed check in time.
We do everything we can to inform that our standard rooms are designed for single occupancy and we leave the choice to our guests. We also have amazing Premium Rooms, Executive Rooms and Superior Rooms and all these rooms offer extra comfort as they are more spacious.
We do provide toiletries from Romy which is one of the most well known brands in Australia.
We do offer free internet to all our guest since the 1st October 2011 and a free password is provided from the reception team, it will be interesting to find out what has happened to your free connection during your stay.
As you have pointed out, the restaurant and the cocktail bar are owned separately so we decided to opt for an external room service as the other option was not to have a room service at all.
We praise ourselves for the level of hygiene and the high standard of housekeeping.
As part of our standards, the bed linen is changed every two nights and we follow a nationwide rotation system and we also try to push a more ecological friendly approach. We always invite our guests to request extra linen changes if they feel the need.
Providing a 24 hours service gives us the chance to assist our guests constantly and we invite our guests to get in touch with us as soon as something doesn't seem to be right so we can correct it and make sure that we can take immediate action.
Your review has highlighted some areas for improvement and we will work to make sure that everything will be up to our usual standards.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed in Kirketon for 4 nights in November 2011. The hotel is situated perfectly, it's quiet, but still nearby everything. Across the streets there are many coffee shops and great places for breakfast.

The hotel is decorated quite dark, but is very stylish. We had a small room, but for 4 nights that was ok. Loved the hotel because of the super friendly staff and the location! Just a small stroll up to Paddington and Surrey Hills (<- very cool area!)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Kath2011Norway,

Thank you for your recent review.
The team and I are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the Kirketon.
You are right about the good location: this is the perfect place to start discovering this vibrant suburb and this amazing city!
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again!

The Management

Been to Kirketon Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels? Share your experiences!