“Nice, but needs some work...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pullman Sydney Hyde Park

You added Pullman Sydney Hyde Park to your Saves list
Pullman Sydney Hyde Park
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 College Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #44 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice, but needs some work...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Nicely located, a short stroll across Hyde Park to the heart of the city and plenty of great restaurants and bars in nearby Darlinghurst and Surry Hills. My room was on the Eastern Suburbs side of the hotel so had a nice view out to the harbour. The room was a good size, well cleaned and comfortable, but the decor is a bit dated and disjointed. The bathroom was very large, but once again showing its age. They are undergoing a refurbishment at the moment so hopefully this gives the hotel a fresh look.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Eugene H, Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Melbtraveller09,

Thank you for your recent comments on TripAdvisor. We are completing some refurbishment work in the hotel that includes upgrading of all our rooms and public areas.

I hope we will see you again in the future.

Eugene Human

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I must admit it was a little disappointing to arrive after 20 hours of travel time to a hotel under construction, so it took a day for this hotel to grow on me. After traveling throughout Australia and staying in many hotels, I felt the Pullman was definitely the best of the bunch.
Great location, nice gym, friendly staff, the room was big enough for all of our stuff, and it had a giant tub (even if the tile was tacky, but now I'm nitpicking). I don't think our room had been renovated yet, but it was nice enough. I wasn't disturbed by the work being done on the hotel, however it was somewhat inconvenient to have the lobby on the 2nd floor when schlepping bags.

Although it feels like a business hotel, I think it's fine for anyone. Luckily, we booked our room with the breakfast included, as it turns out Australia can be pricey for Americans. Normally, we're more adventurous with that kind of thing, but the breakfast buffet was really nice and the staff in the restaurant was lovely. We had ample opportunity to sample many of the restaurants in nearby Surry Hills.

Room Tip: Probably best to request a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eugene H, Manager at Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park .

We are happy to see that you found our hotel comfortable, and enjoyed your stay with us.

We are also pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and all the facilities on offer.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park sometime in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here on our first night in Sydney, arriving at 11pm in the dark! We were aware there were renovation works underway to some rooms and the lobby however the temporary lobby was really impressive so I can only imagine that the new lobby will be outstanding. The room was amazing - very modern and immaculately presented being newly renovated. The bathroom looks like the original so a bit dated but massive bath and still very very nice! We had a huge window in the room and upon waking up had the most amazing city and sea view that really took our breath away. The pool, gym and spa look as though they could do with a spruce up but still impressive with amazing views! You could hear some building noise in the day but we were out for most of it so made no issue for us at all. Cant wait to see the end result of this hotel and we will defiantly come back given the fantastic location and predicted finish!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Minirick,

Thank you for your recent review of Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, I hope we will see you again when you are next in Sydney.

Kind regards,

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

this hotel is doing renovation during Australian day long weekend. It make aloud noise. I couldn't sleep at all. I have complain to hotel a few times. they changed my oom from lower floor to higher flood. but it is still same. and they keep telling me ask them stop it but renovation has never stopped. then they said to me they can change me back to lower floor. if the renovation doesn't stop what's the point i change back to lower floor?they only offter me one chocolate for this. they said me I can get half price breakfast but actually they only give 25% off. when i changed room from lower floor to higher floor I forget my tooth brush and I asked them take my tooth brush back to me. they told me they couldn't find house keeping has throwed away. when I check out, I still pay full price. I won't stay this hotel again. No way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Luckyian168,

Thank you for your recent comments on TripAdvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during the outlined incident.

All public area refurbishment work has now been completed, I hope we will see you again in the future.

Kind regards
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We might have visited on the tail end of the renovations so many of the concerns expressed by other reviewers seem to have been resolved. We found the check-in/out process hassle-free, with the help of friendly staff. We had a nice room with a wonderful view of the park. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom very spacious which always helps with the little ones. We didn't have a chance to try the food as we only stayed for one night. We were happy with our stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife booked us in for 2 nights based on the Pullman's location without reading any reviews - after reading some of the reviews here I was mildly concerned. Firstly - there are indeed major renovations in progress so I requested a renovated room which was not a problem. Secondly it was confirmed that we wouldn't be disturbed by noise. As for other listed problems on this site, we must have been lucky - lifts were fast, quick checkout, well priced parking, the air conditioning blew ice old, great continental breakfast and staff were very friendly (especially the waiter Tony). My wife and I love gym work, and the gym was well appointed both for cardio and weights. My only criticisms pertain to a lack of a working exhaust fan in the bathroom and the fact that on the Saturday night the pool was not open 24 hours as per the hotel signage. We swam on the Friday night around midnight, but after talking to a cleaner on the Sat night after attempting to access the pool after midnight, he believed it was open only till 11pm. This won't affect the majority of clients (and I don't blame the hotel for not wanting to deal with 24 hours of pool use), but the signage is incorrect and the staff are confused on this matter. Location is fantastic - right next to the Sydney museum and Hyde Park, and we enjoyed the walks to China Town, City Central and Darling Harbour. The 18th floor room itself was clean, spacious, well appointed and had a great range of movies + well equipped fridge. Stunning views from the room, gym, spa, pool and lift areas. We definitely plan to be back in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Eugene Human

Been to Pullman Sydney Hyde Park? Share your experiences!