“Perfect location, great staff, good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay

Save Saved
You added Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay to your Saves list
Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Receive $100 credit
Ranked #25 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Ohio
“Perfect location, great staff, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights with my family, including spouse and two teenage children. Location is absolutely perfect for exploring Sydney and friendly staff made this vacation stay a pleasure! the hotel is a very short walk to ferry terminals and train station. Room was clean and beds very comfortable. We got a discounted rate using some airline points, so it was a very good value, but 'rack' rate would make this hotel a bit pricey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,758 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Two years ago, i spent 35 days at this hotel. Suffice it to say that we really got to know Jenny, Lin, Tattiana, and Victer who work the main restaurant at breakfast. They are the people who made that stay so memorable, especially in the eyes of my now 9 and 13 yearold. Well, i returned and it was like i just left last week. They remembered me and immediately asked how my wife and kids were. it is their customer service that makes this a great hotel. I'm not sure about the management as I never heard from them. You would think after such a long stay that I would have had some sort of acknowledgement of returning but that's par for the course as we didn't get the same service when we were there last time. Either management is too busy or management doesn't care.
Now let me talk about this stay. When I checked in the first room I was givien had a strange odor and so I called to complain they were very responsive and I was moved to a better room. Once moved, all I can say is the room with fantastic, the view of the Opera House perfect, and the customer service great. There isn't anything wrong with this hotel it is an upscale Marriott. The lounge is a great place to eat and if your breakfast is included in your room rate, eat there as is even better. The hotel is close to everything you want to see in downtown Sydney including the Opera House, the rocks, Botanical Gardens, the ferry terminal and the mall.
As some people have said about the rate, be sure to fight for a good view especially if you purchased it. Ask for a high floor facing the Opera house or the iron bridge.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. The room had a view of the Harbour Bridge. As with all Marriott Hotels the room was exceptionally clean although a bit on the small side and bedding comfortable as always. The room had been updated with a new bathroom. The bath was taken out which made for a larger shower recess, but quite narrow when using the toilet. My main issue was with the bar staff and wait staff. We decided to have a drink in the bar one evening and our first drink was promptly received, but the second drink just never arrived and we found the guy at the register to be rather rude. There were three couples in the bar so it's wasn't busy. We decided to have the buffet for dinner and were extremely disappointed with selection on offer and in the morning our breakfast didn't go smoothly when ordering our hot drinks. We waited so long for our coffees. The position of the hotel is ideal for tourists and all in all it was a pleasant stay in Sydney.

• Stayed August 2013
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for business. I had a wonderful view of the Opera House. The Executive lounge was a great value and good breakfast options. From this floor the views were spectacular. The Opera House is a 5 minute walk away. There are many great restaurants and bars in walking distance. Bring your wallet though, nothing is cheap in Sydney.

Petaluma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had multiple issues with the hotel's main restaurant. I went to the restaurant my first evening at the hotel. I was promptly seated and decided to order from the menu. Unfortunately the item I wanted was not available, which happens. I understand that. I wasn't sure whether to then do the buffet or order something else, so I went up to review the buffet. Before doing so however, I order a glass of wine. I returned from the buffet (after deciding to eat from the buffet) expecting to have a glass of wine waiting for me, which it was not. I waited another 3-4 minutes before the waitress finally came up, confused as to which glass of wine I wanted. I then waited another 5 minutes or more while she disappeared before I finally asked someone else (the bartender perhaps? He was walking across the floor, near my table). Finally my wine arrived, probably 15 minutes after I order it!

I did end up doing the buffet, which frankly was a mistake. The selection was not impressive and the quality of the food was mediocre at best. For example, I had some pork roast with an apricot glaze/sauce. The flavor was okay, but it was nearly impossible to cut the meat it was so dry and gristly. And vegetables that appeared to have been steamed were old and limp - very overcooked and disappointing.

While I was eating my waitress avoided me altogether. I finally got her attention to ask for more water. She was extremely nervous and ill-trained - she seemed very new. Overall she was completely incompetent. I also waited close to 15 minutes after eating, sitting with an empty plate waiting for her to take it and bring my check. I finally had to ask for it.

Overall for a Marriott of this caliber and in this location, the restaurant is an embarrassment. The service and quality of the food were both completely inadequate and very much below expectations for such a hotel. I don't know that I would rule out staying at the hotel again, but the lack of dining options and the poor quality mean I would seriously consider other alternatives and I definitely would not eat at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to request a room with a view - either the bridge or the Opera House are worthwhil...
Wilmington, De
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Centrally located for touring key places and one block if that to the Harbour. Take a ride on the ferry to Manly Beach for the day!!!. Train station is right at the ferry for the airport which is also great. Do your self a favor and upgrade to the Opera House view and watch the sunsets in the morning. I was also able to watch the Carnival Spirit sail out. Room is very nice with Marriott bedding and very comfortable. The only downside is that I did not choose this hotel for the full week and only two days which was my loss!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Sydney Opera House view.
Elgin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Marriot. Paid extra for a view of the Opera house which we did get but you only see the 'back end' so with hindsight a bridge view might be better but I am splitting hairs really. Perfect location for seeing the sights. A ferry trip to Manly is a must if only for the views on the way back. Taxis always available and numerous restaurants to choose from.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay? Share your experiences!