“Pretty Average Hotel, Excellent Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Capitol Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Capitol Square Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Campbell Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #133 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Forbes, Australia
“Pretty Average Hotel, Excellent Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here for a night when I went to a concert in the city.

I love the capitol square building, with it's Japanese style pachinko and UFO catcher arcade and excellent restaurants, and always make a point of going there when in Sydney. This hotel is right upstairs from there, so made sense to stay here as that's where we would be having dinner.

Chinatown and the entertainment centre are just across George street as well.

I found the rooms to be a bit dowdy, but no worse than any other 3 star property in Sydney.

The bed was comfortable, clean and quiet and I've stayed in other places in Sydney that cost a lot more and didn't tick all of those boxes.

Unfortunately Sydney is very expensive when it comes to rooms, so anything under $150 pn is cheap. I got the room for around $120 a night and I think that's pretty competitive for this class of hotel in Sydney.

If you are on a budget you probably won't get a better location for the money. Don't expect luxury though.

The only real annoyance during our stay was due to the rudeness of another guest, who took her frustrations about the cramped lobby out on my partner and I, who happened to be in her way as she stomped through, despite our best attempts to make room.

Back on subject, I would stay here again, the price is right and you get what you pay for, right in the heart of the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback during your recent visit. I agree, the hotel is in an excellent location and you're not wrong about those restaurants in the Capitol Square Building, I am often down there struggling to decide what to eat. I was also pleased to see that you found the hotel to be good value for money.

Thank you again for providing this feedback regarding your recent stay. Being in the hospitality industry guest feedback is vital in understanding any flaws the hotel may have that need to be rectified or any strength’s that need to be acknowledged. Comments such as yours are so valuable to staff and I here in the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to Capitol Square Hotel for a future visit.

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family of 3 stayed here mid week to catch a show. Location is excellent for that. We were also able to walk to Pitt St Mall, the QVB and China Town with ease. Darling Harbour would also be an easy walk.
The Hotel has enough to make it comfortable. We knew what we were paying for and that was location, a bed and a shower. It provided all three. If you want sculptures in the foyer and mini bar look elsewhere.
Car park will cost you $30 if you leave by 11am.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Capitol Square Hotel in Sydney. I was pleased to read that you found your stay "comfortable" and in an "excellent location". Everything you have pointed out in your comments is everything we try to achieve at the hotel, a Bed, a Shower and a great location at a reasonable price. The parking unfortunately is not owned by the hotel and is managed by a separate company; it is still one of the cheapest parking options in the CBD.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel. I hope we will be able to welcome you and your family back to the hotel for a future stay.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed for a few days in May 2012. The rooms were depressing, very basic, old school bed sheets, TV, desk, side tables etc.. bathroom needs doing up. Generally, the whole place needs a revamp. If you're on a budget stay here but don't expect much. Only the location is very good and breakfast is OK, but rooms are not.

It's right at the doorstep of George St which is where all the shops are, it's a ~45 minute walk to Sydney Opera House etc.. but it's down the main road so it's a decent walk and <5mins from the main train station.

some of the staff were a bit moody and not friendly.

I doubt I would stay here again, I remember thinking that it was OK for the £ paid but you would rather spend a bit more and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney. I was pleased to read that you found the hotels location suited to you and your needs during your time in Sydney. We are located directly on George Street which is one of the main roads running directly through the heart Sydney. Darling Harbour is a 15 minute walk, Circular Quay 30 minutes and the Opera House 45 minutes. If you don’t feel like walking Central Station is less than 10 minutes away where Buses, Trains and Trams leave regularly heading to all parts of the CBD.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Sydney. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to a future stay at Capitol Square Hotel.

Scone, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very disappointing hotel.
Very basic room, old and in need of a revamp. Lift was broken and had to walk up 4 flights of very dirty smelly stairs. Very expensive compared to others in similar area. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the lift being out of service. Due to a maintenance issue (out of the hotels control) it was inactive for some time until our contracted technicians were able to fix it. I was unaware of the state of the emergency exits until I checked them after your comments. I agree they do have a very unwelcoming smell. As they are hardly ever used I was unaware of this. I have instructed a team to give the emergency exits a thorough clean.

I hope with this information has set your mind at ease in regards to the hotels overall image. We pride ourselves on being a well valued 3 and ½ star hotel in the Sydney CBD. We hope we will be able to welcome you back for a future stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney.

Coffs Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel. There aren't too many places in Sydney CBD that offer clean comfortable Accomodation for the price of the Capitol Square Hotel - I had a very warm welcome, my room was clean, spacious with a great view over Chinatown. The bed was comfortable and quiet, despite the 10,000 odd people filtering past the hotel at 11pm after a Radiohead concert!!
I had a very filling breakfast for less than $20 (would have been less if I had of exudes to pre pay!!) after very quick check out I walked 100 meters to the light rail.
I'm very happy and will be back!!

• Stayed November 2012
What a delightful review. I was so pleased to read your glowing comments about your stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney. We pride ourselves on being a well valued 3 and 1/2 star hotel in the Sydney CBD. The team work tirelessly on presentation and guest satisfaction and it is so great to see all this hard work is paying off. I look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We booked a twin room for 3 nights and it was fine but I wouldn't want to stay much longer.
This is an old hotel in need of a revamp but it was cheap, clean, comfortable, in a great location and all the staff we dealt with were friendly.

The main thing to consider before booking a twin room here is that the hotel only issues 1 room key which we found weird and inconvenient.

I am very happy to say that almost a month after our booking I realised I had left some clothing behind, 1 quick phone call and the hotel arranged for my items to be sent to me the next day! :)

Room Tip: We booked a smoking room on the 4th floor (room 410) and we didn't experience any of the interna...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to express your opinions regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney. Please accept my gratitude for your feedback in particular mention to receiving only one room key. I agree this is a problem and I am currently looking into a solution. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel for a future stay.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great location with shoping and eateries very close, room was reasonably small but were only staying 1 night. Nothing fancy but room very clean with bed comfortable. Staff friendly and the buffet breakfast hits the spot in the morning. Good value and spot for a night stay in the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay at Capitol Square Hotel Sydney. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotels location and facilities. I hope we can welcome you back for a future stay.

Michael Sharp

Been to Capitol Square Hotel? Share your experiences!