“Great hotel, consider parking elsewhere” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #39 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
“Great hotel, consider parking elsewhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am a frequent guest of the Sydney Hilton. Whilst the rooms are on the small side they are very well maintaned, clean, modern and functional. My recent stay was for four nights. On this occasion I had the opportuntity to dine at Glass resturant for dinner with a guest. We had a fantastic experience. The food and service was excellent. The restaurant was busy and deserves to be, although it is not inexpensive. The house special crab omlette and lamb were very good. Make sure you book in advance to secure a table. As always, I also had the breakfast buffet and it is very consistent and never dissapoints. They had an issue with the elevator - hopefully it is resolved. When you use your room card and select the floor, make sure the level stays selected. On this stay it dropped out a couple of times for me and also other guests. One gripe is the Secure ‘brand’ car park underneath. Whist it is not solely a Hilton issue it reflects poorly on their brand. It is very expensive, although as a hotel guest you get a discount. I experienced two issues. It is generally not self park. One morning, I was unable to find a parking attendent to release my car. It took over 10 minutes walking the levels with another customer to find some help. The second issue was worse and quite frankly demonstrates poor customer service and at the prices that are charged, unacceptable. They seemed to have some issue, so it took around 5 minutes to get my exit ticket. I was waiting for the attendant to bring my car and it did not arrive. One of the office staff came to me with my keys an apologised stating that I could take my car myself. After finding my car it was blocked in by two other vechiles. I approched one of the attendentents, to be abused for being impatientent. When I was finally leaving the attendendent was abusing at the top of his voice, other staff and customers. He was obviously having a very bad day and hopefully management have counselled him.

Room Tip: High floors are great
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

Whilst I was delighted to learn that you were pleased with your overall experience; I was naturally very disappointed about the level of service you received in Secure Car Park during your stay. Please be assured I am currently in contact with Secure Parking’s Senior Management in order to address these issues and ensure that our guests are receiving the standard of service expected at this facility.

On a more positive note, we are upgrading our key card system throughout the hotel very soon, which we anticipate will eliminate any issues previously encountered.

We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback and trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney, sometime in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Bright modern feel. We have stayed at the Hilton many times over the years and as a HH Diamond member chose to stay again this week.

This is a perfectly located Hotel, walk to Pitt Street Mall, Theatres, Darling Harbour, Haymarket. Hyde Park and many other attractions.

The standard rooms are well appointed and very comfortable but are SMALL. If you intend to spend a lot of time in the room then I would suggest to upgrade to a larger room.

Overall, a great and friendly place to stay whilst in Sydney.

Room Tip: If you intend to spend any length of time in your room, upgrade to a larger room as the standard roo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Many thanks for your review following your stay with us and we appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton brand.

It was lovely to read that you enjoyed our hotel’s location and service and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Having stayed at the Hilton a few times for work I found the standard rooms modern but small. Perfectly okay for one night. This time I was upgraded and the room was spacious with a lounge area, and very appealing bathroom adjacent to the bedroom.

Room service is fast and good quality, and the overall room fit out is simple yet modern. The only downside is that the elevators are noisy and you hear them all night, so book a room away from the elevators!

Good location, and it has a great restaurant - Glass - which is excellent for dinner.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room if staying more than one night or travelling with someone, and request a ro...
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about Hilton Sydney.

I appreciate your comments and was glad to read that you enjoyed your guestroom during your stay. I hope we will see you again very soon.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

On my stay I couldn't really fault the hotel. The room was nice, clean and modern, the view was OK. Location is great. I got a cheap rate for a Sunday night (about $150) and was more than happy with what I got. Generally when I look to book here, the rate seems a bit high for what you get, but if you can get a good deal, definitely worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Hilton Sydney earlier this year.

I appreciate your comments and I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Positives:The location, the lobby, the room on the 34th level ie the view, the wood looking back wall on bed, the square pillows, so soft!!!!! The free wifi in lobby. Didn't go to the restaurant, but it was packed and very upmarket looking with a fantastically high ceining, you knew you were in a Hotel.The negatives: No hot chocolate option for teenage daughter, all coffee and tea. Pool/gym area a bit dated looking, didn't know of sensors in fridge. Great mix of travellers all being catered for - definitely would return, and I should mention we got an incredible 1 night special price after searching on internet for just that, and a long weekend. Staff very obliging when asked to look after bags from well before check in, and to give us a 'room with a view'. PS re sleep quality: blinds a plus. We nearly didn't wake up.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want - we got the city view and a bit of the water
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you very much for posting your review following your visit to Hilton Sydney.

It was our pleasure to serve you and I am glad you had a wonderful stay at our fine property. However, should you wish to order hot chocolate beverages in future, please do not hesitate to contact MAGIC via your room phone who can organise this via Room Service for you, or alternatively hot chocolates are also served at Cafe Cino in the hotel lobby.

Thank you for choosing Hilton Sydney and we hope to see you again soon.

Chengdu, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel, however, overall it was a disappointing stay for such a renowned 5-Star hotel.

Not having free Wifi and having t pay $30 dollars for 24 hours is unbelievable in this day and age - and was compounded by having to pay twice when I used a computer in the business centre for 5 minutes.

I waited for 20 minutes for the Concierge to turn up to try and change a flight booking - and after 20 minutes gave up and returned to my room When I did get the Concierge he graciously dialed a number and handed the phone to me - which I could have easily done myself.

Another reviewer mentioned the lighting being difficult - and I fully concur - trying to get the lights turned on was a mission.

When I compare the Hilton with other 5 star hotels (Raddisson, Langham for example) I would opt for for either of these.

For me I wasn't impressed as I hoped i would have been.

Location however is excellent.

Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback about Hilton Sydney.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with various aspects of your stay and we have taken your comments on board.
I am aware that our Concierge team, when contacting the Airlines on our guests’ behalf, are often required by the Airline to pass on the phone to the passenger travelling, as part of their security standards and requirements; however we sincerely regret any disappointment or inconvenience caused at the time and should you wish to provide us with any further feedback regarding this situation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at Hilton Sydney.

Once again thank you for sharing your views with us and I do hope we will have another opportunity to serve you again at Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here with my partner recently for a weekend, and honestly no complaints with the room, staff, or hotel in general - but the parking situation and parking attendants leave much to be desired. This would not however stop me staying again.

The hotel was quite easy to find, even being in the middle of Sydney. Chose not to utilise the valet parking option (in hindsight we probably just should have) instead using the secure parking option underneath the hotel. There wasn't much direction on where to go, so just drove down, found a car park, and parked the car. Started walking towards the elevators and had a car park attendant come and yell at us for parking our own car...? Told us we had to bring the car for him to park - quite confusing as we did not realise that the 'non-valet' parking still required someone else to park your car. Not to mention the gent was really rude about it, and made the whole process very confusing. Unpacked all bags from the car, left the keys in the car (not overly happy about that) and went up to the hotel.

We were early and the room was not ready, however the porters took our bags without an issue and we wandered around for a couple of hours until the room was ready - still earlier than expected so that was good.

Room was on the 26th floor, and luggage already in the room. We had just booked the basic room, however we were so impressed by having a TV in the shower - have never seen anything like this before - I guess it wasn't 100% necessary but it was just seriously amazing!! Would have been good to have a bath to really enjoy it.

The bed was nice and soft, the pillows were perfect for me, however did notice they have a pillow menu as well. They do have an automatic mini bar, and again nothing unexpected, but $7.50 for a can of coke - you can order up another fridge to put your own items in, but this seemed like too much trouble. We just made do with a bit of space in their fridge. Must have knocked one of the items at one stage as we had a phantom tonic water show up on our account, however this was taken off with no fuss on check out.

We were out of the room on both evenings, and it was such a pleasure coming back after the run down service - and can I say the black out blinds are the best I have ever experienced - we woke up at 8am still thinking it was the middle of the night!

Did not dine in the hotel, however did have some drinks at the Zeta Bar - looks like they have won lots of awards and they are quite deserving - really well decorated, if you book you can have your own private booth thing, and the cocktails are fantastic. Again a bit pricey, but what we expected from a 5 star hotel.

Check out was very smooth, they do have a 1.5% surcharge on credit cards, which I think is quite reasonable given other places charge a lot more.

Went down to get the car at the finalisation of our stay, and told the attendants we were hotel guests - this then gave us the hotel guest discount - from memory it ended up costing $95.00 for the two days just to park the car - Valet parking at the hotel was only about $60 per night and for the service next time I would pay for this. The lady that got our ticket for us asked if we'd parked ourselves, and I did mention I'd tried but someone had then yelled at us, and she seems very put out that I'd even mentioned anything. This is definitely something for the Hilton to look at, as, though I realise it is not their company, unfortunately this service does reflect on their guests experience.

Overall, we did have a fantastic stay and will stay again, however will probably choose valet over the regular parking next time to avoid a slightly unpleasant beginning and end to our visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Felix B, Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us on Trip Advisor.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and we sincerely regret any inconvenience or frustration caused as a result of the service you received from the team at Secure Car Park on this occasion – Please be assured I have personally shared your valuable comments with Secure Car Park's Senior Management team.
However, I am pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us at Hilton Sydney and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.