“Forget the outside, the rooms are great.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Stellar

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Stellar to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Stellar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Wentworth Avenue, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #35 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Forget the outside, the rooms are great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

First impressions on a rainy morning of a grey building on a busy road were not good. The small reception area and simple lounge were a further worry, but the room we had, at the rear of the property was excellent. It was large, not at all noisy, had a good kitchen area and large bathroom.

The staff were very helpful, including letting us rest our weary heads by making the room available four hours before the advertised time.

The position was good, we were able to walk to the city centre and there were plenty of eating places around the corner in Oxford Street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear. We didn't experience those at the front but know the rear-facing one...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Finding a hotel which is not very expensive in Sydney central with secure parking is not an easy ask. My first time in Sydney was in 2007 when I put up in a YHA in Sydney central and the parking was a nightmare for my motorcycle! The location is very near to the CBD and walkable. A convenience store is in the next building. There is also a disc a couple of buildings away and if you enjoy nightlife there won't be any dearth of it in the center. The view from my room was directly at a traffic signal, but the windows were beyond effective in filtering the noise away. The room had three windows which allowed for a great working ambience with a lot of natural light. It was overall quite 'quiet' which I definitely prefer as I am bonkers after a good night sleep. The secure parking though costs a little bit extra, but if you have an expensive bike / car then this is the way to go! There is also a nice cafe in the hotel itself which can offer breakfast or dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here on business one night this week and got this room very cheap on Hotwire. I have to say that this hotel is a real little gem, for the price.

I stayed in a very clean and comfortable studio room with a kitchenette and very good bathroom facilities.

The room had obviously been recently upgraded, there is some work going on downstairs (a future cafe perhaps?), there are not many rooms in this hotel at all..there were probably only 6 in total on the 2nd floor where I stayed. Fantastically comfortable bed as well.

Reception staff were very helpful and gave great advice on where to eat locally.

I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to others. Location is also good - try Stanley Street for some good local restaurants...Thai, Japanese, Italian, it's all there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We really enjoyed our recent three night stay, the Hotel proved to be a great choice.
Location: perfectly placed to walk to city shopping, Darling Harbour, Theatres, Kings Cross, Surrey Hills, and with Hyde Park virtually opposite, it provides a lovely green corridor down to the Botanical Gardens / Opera House. I (female 60yo) regularly walked late at night and did not at any time feel unsafe in this or surrounding area.
Accommodation: Room was presented immaculately clean, everything in the room worked, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and windows provided bright natural light. The kitchenette was again extremely clean and well equipped. We found the room to be extremely quiet, the windows are double glazed, but can be opened for those wanting fresh air.
Staff: Excellent staff, all making eye contact/spoke whenever I walked past reception, keen to help and assist. Definitely would recommend this Hotel as excellent value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

spent two nights in a very pleasant large room with double bed and two singles for older children the room had kitchen area and was smart clean and tidy.
The hotel is ideally located for easy access to Circular key (Opera House) a short walk takes you to the next street where you can hop on a free green route bus down to the key area and return.
We went on the Opera House guided tour well worth doing, we also went on the Manley beach ferry to get view of the Opera house from the water.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed here four nights in February. Checked in to find the door doesn't lock properly and needs to be slammed for the latch to just click in place. Very thin, buckled metal in the door frame meaning one kick would put the door in no problem. Reported to receptionist who said he would 'fix' the door for me. To my astonishment his 'fixing' involved coming up and swiping his card across the door a few times and then proclaiming 'I fixed it'. Very unhappy as the door was clearly defective but he refused my request to speak to the manager saying come back tomorrow. I went down to reception to find him on the phone to the manager and heard him reporting my concerns to him. When he saw me he hung up right away even as I was asking him to let me speak to the manager. The next day I spoke to the manager who was rude, abrupt and defensive of the staff. Told me I could get out and have the remaining three days refunded. I told him I wanted to do this yesterday but he still would not give me a full refund. I could not find alternative accomodation cheaper than this room (now I know why) and had to remain here so I demanded he get the lock looked at by a professional. He called the locksmith who came the next day and surprise surprise agreed it was faulty and put a new latch lock mechanism in the doorframe which remedied the problem. I said it was unfair that I had two nights when my partner and I didn't feel safe in the room in such a dodgy area or even to leave our things in the room. Customer services response: use the safe. Our response: safe was broken. Customer service reply: oh yes we checked it and you are right we will fix it right away. So they hand over rooms with broken safes, defective locks on the door, rude lying staff whom you don't feel you can trust with your belongings and then expect us to be happy with the service. Most insulting point: being given a bottle of champagne and chocolate (milk tray - no expense spared) to celebrate our special time together and then being told it would also have to double up as compensation for all the misgivings of the lack of security this hotel provides. An utter disgrace and I strongly urge anyone with valuables (people or possessions) to look into staying elsewhere. Oh and the breakfast consisted of warm, sweaty meat and cheese not kept in a refrigerator. Croissants were either burnt or stale. The only place in Australia we found that serves bad coffee. Unpleasant stains in the bathroom. Avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Bring a tent and sleep outside. It is probably safer and more secure.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DrQSydney, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Stellar, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear FranklyLondon,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you considered your room to be insecure. As pointed out at the time (and in many emails since) the door would close properly if the door closer was engaged – the only problem was if the door was closed extremely softly. We would never put any guest in a room with a lock that does not work. We did get maintenance to fix the problem and this was done during your stay and although we offered to move you to another room as soon as you reported the problem, you declined this offer. I am sorry you did not like our location in the vibrant locale of Hyde Park and Oxford Street but I hope we may see you the next time you visit Australia.
Kind regards,
Daniel Rosso
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

After reading the reviews, I decided to book this hotel and wasnt disappointed. We had a studio room with a king size bed and were pleasantly surprised by the spacious size of the studio and modern decor and lighting. The location is a really handy one with easy access to trains and the free city bus. The only down side is the breakfast was average but definitely would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Stellar? Share your experiences!