“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay

You added Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay to your Saves list
Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Summer Stay & Save Sale
Ranked #22 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Had a high corner room which was large. Huge comfy bed. Nice powerful shower (separate from bath).

The only things I didn't like were the large tv (not flatscreen but not really a problem) and I couldn't quite work out how to sort out the lights in the room properly.

Can't comment on food in the hotel but had a steak and chips from the Customs House Bar which was good and could charge to room.

I'd definitely come back here.

Just a tip - if you like hot chocolate and muffins I recommend going to Blend on George. Best hot choc ever - I used to work in Sydney and went there every day. I was so glad to find it was less than a 4 min walk from the Marriott.

• Liked — Location and Comfy bed oh and the room fridge
  • Disliked — Light Switches!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

The location of the hotel can hardly be better, one minute from Circular Quay and very close to The Rocks and the Opera House. Our room was of a good size and comfortable. The bed was good and no complaints about the bathroom either. However, there were a number of issues. Twice during our 7 day stay, we came home late in the afternoon to find that the room had not yet been made. After calling housekeeping this was resolved quickly but it should not have happened in a hotel of this caliber. Breakfast is just ok: standard international hotel fare but not outstanding in any way and at AUD35 per person somewhat pricey. The gym is very cramped and tends to get overcrowded. Hotel staff were polite but rather aloof. I give the Marriott Sydney Harbour 3 out of 5 for location and quality of the room. The lapses in service stop it from getting a higher rating.

• Liked — Location and quality of the room
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

We stayed two nights in this hotel, and it was in a great location. Our room was of a reasonable size and clean. As much as the staff that we interacted with were very polite and friendly, it didn't feel like a very personable hotel.

This hotel is in need of a refurbishment as it is quite dated, beds were not that comfortable, shower over bath with a shower curtain, bathroom was a bit daggy.

Hmm 5 star....I don't think so.

Stayed February 2009
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Was extremely disappointed in our stay at this hotel. Despite the fact that I had rung the hotel to get a guaranteed double double room (ie two double beds) with opera house views, when we arrived we were told that there were none available. Whilst they did offer to upgrade us to a suite, when we inspected it, the room was small, dark and would have required all furniture to be pushed against the walls to fit the rollaway bed in. I don't want to spend this sort of money to stay on rollaway beds. They did eventually find us a room (after a further hour and a half wait) so we didn't get into our room until 5pm. After yet another hours wait, we rang down to find out where our luggage had disappeared to... fortunately it did eventually turn up. Location was great and doorman was very helpful, but just didn't make up for the disappointingly small rooms.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Armidale, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Stayed there as a family of four. We had a double opera house view with valet parking and breakfast for two nights. Upon arrival 10am our room was not available, valet service was excellent. The room not being ready did not concern us as we were going to the zoo. As soon as we walked out to go the ferry the hotel rang and told us the room was available. Good service.
When we returned front desk was very good on both occasions. The room was on level 25 and had a good view of the opera house. The room was very clean and comfortable, i liked the furnishings. Slight wear and tear to the furniture but you would have to be nitpicking.
On the second day had a swim in the pool which is nice. Spa was broken. Sauna was good. Asked for late check out and got one till 2pm. Breakfast staff and food excellent. I couldn't believe how smooth things went. Check out and valet service excellent once again.
Did not have a problem with the lifts and never waited for long periods. Perhaps it wasn't busy as it was the Australia day long weekend.
We recently stayed at the Shangrila hotel in a premier grand harbour view room which admittedly did have a much better view.
However, they did not call us when our room was ready, the room was not as clean, staff not as pleasant, error on bill on check out.
Having two young kids (3 years old and 4months old) it helps when a hotel makes it such a smooth stay.

• Liked — lobby, room, staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

We spent 4 nights at this hotel. The position is excellent and only 2 minutes walk to Circular Quay. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. We had a city-view room and because we were on a high floor the view was still interesting but a lower floor would just be looking at another building.
The staff were pleasant and helpful. We did not have breakfast at the hotel as it was an expensive buffet and more food than we wanted. On the advice of a previous reviewer we had a fresh, delicious and very reasonable breakfast at Alpha Cafe which is immediately left out of the front entrance.
We would recommend Selah Restaurant across Loftus Street from the back entrance.
We had a very good price on this hotel on Lastminute.com Secret hotels so for the price it was a great stay but may not be our choice when we stay in Sydney again.

• Liked — The position
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I booked this through the Marriott website for two nights. I found it strange that they wanted me to prepay for the stay, but I went through with it anyway. My air travel was delayed and I ended up missing one of the two days that paid for. Marriott would not refund this. This is strike one for my Marriott loyalty.

The hotel is situated in a nice section of Sydney. Very close to the Opera House, the Rocks, and the Harbour Bridge. Very convenient for sightseeing. View from the hotel room is not that great . . . don't recommend paying more for the view.

The main problem (and a constant complaint from the guests) when I was there is the elevators. The elevators operate on key card access and several of the key cards do not work properly. This causes havoc with the guests because they cannot punch in their floor numbers and end up riding up and down the elevators. This transcends annoying when you are trapped in an elevator with 10-12 other people.

Also, the bell staff leaves something to be desired. I waited almost two hours for my bag when I arrived (also due to the elevators) and finally went down to the desk to get my bag myself and lug it to the room. If they hadn't practically insisted in helping me with my bags to the room, I wouldn't have bothered a minute with them.

Overall, a worse than average Marriott experience. People ranked this hotel pretty high, I however, found it to be nothing special and overpriced. After being there, I would have tried to stay at the Park Hyatt. Much better viewing. Much more convenient.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay? Share your experiences!