“Do not recommend” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
NY
“Do not recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

This might be fine for business travelers who have platinum Hilton cards and get special treatment but for the rest of us, this is not an experience to pay for.

The problems began when I arrived to check in at 10am after traveling 18+ hours from NY. The check-in agent told me check-in was at 3pm therefore my room would not be free till then. When I told her of my request upon booking for early check-in, she responded with great irritation that the hotel is under no obligation to give me a room until 3pm. It's at this moment that any respectful front desk employee would make a phone call, try to ring housekeeping, do anything to give the guest the impression she is trying to make an effort. Nothing.

Next was the argument over trying to get bag tags as a receipt that I'd left four bags with my valuables in their possession until 3pm check in. "No, the hotel keeps the tags" she insisted. I tried to explain it was customary in all hotels around the world that hotels and guests kept records of bag tags as proof in the event of lost or misplaced luggage. Recognizing her passive aggressive tone and unwillingness to work with me, I proceeded to make the same request of a bell boy who gave me bag tags without an issue. I was free to wander the streets of Sydney for the next 5 hours...

When 3pm rolled around we went up to our room which was tiny and not really worth the wait. The sink was broken and maintenance was called. Hours later they still hadn't come and told me they had no record of my original request.

Internet is $29.99 a day. Come on! This is 2008-- build it into the room rate but don't offend me by asking for an extra $30. This might be something the business travelers pay because their corporations foot the bill but even they should find it outrageous.

The hotel had an event on the Saturday night I stayed that made that evening especially uncomfortable. Upon returning from a movie at 12:30am, we could not physically walk into the hotel. The entrance and driveway was totally blocked by drunk party revelers who were in various stages of disarray. Once we pushed our way in, we ended up in an elevator with more of these party guests. One was jumping up and down in the elevator ride, hazing other guests in the elevator and screaming. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude, I go to parties, drink and have fun, but I do not behave like an animal like these people did. When we told the hotel about the experience upon checkout they handed us a questionnaire to fill out. Given how it felt to be a guest at the Sydney Hilton, I have a hunch my complaint will fall into the cracks of the corporate system.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — everything else
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this newly refurbished hotel for only 1 night as we had a function to attend in one of the many meeting/ball rooms on the property.
The hotel itself is a well established hotel in the heart of Sydney and walking distance from any part of the central city area.
The main entrance is from Pitt Street, and as we drove there we used the parking garage below. $30 for overnight.
Reception is fairly small but open and does have a kiosk but on our check-in the staff were very slow. 15 minutes standing there.
We were located on the 42nd floor, standard room. This was very clean and new, good bathroom and shower with separate bath. Toiletries were 1st class. Room was a little on the small side, but good bed and flat TV (with bad reception).
Overall a good but not great comfortable hotel. It also has the famous (in Sydney anyway) Marble Bar which is most impressive in it's art decadence and the Zeta Bar which is one of the most popular nightclubs in town, although staying at the hotel doesn't give you any advantage over the queue that streaches the length of the property. Breakfast is the usual buffet affair which is quite nice but expensive.
Oh, and the function and the room it was in was great, including the food and drinks.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Reception
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I have stayed at the Hilton in Sydney many times while visiting family in Sydney and will return many times again. I continue to return for 3 reasons.

1. This place has the BEST breakfast you can imagine. They have EVERYTHING! Ive stayed at many 5 star hotels and nothing has come close to the selection and outstanding service you receive. (make sure you get breakfast included in your booking)

2. The rooms. Although sometimes perhaps small, they are extremely clean & comfortable. Nice plasma TV screens, really confortable beds and funky modern bathrooms. Those who complained about the bathrooms in other reviews should gain some appreciation for modern living.

3. Service. Overall service is outstanding, including the "magic" button in the room and helpfullness of reception and the friendly staff at the front door.

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. Absolutly fantastic!

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Readers may wish to know that I am a diamond card holder with the Hilton group (which gives me upgrades). Furthermore my wife and I are fairly well travelled and neither of us will see 50 years old again.

This hotel is more of a businessperson's resting place than a traveller's. The bedrooms are small and any more than 1 suitcase becomes a problem in terms of hanging space and space in the room for case storage. The bathroom is , for me, bizarre : built of frosted glass it affords no privacy or discretion, but the shower cubicle is great. Sound insulation to the outside of the bedroom is not brilliant , and you will hear doors slam.

The hotel is well located in one of the main city centre roads and is close to most things. The outstanding Victoria shopping centre is immediately opposite, Darling Harbour is a 10 minute walk and Circular Quay,the Botanical Gardens and the Opera house about a 20 minute walk. The hotel has a really good, large gym and spa with regular classes for men and women, including a dedicated spinning room. The breakfast room is good with a reasonably good variety of food. Zeta's bar is a magnet for the young , and Saturday night is quite simply a parade of beautiful girls in refined clothing waiting to pay AUS 40 just to get in.

The Executive Club room is ok, but gets very crowded at happy hour time and the food variety is boring.

The general service level is high (but not in a Hong Kong way) and the Concierge desk is well managed.

Would I stay there again? Difficult to beat the location, but I would want more bedoom space and a discreet loo !!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small bedroom and indiscreet loo
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Great location, clean, quiet and prompt check in and check out.
Looked after us very well

• Liked — Beautifully equipped
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

I was there one night on business and was given a "king relaxation room." The room was next to the service elevator area so I heard noise. Also noise from closing doors. Mostly, the room was weird--the bathroom was sort of integrated into the room. Also, even on the 41st floor, with single-glazed windows you could hear the street. Hotel was crowded and does not have enough elevators. Only one restaurant, and that is very expensive. The hotel is well-located and the room I was in had been redone. Service was pretty good. I suspect it is quite expensive and for the money, you can probably do better in Sydney. Not nearly as good as some other luxury hotels in Sydney.

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

My Partner and I spent 3 days 2 night at the Executive Suite. It was Fantastic. At first I was a bit worry after reading so many bad reviews. But they were all wrong. The Executive Suite we stayed in was magnificent. The staff at the front counter and the concierge were very friendly and was willing to have out luggage checked in first before the check in time at 3pm. When we arrived into out suite, we found our luggage nice placed in the room. It was spacious and gorgeous. The bed was so comfortable and the pillow was as soft as the cloud. We had full access to the Executive Lounge and the service was even better.

• Liked — The Executive Suite
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Sydney? Share your experiences!